Sponsored by: Road Spy

Deciding between regular and the S

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 12:46 AM
islandtrader
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Deciding between regular and the S

This decision is driving me nuts. I haven't driven a S yet. I have just driven the regular turbo and I thought it was a fantastic dialy driver. How much better is the S? This turbo I drove didn't have the cermanics but had everything else. Will I really notice not having the decals and the 40 extra hp? Looks like the price difference on the market is like 10-15k with similar miles.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:49 AM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 679 Likes on 373 Posts

Been beating to death. All the S people will tell you to spend the money. All the non S people will tell you to save the money and if you really need more power a tuner will put you past the S.

I think the main deciding factor, or at least for me, ceramics or not. That is your answer based on that.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:10 AM
Flowmacks
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, that's kind of the main thing going on in this section.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:13 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by islandtrader
This decision is driving me nuts. I haven't driven a S yet. I have just driven the regular turbo and I thought it was a fantastic dialy driver. How much better is the S? This turbo I drove didn't have the cermanics but had everything else. Will I really notice not having the decals and the 40 extra hp? Looks like the price difference on the market is like 10-15k with similar miles.
Really? The difference is a meager 10 to 15K between an optioned up base and a factory sorted package, and you can't rationalize the benefits even from a resale perspective??? You don't even need to drive one to figure that one out.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:42 AM
GrandLaker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you buy the base you'll always kick yourself for not spending the extra to get the S.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:38 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandLaker
If you buy the base you'll always kick yourself for not spending the extra to get the S.
LOL. No.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:53 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Went through the same exercise. Originally decided on a new Turbo with Sports Chrono and PDCC.
I specifically did not want the Ceramic Brakes due mainly to high replacement costs of $35 K and being too
sensitive and "grabby" on light application. Although most of my tracking is with my GT3, I planned to
occasionally track the Turbo as well and the First and Second generations of Ceramic brakes had a very short Track Lifetime with no substitutes being available. Both the TT and TTS have more than "adequate" power and a careful analysis of the Specs shows them to be even closer than the advertised "40 HP"
indicates. A year ago, I would have bought the TT new and been pleased by the modest depreciation
and outstanding performance. Having delayed until a few weeks ago, the small cost difference of $10-15K between a good used TT and TTS (vs $30K-$40K new) made it a far "Better Buy". Also, the new Gen 3 Ceramic Brakes seem to be holding up much better than the previous generations on the Track and the availability of options, "reconditioning" or substituting Iron Rotors with no Caliper changes made it a "No Brainer" for me. I would caution you to make your purchase through an authorized Porsche Dealer and a "CPO" TTS which would give you 2 years of additional Warranty and your guarantee of a car which has been thoroughly checked and tested and is as close to "Perfect" as possible since parts and repairs can be VERY costly. I bought a lightly used and lightly optioned CPO'd 2015 TTS last month for $167K which I am delighted with. Best of luck on your purchase.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:25 PM
Verinnal
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "S" is the correct answer. I looked it up in the Bible and God said so.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:40 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
Went through the same exercise. Originally decided on a new Turbo with Sports Chrono and PDCC.
I specifically did not want the Ceramic Brakes due mainly to high replacement costs of $35 K and being too
sensitive and "grabby" on light application. Although most of my tracking is with my GT3, I planned to
occasionally track the Turbo as well and the First and Second generations of Ceramic brakes had a very short Track Lifetime with no substitutes being available. Both the TT and TTS have more than "adequate" power and a careful analysis of the Specs shows them to be even closer than the advertised "40 HP"
indicates. A year ago, I would have bought the TT new and been pleased by the modest depreciation
and outstanding performance. Having delayed until a few weeks ago, the small cost difference of $10-15K between a good used TT and TTS (vs $30K-$40K new) made it a far "Better Buy". Also, the new Gen 3 Ceramic Brakes seem to be holding up much better than the previous generations on the Track and the availability of options, "reconditioning" or substituting Iron Rotors with no Caliper changes made it a "No Brainer" for me. I would caution you to make your purchase through an authorized Porsche Dealer and a "CPO" TTS which would give you 2 years of additional Warranty and your guarantee of a car which has been thoroughly checked and tested and is as close to "Perfect" as possible since parts and repairs can be VERY costly. I bought a lightly used and lightly optioned CPO'd 2015 TTS last month for $167K which I am delighted with. Best of luck on your purchase.

Who told you ceramics are 35k to replace? lol. You can get them aftermarket and real ceramics for 11k. Or from porsche for like 16k I think it was. Also the sensitive grabby part, you get use to within 30 minutes of driving car. If anything after selling my TTS, I think every car I'm in has broken brakes now.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:25 PM
Gt3Fan
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

I would have gotten an S instead of non S, except for ONE reason, I knew I was going to track the car and did NOT want the carbon ceramic breaks, which I had just had on my GT3. If they gave an option for an S without the carbon breaks, I would have gone S for sure.

Having said that, I LOVED my ceramic breaks on my GT3 but with the heavier weight of the turbo, I knew the ware weight and cost would be higher. If budget didn't matter, I would go again with the carbon's regardless of tracking.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:37 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
. Having delayed until a few weeks ago, the small cost difference of $10-15K between a good used TT and TTS (vs $30K-$40K new) made it a far "Better Buy".
This.

Putting all justifications aside over what options may or may not be of individual value, and, any respective savings claimed by each individual, at only 10 to 15K extra for an S it's an absolute no brainer.

Last edited by speed21; 12-15-2015 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 07:05 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Does the leather covered gas cap come standard w/the "S" ?
Old 12-15-2015, 07:42 PM
FBA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, like most other trim options, that's an option! You can build online and you will see what's included and whats's optional, with maybe a few exceptions - like deviated stitching, which you can't see/ build online. "S" is a no-brainer...
Old 12-15-2015, 07:51 PM
speed21
Banned

On a car of this value, to fall over on an extra 10 or 15K pretty well signals one is shopping way beyond their means.

Last edited by speed21; 12-15-2015 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:11 PM
AKSteve
Banned

Received 815 Likes on 456 Posts

What are the real differences between the TT and the TT-S anyway? Ceramic brakes, center lock wheels, LED lights and the same engine with software tuning to add 40hp? Seems like if you get a regular TT and add an aftermarket chip, you wind up with a car with more horsepower and that still has top-notch headlights and brakes as well as wheels that you can change over easily by yourself.

Quick Reply: Deciding between regular and the S