Sponsored by: Road Spy

Would you buy a stolen recovery CPO?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 02:53 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by The New 911
Still I would like to see the over rev report for I would except a sales persons opinion of what is ok. If there existed a time and place for over revs to happen with a PDK transmission this would be the time. Seven thousand miles a month is a ton of mileage. That is crazy driving, what in the hell was he doing?

Further, depend's on what options the car has too. What color inside and out, full leather, Burmeister Stereo and on and on. Usually the S Turbos tend to have more options since the car is already pushing $200K and at that price for a new TTS there are no pretenders.

This is at a Porsche Dealership, if so is there a link to the Dealership and car?
I don't want to blast the dealership just yet. Looking to see if it's worth getting at an extremely discounted price. The stigma will never go away, especially for anyone that buys it. But if the fun can be had, at a substantial savings, why not? If the selling price is low enough to budget in a rebuild, might make a fun beast. Just a thought.
Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 517
Size:  131.1 KB
Old 01-08-2016, 09:14 PM
Td33
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Wouldn't touch the car. Who knows what took place in the car as well as the obvious.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:43 PM
alpha motoring
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Holy smokes 14k in 2 months, someone had fun

What's "discounted"?
Old 01-09-2016, 11:40 PM
chiffonade
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

one word: no.

actually make that two words: hell no.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:32 AM
The New 911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
I don't want to blast the dealership just yet. Looking to see if it's worth getting at an extremely discounted price. The stigma will never go away, especially for anyone that buys it. But if the fun can be had, at a substantial savings, why not? If the selling price is low enough to budget in a rebuild, might make a fun beast. Just a thought.
Attachment 1008726
Have you seen the DME report for yourself? When buying a car only YOU can determine what is "Reasonable" and "within parameters" since you are the one who will be living with it.

If you are serious hire an Indepedent Porsche Tech that does PPIs and pay to have a PPI performed on the car. That way the dealership will know you are serious. Also don't stop at a lower bid than what they are asking. Tell them you want a new set of MPSS tires and a full detailing though I imagine a detail to some extenet has been performed. And I know I'm pushing it but two or three years worth of oil changes. Which I imagine no oil change happened during that 14k mile joy ride. There are so many different angles thar one can advantage of as a purchaser.

I wonder if the dealership has received any insurance compensation yet?
Old 01-10-2016, 04:36 AM
Sh4wn
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too many unknowns.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:41 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts

I don't think I'd ever be "satisfied" with this car, long after the savings have worn off. For $110k, I'd think about it if the title and Carfax were still clear, but pass otherwise. If it's on the Carfax, forget it...you will never be able to sell it for any decent money.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:46 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks everyone for all of the sensible responses. It wasn't a car I could buy, but had someone thinking about it. Even if I could scratch out 100k, I won't get a car that I can't work on. Poor car will never be the same. The car was found undamaged (other than obvious), so they cleaned it up and I doubt it was turned in to any insurance.
Apparently when this POS came into the dealership, someone stated "don't judge a book by its cover!" Maybe they should've.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:59 AM
infinitybreaker
Intermediate

I got my car for 131k CPO. 14TTS with 8k miles. No stigma attached. So no this car is not worth it.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:10 AM
berkeley
Intermediate

If I was to buy this car three to four years down the road, I will take notice of the 'stolen' history and discount the value of the car over other choices I may have at that time.

However, if I see that it has since gone through say 30k miles of properly serviced history since the incident and the car has shown that it has experienced no ill effects from the incident, then I will make a discounted offer on the car also -- simply because of the fact that the history is there. Car wise, I will deem it mechanically sound, but its history remains tainted.

So perhaps whatever discount you get now, will be deducted down the road also. I am a value buyer, and I would not be tempted unless the discount to market is about $25-30k. Keep in mind that $130k is this car's asking and if the information is correct, a lower miles no history car is $10-15k more. That is also the asking price, meaning if the no history car can be negotiated down another $5-10k, then the negotiation of this car has to be even that much more to reach my delta price target.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a stolen recovery CPO?