Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

Maybe 2000kms of launch control...
The NA version of DragonRR's car?
Old 11-03-2014, 04:04 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OP I have to agree with viper on this, if its on the table just get the money and get the new one. Sure what you have is awesome and they can take a beating from day one, but there is a but. The car has issues and for 200K it shouldn't be a bag of rattles and smoke. I still can not overlook the fact that they had it for all that mileage and never once noticed what you are noticing with the rattles. So maybe they weren't all that attentive as they make out to be now the heat is on their asses. Maybe they were just too focused on flogging the granny out of the thing and a rattle here and there and a bit of blue smoke was small change to them at the time. They probably thought it would not sell so fast and just leave it for next week to try and attend but then you came in and bought it. So the story is now oh what a surprise, it never had that b4. I'm damn sure if we drove our cars in and asked hey whats the story with the smoke it would go without saying we would be told "normal", it happens to heaps all others so don't fret. But I bet if you go and ask the same question when you go in to buy one they will say it never happens now on these new motors and just on the old mezger units. TBH i think these guys have blown their credibility clean out the window. If they are saying the new one smokes after a good canning then they again just indicted themselves for selling something they flogged hard....and maybe just maybe that bit too hard when brand new. Again what they describe is a mezger issue. They need to hand over a few phone numbers from other 991tts buyers to validate their seemingly fanciful claim if you ask me.

Gunner I think it was 200 MILES not Kms unfortunately. Some butcher got their hands on it and probably flogged the knakers clean off it and put it away wet. So they washed it up and thought it would get better, but it smoke bombed them on the next start up. So now its 'normal".
Old 11-03-2014, 04:35 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

I do not believe I'm in the position to offer the OP any sort of advice about the best course of action,but I do need to intervene and correct speed21 post where he says the smoking is a Mezger issue. Nothing further from the truth. The 9A1s smoke like crazy. Just ask the 991GT3 owners.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:46 PM
DragonRR
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Maybe 2000kms of launch control...
The NA version of DragonRR's car?
LOL Thanks for that 1Gunner!

I can see your points chaps but I think if I give up on this one I will probably go elsewhere altogether to avoid the potential for more problems with another one.

However, with the smoke situation, there is no reason for Sheffield to try to convince me that the smoke is OK when they have the potential of getting me into another car, the sales guy was talking to me today about a new cab they have but he was the person also saying that the smoke was a non-issue. Of course this doesn't guarantee they are right and you are wrong but it does add weight to their argument.

No I'm not happy right now but there was nothing wrong with the car today after I picked it up so I'm going to see what happens over the next few days and decide one way or another at the weekend (unless it falls to bit before then!).

EDIT:
Just noticed your post neanicu. Yes I've been seeing GT3 owners talking about the blue smoke "feature" too but wasn't sure whether the GT3 engine was close enough to the TT engine to really be considered similar enough.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:49 PM
speed21
Banned

Neanicu. The questions I had asked info on were pertaining specifically to 991tt/tts engine. And in the course of advice was told the carrera 9a1 were also not an issue there. I didn't touch on 991 gt3 tbh. But can ask.

Incidentally the car doing all those launches in the youtube was blue and a lot of the press cars were too.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:53 PM
DragonRR
Instructor

I think it's worth pointing pointing out that you can (so I'm told) spot UK press cars by their registration. Porsche Sheffield actually checked this but said it was only run by Porsche Swindon as a demo.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:06 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Speed21,I understand,no worries...
I do have a 9A1 in my 11 GTS and it smokes but very rarely. The experts are saying it's due to the boxer engine design,where oil drains back and slips passed the rings and into the combustion chamber after shutoff. I don't know how much truth there is into this theory,but I guess it's possible.
I did notice the Mezger smokes more after being parked on an incline,where the front is higher than the back.

Here are a few links from the 991GT3 board :

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...n-startup.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...e-a-smoke.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...n-startup.html

Last edited by neanicu; 11-03-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:47 PM
speed21
Banned

OP don't mean to alarm you but these press cars all have to find homes somewhere and they all scrub up like new. I recall a while back in conversation with one of the head techs I know real well here is that each dealer has to take its share of these cars once they have finished their quote: "tour of duty". Same with the driving school cars. Blue was a popular colour for these cars. Not saying they aren't up to what gets thrown at them but would I want one? Nope. But the problem is the dealers don't tell you and fair enough because if they did they would get stuck with them.

