Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Deciding between regular and the S

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 01:29 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey worf, re your questions: Never seen a TT without SC. I also wasn't the only one finding the differences so it looks like the enterprise has a full crew there. It just comes down to who wants to be who.

Not sure whether more surface area is required for the PCCB to match the same Dia of the irons. Have always thought about that aspect myself but just don't have the knowledge on what goes on there. I think a PCCB disc manufacturer would be the best to talk to on that subject. But as I said if the superior stopping power is all imaginary, which I don't believe for a second it is at all, then I'm happy to pay for the higher sense of security given the type of driving I get to do. Every edge is just that and when you roll with some very fast cars I can tell you every edge, psychological or not, is greatly appreciated. I'm pretty sure we could all argue the various cases till the cows come home, which is fun anyway. Bottom line: I'm happy and if you TT guys are happy with no regrets also then I'm stoked. No regrets and happiness is the best outcome all round.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:11 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by DoninDen
Do either of the options come in manual?
YES!
Old 12-19-2015, 09:46 AM
carnut52
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

Just a thought on resale. Do you think the resale or trade in value price of the TTS will be hurt when you have a $10k-20K brake job in the near future for the potential next owner?
Old 12-19-2015, 11:26 AM
FBA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my TTS...it's way faster than my lawnmower, much more so than a TT!

Live long and prosper!
Old 12-19-2015, 11:36 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by FBA
I love my TTS...it's way faster than my lawnmower, much more so than a TT!

Live long and prosper!
Geez and I thought I had a reeeeally fast lawnmower...

Shoulda anted up from just a basic cheap-*** TT.

Old 12-19-2015, 11:46 AM
FBA
Racer

I'll admit this - I always just buy the biggest, fastest, most expensive badging...because it's what I do...

I know there are usually one or two things I won't get in the designation below the top...so I always go for the biggest I can find.

Is it better? Probably not in all cases...but I just want the biggest, fastest etc...without rhyme or reason; it's just what I do.

And I wanted yellow calipers. All my other cars sport red ones...I wanted yellow and I wanted the "S" badging!!
Old 12-19-2015, 11:56 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by FBA
I'll admit this - I always just buy the biggest, fastest, most expensive badging...because it's what I do...

I know there are usually one or two things I won't get in the designation below the top...so I always go for the biggest I can find.

Is it better? Probably not in all cases...but I just want the biggest, fastest etc...without rhyme or reason; it's just what I do.

And I wanted yellow calipers. All my other cars sport red ones...I wanted yellow and I wanted the "S" badging!!
All the macro self justifications between TT vs TTS all boil down to this!

This makes sense to any real car guy!
Old 12-19-2015, 03:59 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by FBA

Don't mean to burst your bubble, but if your objective was to buy the "biggest, fastest, most expensive badging", you missed your target unless you are limiting it to Porsche's 991 model.
Old 12-20-2015, 12:22 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
Never seen a TT without SC
When I was looking found more than few new ones w/o sport chrono.

Here's one (12/20/15):

http://www.knopfauto.com/new/Porsche...35d72eeb69.htm
Old 12-20-2015, 05:10 PM
carnut52
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

Having just bought a non-S TT for what I thought was a steal (list $170K-for $135) with 6K miles, I almost traded it in for a 2016 TTS a week later. I do think the average driver can tell the difference between the two cars. I couldn't take losing $20K in a week (another round of taxes and now the TT was $125k wholesale). If I was doing it again I would only buy the TTS for resale alone plus all the goodies that are standard. Bragging rights are nice too
Old 12-20-2015, 07:57 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by Hothonda
When I was looking found more than few new ones w/o sport chrono.

Here's one (12/20/15):

http://www.knopfauto.com/new/Porsche...35d72eeb69.htm
US has greater number of these cars than what we do so I guess your way with the car so affordable (well in our terms) finding a buyer is not so hard as what it would be here? Importer here has obviously learned from 997 that these cars can be very hard to shift w/o SC. Our 991tt cars get a lot of standard equip you guys have to tick (maybe to help justify the ridiculous prices we pay here) and SC is one of them. I recall seeing a few new 997tts w/o it and they sat and sat, eventually sold quite a while later with huge discounts apparently.

Originally Posted by carnut52
Having just bought a non-S TT for what I thought was a steal (list $170K-for $135) with 6K miles, I almost traded it in for a 2016 TTS a week later. I do think the average driver can tell the difference between the two cars. I couldn't take losing $20K in a week (another round of taxes and now the TT was $125k wholesale). If I was doing it again I would only buy the TTS for resale alone plus all the goodies that are standard. Bragging rights are nice too
This was another reason of mine also. Optioning up one of these is quite costly and you just don't get it back. Options help sell it on quicker over one without but the price doesn't reflect all the money spent and that becomes very painful at changeover time. Bragging rights is a nice bonus but wasn't on my list of key reasons. Same as the no dust PCCB, but now I realize just how favorable that no dust situation really is.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:37 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
US has greater number of these cars than what we do so I guess your way with the car so affordable (well in our terms) finding a buyer is not so hard as what it would be here? Importer here has obviously learned from 997 that these cars can be very hard to shift w/o SC. Our 991tt cars get a lot of standard equip you guys have to tick (maybe to help justify the ridiculous prices we pay here) and SC is one of them. I recall seeing a few new 997tts w/o it and they sat and sat, eventually sold quite a while later with huge discounts apparently.
Agree.....The new '15/'16 non sport chrono TT cars had been listed a long time...s/c optional @ $4090

Here's what it gets you on the TT (including over boost):

The Sport Chrono Package including dynamic engine mounts is standard in the 911 Turbo S models and available as an option for the new 911 Turbo. This integrated system provides simultaneous enhancement for the chassis, including rear-axle steering, engine, transmission, and aerodynamics.

