Sponsored by: Road Spy

It's going to be a long !@#$ing winter.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 07:44 AM
FBA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The New 911
Come on... AWD and Porsche didn't dip the car's in Zinc for laugh's. You don't have to take the car out everyday but there are days when there is sun in the sky and the roads are dry and not frozen over with salt and sand on them.
If you say so...and you can enjoy that. I'll use something else I don't bank on keeping long term...
Old 12-17-2015, 10:04 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Come on... AWD and Porsche didn't dip the car's in Zinc for laugh's.
It's not the body that's at issue. It's the exposed metal for fasteners, non-AL suspension bits, metal pipes and metal hose ends. Since cadmium is carcinogenic it can't be used for plating anymore (edit: It can still be used, but the process is too expensive for most stuff.) Today's zinc plating lasts about 1/4 as long and many, many bits aren't even zinc plated. For example look at the wheel hub flanges in the picture above.

In salted areas a car will 'last' 6 to 8 years before stuff is obviously very damaged due to corrosion. Best case it's just fasteners. Worse are suspension bits or hose pipes that dump their fluids on other expensive bits and kill them. I've lived here 25+ years and I've seen this happen on all my winter cars and have paid the repair bills. (I work on my Porsches not my winter beaters and so far, I've not made a Porsche a winter beater.)

Again, even with the super-resilient cadmium plating on older Porsches it is very easy to look at an older Porsche and determine if it has been driven more than a trivial number of times on salted roads. Cadmium dulls as it ages normally, but turns white when exposed to salty wetness.

You don't have to take the car out everyday but there are days when there is sun in the sky and the roads are dry and not frozen over with salt and sand on them.
Up here in Yankee Land once the salt's on the ground it stays until April showers. On dry roads the salt will get churned-up as you drive and coat the underside of the car. Add some moisture and the corrosion starts. Unless of course, you do a full under-carriage wash.

Originally Posted by porsche42
Still driving here in NE, but will put it away soon. It's not the snow or salt it's sometimes the other a#$!! drivers. Been lucky this winter so far with the weather. Maybe there is something to that global warming.......naw...
Tell me about it! I'm seriously regretting putting up DDG before Thanksgiving.

Originally Posted by FBA
If you say so...and you can enjoy that. I'll use something else I don't bank on keeping long term...
+1
Old 12-22-2015, 12:55 PM
The New 911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK I will give you the bit about the Non Zinc Dipped bit's. But unless it's a car you are leasing or plan on only owning a short time. Say until the next model comes out... meh...

Last edited by The New 911; 12-22-2015 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Delete
Old 12-22-2015, 04:23 PM
The New 911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know, if you have potential vacation besides Christmas or NYE, or maybe so..., just open your wallet, call up one of the many Car Transferring Companies and have the car Hauled to an Arid place in the South West known for it's lack of snow and good road driving road's. Hell don't want to exclude the Flatland's of Florida and such. Make a few days or week of it. Hell you're not driving a Ferrari so you don't have to worry about depreciation due to mileage!

Hell some of the more lucky One's of Us who have Ordered a Bespoke Car or Porsche and went to Europe for Euro Delivery. How much different to that is this except you don't get Lodging or Lunch and or Dinner?

Sound's like a great Vacation to me.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:18 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche42
Maybe there is something to that global warming.......naw...
Its going to be 70 degrees tomorrow. Global warming's awesome.

Of course, if I get DDG off the rack, we'll get a blizzard within 72 hours.

OK I will give you the bit about the Non Zinc Dipped bit's. But unless it's a car you are leasing or plan on only owning a short time. Say until the next model comes out... meh...
As I wrote above, DDG's a keeper.

I know, if you have potential vacation besides Christmas or NYE, or maybe so..., just open your wallet, call up one of the many Car Transferring Companies and have the car Hauled ...
Oh Hell dude. That's too much work.

This is the ticket: https://www.springmountainmotorsports.com

We've done this twice already and we're just about due for the third time.

Hell some of the more lucky One's of Us who have Ordered a Bespoke Car or Porsche and went to Europe for Euro Delivery.
BTDT.

Quick Reply: It's going to be a long !@#$ing winter.