Neanicu it wouldn't surprise me. These new gt3 engines are very high revving. Fwiw for the oil to get past the all the rings back into the combustion chamber after shutdown would mean there is a lot of residual oil left on the base of the liners and that doesn't make any sense to me because besides the fact the engine is dry sumped even if there was a squirt of oil left lying on the liner surface after switch off that oil would still have to get past the seal of all of the rings and again that isn't likely unless all the gaps are miraculously all on the bottom and all lined up which (again) also isn't likely. It really has to get back up past the rings and into the combustion chamber for any oil smoke to happen and that would mean a major swim. I would say this particular issue is more associated to the oil separator working real hard from constant high rpm/load (crankcase pressure) which possibly allows some through which then gets up into the intake via the recirc system. Or it could be just residual fuel left over in the combustion chambers after shutdown. Probably just fuel if you ask me. Fuel is whitish cloud..which is more what you see here. Oil smells like oil and is very blue too.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:01 PM
DragonRR
Instructor

You're quite right the press cars do have to end up somewhere but they also have to be registered to be used as a press car in the UK (at least). So the first registered owner will always be the car manufacturer rather than the dealer which is not the case with mine. There might just be an exception where a car is delivered to a track and used only on the track and then taken away and dropped at the dealer but that would be unlikely I imagine... although not impossible of course.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:18 PM
speed21
Banned

OP not sure how it works with the reg tbh but when these cars are finally put out to pasture they usually don't have plates on them and the book never shows an owner. If plates are on I doubt they would be the same anyway as the ones used during press. That would wave a red flag. I mean that would be one of the first things a buyer looks for. Most read the press beforehand..
Anyway if you are happy to keep her your call but I would bite these dirty rats up for extra warranty or something to sweeten it back up given all the grief you've been put through so far. That really sucks.. I hate hearing these types of stories about fellow 991tt brethren who paid the hard earned only to get put through the wringer. I will say the car can take some punishment and can stand up as we've all seen in the press so far....launches 100 times over and other relentless hammerings etc. So it's not all bad iykwim. But on the 991tt/tts smoke normal story i'm not hearing that from any owner on these boards so your dealer needs to put some ph numbers up if you ask me or he should be told to stop the BS.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:46 PM
DragonRR
Instructor

In the UK all Porsche press cars (current generation) have a registration that starts with R because they are registered in Reading where the Porsche HQ is in the UK. The exception is a famous Porsche UK plate - 911HUL which is always put on a single press car. A good example of this is this "What Car" review where you can see the registration plate - RX63 ZVL http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/pors...review/1208128. This car will now almost certainly be being driven by someone in the UK who may or may not know the origin. An R reg Porsche isn't automatically a press car of course but an owner could do some research online and be fairly sure whether it was or not (if they cared).

In the UK we have a V5C document which lists the car's history. My car's registration plate starts with G which is Swindon.. Yes G for Swindon (and a few other places).. If my car had a different plate originally then the V5 doc would have that info and it would also say that it was originally owned by Porsche GB in any case.

Anything can be abused but there is no way Porsche would deliberately get around that system, it wouldn't be worth it. The press would take them to the cleaners along with the legal system.

All this doesn't mean the dealer didn't thrash the car but there is only so much insane demo driving someone can do in less than 2000 miles

I appreciate the help and concerns of all the owners here and will keep you guys posted on what the final outcome is.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:12 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

DragonRR,I went back and re-read some of this thread and didn't see any mention about oil consumption. How is it?
Old 11-03-2014, 09:47 PM
speed21
Banned

Hey OP maybe the Chinese are on to something with the # 4 after all.
Count your lucky stars I say. A few rattles, a faulty spoiler and a bit of smoke is nothing compared to this guy's misfortune. Check it out...another# 4 plate: go to the vid after the first photo..

http://www.9news.com.au/technology/2...expensive-cars
Old 11-04-2014, 09:47 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

FWIW I have seen a wisp of smoke from my TT at start-up on one occasion, but it was nothing like the cloud of smoke my Mezger GT3 could and would belch on occasion.... always found that smoke show a bit embarrassing when trying to explain to folks "It's really quite normal, they all do this!" and seeing the sceptical looks from the uninformed.....

Old 11-04-2014, 10:55 AM
DragonRR
Instructor

Originally Posted by neanicu
DragonRR,I went back and re-read some of this thread and didn't see any mention about oil consumption. How is it?
5000 miles down 3 bars but it may have been topped by the main dealer before I took the car at 1800-1900 miles.

EDIT:
Scratch that I checked it on a cold engine, will recheck later or tomorrow.

EDIT 2:
3 bars used at operating temperature too.

I can't quite remember for certain whether it was topped up before I bought the car but I think they made a point of saying it wasn't.

Last edited by DragonRR; 11-05-2014 at 04:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Awesome... rattles aside