Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Deciding between regular and the S

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 02:10 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Worried about $10K like it means nothing.......WTF?

Last edited by Hothonda; 12-16-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:51 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by GrandLaker
If you buy the base you'll always kick yourself for not spending the extra to get the S.
Sure, we all want what we have perceived as "The Best"... otherwise none of us would be in a TT/S! BUT Porsche's marketing department is a finely honed device that takes full aim at that ego... and the accounting dept. skips happily all the way to the bank if/when, for the reason given by GrandLaker, it "kicks" in!

:
Old 12-16-2015, 06:27 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hothonda
Worried about $10K like it means nothing.......WTF?
At this price point 10 to 15K IS nothing to the majority that buy this car. The budget end of this market segment at or near the ceiling point of their spending limit are generally the ones who must sacrifice certain things to get into a higher end car of their desire - no doubt why Porsche offers the TT in an optioned format. Same happens with other car brands - very common.

Edit. Fwiw Honda I categorize myself as being in the budget sector who has to think about every dollar over and above the base asking price (which I also struggled with btw)....given our extremely ugly pricing regime. There were a few boxes I would have loved to have ticked but just couldn't bring myself to do it financially.

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Sure, we all want what we have perceived as "The Best"... otherwise none of us would be in a TT/S! BUT Porsche's marketing department is a finely honed device that takes full aim at that ego... and the accounting dept. skips happily all the way to the bank if/when, for the reason given by GrandLaker, it "kicks" in!

:
You clearly can't have driven both of these cars back to back on a circuit to say what you just did. You are essentially inferring there are no performance differences for the additional prices asked? And, it is all just one big con designed to feed egos which pretty well applies to anyone who buys one of these cars anyway. I'm really not sure what you are trying to say here?

Last edited by speed21; 12-16-2015 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:06 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

A TTS is faster and handles better than a TT, and the PCCBs have more initial bite, fade less, and produce almost no visible brake dust. Many go-fast and convenience things that come standard on the TTS are optional on the TT. If you highly option a TT, you are better off with a TTS. If you restrain yourself, and maybe the sticker gets to about $165k or so, the TT can be a great DD and have 95% of the performance of the TTS in daily driving and even spirited weekend runs. The TTS will be better on a track. As used cars, the TTS is a better bargain, because the prices are only 10-15% higher than a TT.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:46 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S
A TTS is faster and handles better than a TT, and the PCCBs have more initial bite, fade less, and produce almost no visible brake dust. Many go-fast and convenience things that come standard on the TTS are optional on the TT. If you highly option a TT, you are better off with a TTS. If you restrain yourself, and maybe the sticker gets to about $165k or so, the TT can be a great DD and have 95% of the performance of the TTS in daily driving and even spirited weekend runs. The TTS will be better on a track. As used cars, the TTS is a better bargain, because the prices are only 10-15% higher than a TT.
And you own which one?
Old 12-17-2015, 02:32 PM
///BLACKLABEL
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Ceramics = No brake dust

Worth every penny lol
Old 12-17-2015, 04:46 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hothonda
And you own which one?
TT. I didn't want to go too wild on expense, since I have other weekend cars (Italian!).
Old 12-17-2015, 06:10 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OP just buy whatever you can afford. Both are great cars, just the S is better rounded as an overall factory performance package - but that comes with a higher price tag. You can't get around that no matter how much you try and convince yourself the TT will be as competent, because it isn't. But that doesn't make the TT an unworthy purchase. Not by a long shot.

I still say at only 10 to 15k difference for a used car of same or similar mileage the S will prove the better buy in the long run so if you can stretch it do it (mine was also a stretch fwiw and took a lot of deliberating). The S will hold its value better than the optioned up TT, again you cant get around that. But again if the extra 10 to 15 is going to throw it all too far over the line then take the TT and be happy. It is an awesome car and you will far better off with one than without one. Life's too short. Make the decision and get it in the stable pronto for your own sake's. We will await the pics from this point on. Get it bought!
Old 12-17-2015, 08:25 PM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
OP just buy whatever you can afford. Both are great cars, just the S is better rounded as an overall factory performance package - but that comes with a higher price tag. You can't get around that no matter how much you try and convince yourself the TT will be as competent, because it isn't. But that doesn't make the TT an unworthy purchase. Not by a long shot.

I still say at only 10 to 15k difference for a used car of same or similar mileage the S will prove the better buy in the long run so if you can stretch it do it (mine was also a stretch fwiw and took a lot of deliberating). The S will hold its value better than the optioned up TT, again you cant get around that. But again if the extra 10 to 15 is going to throw it all too far over the line then take the TT and be happy. It is an awesome car and you will far better off with one than without one. Life's too short. Make the decision and get it in the stable pronto for your own sake's. We will await the pics from this point on. Get it bought!
This ^ buy the best car you can and you are comfortable with. Then drive it any chance you get!

NB - I bought a loaded up TT with an MSRP of 189K for used TT pricing in August... don't regret it but I do have the PCCB's and PDCC so just missing the HP. Very needed driving to NYC :-)
Old 12-17-2015, 09:01 PM
cabman4007
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

The conservative side of me wanted the TT with limited options. I saw both and the yellow calipers and extras goodies were just too much to pass up. When the finance guy did the math on the difference in payment for each car at 1.2% the decision was a no brainer.

