Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I keep or cancel LoJack and Wheel tire protection already bought?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 08:09 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Do or don't have all the above installed/ bought. However, when spouting erroneously info I have to speak up. The current generation of LoJack transponders (for the last 8 yrs at least) are completely stand alone units. Nothing gets hooked up to cars electronics. Also a self contained battery that they say should be replaced every 4-6 yrs. Here in the Bay Area Lojack has a 96 % recovery rate in less than 12 hrs. There are stories of 5 min recoveries in SF. It's on their website. Then some said I don't want my car back if it gets stolen. Guess what- you have no choice. If it s a write off fine but most times they'll fix it and it's yours. I'd rather have my car tracked and found with min damage or no damage at all. The other side of the coin is that most high end cars are stolen for export and never seen again. The choice is yours but be informed with accurate info.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:40 PM
Guzzgreg
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by ajskydiver
LoJack has always been a total ripoff. It's completely outdated technology.

For it to work, the LEO's car must be equipped with the LoJack receiver. Where I live only 1 Sheriff deputy's car had it and it has a very limited range. If that deputy wasn't working, oh well. My county has about 1 million people and the Sheriff's Dept. is very large.

I don't remember the detection range, but it's worthless.

BINGO!!!

Also the local PD if they do have it in their patrol vehicles have to keep it on. I hear it tends to be a PITA when it is on signaling, beeping so many keep if turned off.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:10 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

Great news! I'm glad to hear you had a positive outcome.
I wonder if it helped that you were helping someone else look for a car too.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:31 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Again misinformation. The tracker in a patrol vehicle is hard wired to ignition. Always on. I here, I hear. Do I sound like a Lojack expert. I am.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:31 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,199 Likes on 578 Posts

I am a big fan of the wheel and rim insurance. I have had two nails in my rear tires in 18 months. I have had two bad scrapes of my right rear rim. I was given brand new P zeros on both occasions and I have had my rim repaired twice and it looks brand new. In big metropolitan areas like LA (where I live), the wheel and rim insurance makes sense to me, anyway.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:57 AM
OTM
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Another fan of wheel and tire insurance. Previous car (30 months of ownership) three new rear tires and two repaired wheels. Also, piece of mind in daily driving during Chicago winters. Well worth $1,000.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:58 AM
Guzzgreg
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Pmorritt
Again misinformation. The tracker in a patrol vehicle is hard wired to ignition. Always on. I here, I hear. Do I sound like a Lojack expert. I am.

Well "Mr Expert" Maybe it's different now. But in 2000 my sister's brand new Nisson was stolen. I went to her local police Pct. and being as I worked for another LEA they let me ride along in a sector car. The PO driving stated "lets go down to the area we recover a lot of cars and we will TURN ON THE LOJACK there and see if we get a hit." And he did in fact turn something on there right in front of me. Like I said maybe it has changed now.

BTW if thieves are professional and they want your car they are going to take it regardless of what anti theft device you have installed. Also Lojack can be defeated easily. To the OP save your money for DE classes.

Quick Reply: Should I keep or cancel LoJack and Wheel tire protection already bought?