Sponsored by:

X51 kit - 991.2S - Suncoast

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 09:46 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Nin Din Din
Agreed. I'm talking with two right now. Will see where this goes.
I’d like to do the hardware installation myself and have the dealer do the ecu. The ecu flash would be less than an hour but I know I’d be charged an hour. Still, less expensive than them doing the whole thing.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:49 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^^Guys the reflash is linked to the VIN number which is linked to the ECU if the VIN/ECU/PIWIS does not match, the reflash will not happen - I do not know if there is some form of manual overide. The dealers are also audited.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:58 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
ZL1 already ran Hockenheim Long course in 1:03.7 with 4 cylinders deactivated to save fuel.
Originally Posted by randr
Given there is Hockenheim Kurs (short) or Hockenheim GP or the power course which is shorter than Kurs.............guys don't derail the thread.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:19 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 724 Posts

^^^^Guys the reflash is linked to the VIN number which is linked to the ECU if the VIN/ECU/PIWIS does not match, the reflash will not happen - I do not know if there is some form of manual overide. The dealers are also audited.
Exactly. They upload the VIN to the Germany hq, then they release a code on PIWIS. That’s good for all types of hardware and software changes. Even small personalizations that were done in the past are not available

Hence my idea to get the turbos and upload an aftermarket tune. Some warranty issues but better than an aftermarket turbo. Ideally the stealership would gladly take your money for the turbos and installation and you pursue the ECU flash elsewhere. I don’t think they would go for it.
Buying the turbos by yourself makes this whole debacle far less economically interesting.

One point not discussed, having the power of the GTS on a S model without a higher premium that the GTS probably has ...
Old 07-25-2017, 11:01 AM
Nin Din Din
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Spoke with SunCoast this morning. Was told 15-17 hours for installation, which seems pretty rich. They don't have a kit in stock but one has been ordered. Apparently they don't have experience with this kit as they couldn't comment on the potential for perceptible turbo lag.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:08 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Exactly. You buy the kit from Suncoast or from where ever you want and the seller ties the kit to your vin. Makes no difference who does the hardware installation. The real deal is when the Tech connects the computer to the OBD port. If Suncoast or whoever did it right the Tech will now be able to flash the ecu.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:10 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nin Din Din
Was told 15-17 hours for installation
I don't understand how that is possible. We're talking about swapping out 2 turbos and some brake cooling ducting, and a flash. Guess I'm missing something. Shoot, my dealer did a sport exhaust installation on my 911.1 and that was about 2 or 3 hours on what appears to me a more tedious installation.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:18 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 724 Posts

Originally Posted by flickroll
I don't understand how that is possible. We're talking about swapping out 2 turbos and some brake cooling ducting, and a flash. Guess I'm missing something. Shoot, my dealer did a sport exhaust installation on my 911.1 and that was about 2 or 3 hours on what appears to me a more tedious installation.
Agree, they are probably on a learning curve. Charging 15 hs doesn’t mean will take it so.

The dealer just confirmed the hardware will likely fit on a base model but he’s not sure Porsche will release the software
Old 07-25-2017, 12:38 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Given there is Hockenheim Kurs (short) or Hockenheim GP or the power course which is shorter than Kurs.............guys don't derail the thread. .
I may have got a little carried away just playing. It was a joke.

Regarding the apparently excessive labor times quoted - the dealers were quoting silly high labor times for adding sport exhaust to the 991.2 when the car came out. Perhaps there's a learning curve involved ? Some negotiation with the service manager may be in order.

Good luck. Should be very cool.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:39 PM
Nin Din Din
Instructor

Originally Posted by John Mclane
Agree, they are probably on a learning curve. Charging 15 hs doesn’t mean will take it so.

The dealer just confirmed the hardware will likely fit on a base model but he’s not sure Porsche will release the software
Agreed. Probably on a learning curve, thus the high time estimate. At the appropriate time it seems wise to determine the service tech's experience and whether the service dept charges actual time or flat rate.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:41 PM
randr
Banned

Minor update - I dropped my GTS off for a service this morning. I was speaking to the parts manager and asked again about installation time - he went and checked and the time was "ALLOW 12 hours". I asked does that mean 12 hours of labour and he said up to 12 hours depending on model and condition.

I'm not sure why Suncoast would be recommending more
Old 07-25-2017, 09:39 PM
Nin Din Din
Instructor

Well, I'm driving a '17 C4S (Agate Grey), with less than 3000 miles on the clock. The kit should slide in quicker than s--t if the tech knows his way around.

Thanks for checking. Will see what dealers here have to say. I'll keep you guys informed.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:18 PM
randr
Banned

^^^ great it would be good to see Porsche dealers getting the same recommendations.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:35 PM
surquhar
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 61 Posts

I stood and watched my Indy change out my exhaust on my .2 - it took them less than an hour. The turbos are right there and very accessible, there is no way it will take more than 3 or 4 hours max to do the swap. And I'm adding time for precision.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:03 AM
Nin Din Din
Instructor

Well,my favorite of the of two dealers got back to me this morning. Mind you, my C4S is already equipped with Sport Chrono and PSE. The dealer advises that, the "initial prep work and installation of all components will tally 17.5 hours. The calibrations, coding, alignment, setting readiness and driving the car, will tally an additional 6 hours." Their pricing brings the total cost to just over $400 per hp.

Quick Reply: X51 kit - 991.2S - Suncoast