Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X51 kit - 991.2S - Suncoast

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 08:57 AM
Nin Din Din
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Congratulations. Sounds like it's a nice package: torque that you can feel, a bit of a change in sound track ( for the good), and marginally perceptible turbo lag. I can't imagine the PDK shifting quicker but then I'm rarely in sport plus.

How does the car drive when you're not pushing it? Driving through town, stop and go, normal traffic city driving? I would presume it's the same as before since the (bigger) turbos wouldn't be in play?

8 hours+/- for complete installation? I wish your service reps worked around here! Well done.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:07 AM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

randr - you've described well how I feel my GTS performs!
Old 09-12-2017, 10:01 PM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nin Din Din
How does the car drive when you're not pushing it? Driving through town, stop and go, normal traffic city driving? I would presume it's the same as before since the (bigger) turbos wouldn't be in play?
In daily mode, I tend to have the suspension in the soft setting and Sport mode on (I also have RAS). I would describe it as a combination of "leggy" or "rangy", agile and comfortable. However, as soon as you hit the go button it takes off.

Definitely has a lot of Grand Tourer character in a good way. The added low to mid range torque gives the car that big engine in small body feel.

The engine response is excellent, last Xmas I was thinking about a 488 Spyder and spent about 8 hours in the test vehicle. The engine in that car is fantastic, super responsive - hits the redline like a hammer. My S arrived in Feb and I felt the engine had a lot of that 488 character in terms of responsiveness. The X51 has magnified that even more.

Originally Posted by bwiele
randr - you've described well how I feel my GTS performs!
Thats good to know! I'm very happy with the move and certainly very surprised at how much harder it pulls (obviously because there is more torque across the whole rev range ). I'm very happy with the blend of power, performance and usability. A very happy camper
Old 09-12-2017, 10:26 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

������
Old 09-12-2017, 10:33 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree. I think the 991.2 GTS/X51 package is a real winner.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:51 PM
P-car fan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking forward to a full review once it's broken in!
Old 09-14-2017, 09:24 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm glad everything worked out for you!
But right now all your observations are subjective.
Unless you can supply objective test data before and after, it's all subjective.
My 991.2 C4S has more than enough power, I can't understand modifying a perfectly good vehicle for very little HP.
I would be veru concerned that the modified product would have performance and quality problems.
I'm glad you have none.-Richard
Old 09-14-2017, 09:56 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by budrichard
Unless you can supply objective test data before and after, it's all subjective.
My 991.2 C4S has more than enough power, I can't understand modifying a perfectly good vehicle for very little HP.
I would be veru concerned that the modified product would have performance and quality problems.
What a buzz kill. You must be the life of the neighborhood block party.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:04 AM
randr
Banned

Hi Richard, I totally agree and I will happily supply the data as requested - I will be able to do this towards the end of the first week in October.

I run my car in a series that involves hills and also is pure hill climb - torque wins out in this environment
Old 09-14-2017, 11:11 AM
Nin Din Din
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
LMAO! Fabulous!
Old 09-14-2017, 10:21 PM
randr
Banned

I do get where hes coming from. Although I'm confident in my appraisal .

I was expecting the differences to be more subtle than they actually appear (I will log the car on the clock as this generates a lot of data across the performance range).

Another point worth noting is the transition to peak torque appears smoother than with the original S specification. I noticed this because I'm having to go through a run in period so cycle up and down the rev range.

My gut feel is this has been engineered in to further enhance the linear feel of the car. I am genuinely impressed.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:53 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

STOP continuously stomping all over my Post's.
It's getting tiresome.
If you have something to offer, fine, but this adds nothing to the Thread.-Richard
Old 09-15-2017, 05:46 AM
DaniMonteiro991
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's really good!

Thanks for sharing your experience and your knowledge
Looking forward to see the data.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:14 AM
Fitcherama
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My point here would be why any concerns based on the fact this is a genuine Porsche manufactured and fitted upgrade? It's the same kit/map as installed on the GTS. Tried and tested to those exacting Porsche standards. Also entirely backed by Porsche warranty. It's not comparable to a third party tune/hardware upgrade at all. I also think the OP has clearly stated that the extra 30hp and linear torque has made noticeable differences to his cars performance. You don't need charts and data to 'feel' that. It will of course provide solid back up to those claims. Again, this is simply a GTS package fitted to an S car. Can't see why that would cause any sleepless nights at all.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:50 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

At the same time, all your comments are personal opinions based on ZERO facts. Do you have anything to back up your points the X51 has no performance benefit and installing one of these is plagued with performance and quality problems? Porsche must be doing a great job marketing the GTS on fairly tales.

Here is my factual contribution ......

This is the OEM X51 Powerkit that the GTS has. Look no further than the published performance numbers Porsche releases.

What performance and quality problems?? Unlike the .1 X51, the .2 X51 is pretty much software and larger turbochargers. Much less intrusive work than on the 991.1's. I'd have zero hesitation on this version. The .1 required dropping the engine and doing work on the top end.

As far as the mentioned shift point differences when in sport/sport + when pushing the car that is correct. The X51 software has different more aggressive software mapping. Like the jump from Sport to Sport + (although not that extreme).

Let me know when the next block party is.

Quick Reply: X51 kit - 991.2S - Suncoast