The main features include a digital and analog stopwatch mounted on the dashboard, a performance display in the Porsche Communication Management (PCM) system, the Sport Plus button, and the overboost function.
Activate Sport Plus mode and here’s what happens: Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM), the electronic suspension management, becomes more responsive. PASM and Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC)—standard in the new 911 Turbo S—switch to Sport Plus mode for a firmer suspension setting, more direct steering while cornering, and increased roll stabilization. The rear-axle steering also reacts more directly—for even more agile steering. As part of Porsche Active Aerodynamics (PAA), the automatic adjustment of the front and rear spoilers is also impacted in the performance setting in Sport Plus mode. So you can make full use of the performance potential of your 911 Turbo.

In Sport Plus mode, the trigger threshold for PSM is raised. Agility is perceptibly enhanced when braking for corners with PSM, allowing sportier braking and exit acceleration. For maximum dexterity, PSM can be set to standby while the car is
still in Sport Plus mode. Although, for safety, it’s still there in the background. With the Sport or Sport Plus button active, under full acceleration, the maximum boost pressure in the lower and medium speed ranges is now temporarily increased by approximately 2 psi: the overboost. Engine torque is also boosted by 37 lb.-ft. for a short time—to 524 lb.-ft. in the 911 Turbo and the 911 Turbo Cabriolet. In the 911 Turbo S models, it goes up to 553 lb.-ft.

The Sport Chrono Package has two additional functions. The first is Launch Control, which helps achieve optimal acceleration from a standing start. The second function is the motorsport-derived gearshift strategy. Using this, PDK optimizes shift points to the shortest possible shift times for maximum acceleration.

Last edited by Hothonda; 12-21-2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:44 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Verinnal
The "S" is the correct answer. I looked it up in the Bible and God said so.
this(sSSSSSSSS)

-Snake
Old 12-21-2015, 06:19 AM
FBA
Racer

Originally Posted by fast1
Don't mean to burst your bubble, but if your objective was to buy the "biggest, fastest, most expensive badging", you missed your target unless you are limiting it to Porsche's 991 model.
I was obviously referring to the 991...
Old 12-21-2015, 07:44 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by Hothonda
Agree.....The new '15/'16 non sport chrono TT cars had been listed a long time...s/c optional @ $4090

Here's what it gets you on the TT (including over boost):

The Sport Chrono Package including dynamic engine mounts is standard in the 911 Turbo S models and available as an option for the new 911 Turbo. This integrated system provides simultaneous enhancement for the chassis, including rear-axle steering, engine, transmission, and aerodynamics.

The main features include a digital and analog stopwatch mounted on the dashboard, a performance display in the Porsche Communication Management (PCM) system, the Sport Plus button, and the overboost function.
Activate Sport Plus mode and here’s what happens: Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM), the electronic suspension management, becomes more responsive. PASM and Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC)—standard in the new 911 Turbo S—switch to Sport Plus mode for a firmer suspension setting, more direct steering while cornering, and increased roll stabilization. The rear-axle steering also reacts more directly—for even more agile steering. As part of Porsche Active Aerodynamics (PAA), the automatic adjustment of the front and rear spoilers is also impacted in the performance setting in Sport Plus mode. So you can make full use of the performance potential of your 911 Turbo.

In Sport Plus mode, the trigger threshold for PSM is raised. Agility is perceptibly enhanced when braking for corners with PSM, allowing sportier braking and exit acceleration. For maximum dexterity, PSM can be set to standby while the car is
still in Sport Plus mode. Although, for safety, it’s still there in the background. With the Sport or Sport Plus button active, under full acceleration, the maximum boost pressure in the lower and medium speed ranges is now temporarily increased by approximately 2 psi: the overboost. Engine torque is also boosted by 37 lb.-ft. for a short time—to 524 lb.-ft. in the 911 Turbo and the 911 Turbo Cabriolet. In the 911 Turbo S models, it goes up to 553 lb.-ft.

The Sport Chrono Package has two additional functions. The first is Launch Control, which helps achieve optimal acceleration from a standing start. The second function is the motorsport-derived gearshift strategy. Using this, PDK optimizes shift points to the shortest possible shift times for maximum acceleration.
I have found it's the small things which aid and/or enhance the car's actual performance which actually make a far greater difference to the ownership experience than any aesthetic option offerings, and having no SC is really selling yourself short imo. No way would I even consider buying a TT without it.

Quick Reply: Deciding between regular and the S