If I had gone cheap it would be a huge regret for me.

Best decision I have ever made.

Believe it or not after 20 years of cleaning brake dust from my wheels after each drive, the yellows are god given. Just based on the clean wheels I will never have steel brakes on a Porsche again.

Go for the S. You will never regret your decision. I see zero negatives in this decision.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:28 PM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 828 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by cabman4007
I saw both and the yellow calipers and extras goodies were just too much to pass up.
See, I felt the exact opposite way. My TT Cab has a red leather interior and I wanted the brakes to match the leather. :-)

Just kidding. I spent weeks looking around for just the right car and I fell in love with a TT Cab in GT Silver with red/black leather interior and the clear taillights. If I'd found the same car and it had been an S instead, I still would've bought it.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:46 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,691 Likes on 1,099 Posts

... the PCCBs have more initial bite, fade less, and produce almost no visible brake dust.
This is a nicely-succinct description that misses only one thing: the PCCBs are also lighter. So, less unsprung weight. Engineers love less unsprung weight.

Note that at no point (as far as I recall) have I written that PCCBs aren't, overall, better than the steel brakes in most contexts.

They just don't stop non-trivially faster. The 'stops better' is a perception formed by aggressive tuning of onset and less pedal force required to get full braking. A lot of people like it.

1. I'm totally sold.
Heh. Really? I hadn't noticed

You would need to produce a range of testing data for the two cars in question to convince me otherwise.
I would expect nothing less. And I do not expect to convince you.

Btw do you have the braking tests for the 991tt w/and w/o PCCB?
Not off-hand, saved to my hard drive. I read many articles over the last few years. In all articles that compared steel to PCCB, the PCCBs stopped from XX mph to 0 in either the same distance as steel or a few feet (where few equals 2 or 3) shorter. That is a trivial distance and within measurement errors.

2. Kinda makes you wonder why all the high end marques use them then ...
Not at all. It's the next cool tech. No brake dust. And - off the track - will live through the first 2 or 3 or 4 owners. All good.

F1 inc?
Nope. F1 uses carbon-carbon brakes not carbon-ceramic. Carbon-carbon brakes are made by a sintering process that takes many weeks. CC brakes are quite a bit lighter than carbon-ceramic brakes. F1 discs cost ~$30k each and last for about two hours of track use. They are ridiculously light. (See what engineers love above.)

Totally different beasts.

I say just drive them both back to back as hard and fast as your nerve will allow and then convince yourself the steels stop as good. If you can do that, and keep a straight face, that is the ultimate test.
How many really fast track driver's put the PCCBs on a shelf and run steel?

If the replacement PCCBs were half as expensive they would make sense in all contexts.

A TTS is faster and handles better than a TT,
An un-optioned TTS is faster and handles better than an un-optioned TT. Add sport chrono and PDCC and most driver's - in a blind test - wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Of course, at that point, if you don't mind PCCBs then you should definitely get the TTS.

On the used market TTSs seem to have a more-favorable depreciation curve. Given that TTs rarely - from what I've seen - are optioned with both SC and PDCC (never mind both of those with PCCB) those looking for a TT or TTS should, I think, gravitate towards the TTS.

Maybe in a year or three I'll pick up a used TTS for a winter beater. I will be sure, however, to have the PCCBs measured before doing a deal; too many folks tracking them to within an inch of their lives and then trading-up.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:25 PM
cabman4007
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AKSteve
See, I felt the exact opposite way. My TT Cab has a red leather interior and I wanted the brakes to match the leather. :-)

Just kidding. I spent weeks looking around for just the right car and I fell in love with a TT Cab in GT Silver with red/black leather interior and the clear taillights. If I'd found the same car and it had been an S instead, I still would've bought it.
When Lay people look at my car at the gas stations or at social events the biggest compliments I receive are on the HOT looking wheels and the yellow calipers. IMO they are beautiful and even tho a PITA for the track I would never have opted for the lug nuts. My dealer took a wheel off and put it back on in a few minutes. You need purchase the big breaker bar and that special head but for a few hundred dollars it's doable and he did not need to add grease.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:30 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by worf928
This is a nicely-succinct description that misses only one thing: the PCCBs are also lighter. So, less unsprung weight. Engineers love less unsprung weight.
Why, thank you. I did forget to include that they're lighter and unsprung. And it's not just that; they also rotate. Less unsprung rotating mass has all kinds of great benefits to performance, ride and handling. I think my next Turbo will be an S!
Old 12-17-2015, 11:31 PM
AKSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 828 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by cabman4007
IMO they are beautiful and even tho a PITA for the track I would never have opted for the lug nuts. My dealer took a wheel off and put it back on in a few minutes. You need purchase the big breaker bar and that special head but for a few hundred dollars it's doable and he did not need to add grease.
I don't have the PCCB's, but my car did come with the center lock wheels. That's the one option I probably would have done without had I ordered the car myself. I like having a separate set of winter wheels/snow tires and being able to change them over myself. I had the dealership I bought my car from install Michelin Alpin PA4's before shipping the car to me here in Alaska. When I have my local Porsche dealer put the summer tires back on next spring, I might ask if I can watch them remove the wheels from the car so I can see how easy/difficult the process actually is.

Quick Reply: Deciding between regular and the S