Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Awesome... rattles aside

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 10:18 PM
GT Silver
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent colour choice IMHO. Nice roads to drive around Sheffield, like the Snake Pass to Manchester - drove that countless times when I was attending Uni at Sheffield.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:18 PM
zedosix
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Love your car, and your country. Best drivers in the world I say!
Old 09-20-2014, 07:53 PM
DragonRR
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the comments.

Just a small update. I went back to the Porsche Center with the remaining rattle but it didn't manifest during the test drive so not much the mechanic could do. Since then that particular rattle has only come back a few times on rough surfaces so I am just going to leave it.

Another rattle comes and goes which I think comes from the passenger side of the sunroof. It doesn't happen more than 10% of the time so I will probably leave that too.

I have one remaining problem which is aesthetic but I'm curious if anyone else has it. The center of the front spoiler has a smallish bulge from the air pipe behind it. I've taken it up with the original dealer and am waiting for comment. It is very slightly off center which is mildly annoying. I feel like a total whining git even mentioning it but can't help thinking that it would be an obvious warranty issue if the spoiler was solid plastic.

Bulge in front Spoiler

Bulge in front Spoiler
Old 09-20-2014, 09:09 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

No bulge on mine. That would bug me as well!!
It would really suck to have all those annoying issues on such a nice car!!

Was it built on a Friday.. or the day after a long weekend?? JK!

Old 09-21-2014, 03:33 PM
DragonRR
Instructor

Thanks for having a look 1Gunner.

I actually said that to the dealer, it really has felt a bit like a Friday car. The dealer (all credit to them really) have offered to buy back the car. I'm still in two minds about the offer, I keep thinking that if it wasn't for the previous problems I would just be thinking the remaining ones are not all that annoying.

I'm hoping that Porsche will replace the spoiler via the warranty and whilst that's being sorted they'll nail the center dash rattle.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:25 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

If it's any consolation, my dash has a random creak/rattle on rough dirt roads (ie. my 2km cottage road) that stops if I reach over and put some pressure on the lip of the dash, just above the cup holder...

Hope everything works out in your favour!

Old 09-24-2014, 05:17 PM
DragonRR
Instructor

A small update.

I had a call from the dealer principle at Porsche Swindon today. They have agreed to pay for replacing the front spoiler. This is "they" as in the dealer themselves not Porsche. I'm quite disappointed that Porsche have not accepted this problem as being their own. There is absolutely no damage around the bulge area so it is highly likely to be a defect and should be covered imo..

However.. I cannot recommend Porsche Swindon enough for their professional attitude towards the problems I've experienced.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:21 PM
DragonRR
Instructor

Another update.

New spoiler now fitted

The center console rattle stayed at around the same level, I mentioned it this morning when I booked it in but asked them only to have a quick look.

In the week since my last post - the sunroof, which had gone quiet after it was re-lubricated, started rattling again on the passenger side, fairly annoying especially when cold(ish) outside. The rattle vanished when the roof was opened. I asked them to have another go.

When I picked the car up this afternoon the chief mechanic suggested something that sounded like there had been another bulletin from Porsche and they had re-lubricated following this. I was side tracked at the time so he might have been referring to the previous bulletin but I thought it was worth mentioning here anyway.

He said that they hadn't found the center console rattle but had re-worked some of the seals around the console area to attempt a fix.

Return journey home - no rattles... fingers are, of course, crossed!
Old 10-20-2014, 05:46 PM
DragonRR
Instructor

And just to be **** about it all..

The center console rattle is quite rare now. The car is quiet on smooth roads and makes, with one important exception, no squeaks or rattles on rough surfaced roads.

The exception is, usually when cold, there would be a another pretty annoying rattle from the back seat behind the passenger. I thought I'd found it a few days ago by re-seating the ISO child fixing cover which seemed to remove the rattle.. but it came back. This morning it was quite noisy so in irritation I pulled off the ISO cover completely and threw it on the front seat. The noise moved to the front seat!

To cut a long story short there are two velcro fastenings which are mounted on small plastic "plinths" on the iso cover itself. Both of these are a loose fit behind the child cover and rattle if you shake the cover. I removed the plinths, put some felt on the back of each of them (4nr including the driver side) and refitted the covers. No more rattles... fingers crossed!

Yet another piccie!

Interior:
I have the brushed aluminium trim. I had serious doubts about having this but it looks amazing in the erm... metal. Slightly grayed aluminium rather than the normal white ish. look. I've tried to get a photo of it but the human eye seems to pick something up which I can't quite get on camera.

Last edited by DragonRR; 10-20-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:14 PM
YellowPMan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DragonRR
I tend to find that people dismiss rattles unless they have to live with them themselves My partner is exactly the same.. unless it's her car!

I had one rattle re-appear yesterday from the central dash area when driving along a road with a rough but not bumpy surface. Not a massive problem, I'll see how it goes.

I had another massive brand new rattle start last night! It started quietly and got louder and louder, eventually turning into a kind of weird wobble noise. I couldn't believe it tbh, felt gutted! There were two of us in the car and we couldn't seem to pinpoint where it was coming from... However as it became louder I eventually noticed that the sun visor had popped out of it's clip on the driver's side, had worked itself further and further away from the headlining and was bouncing up and down. This rattle was user fixed!

No, unfortunately I don't know the lubricant used nor exactly how it was applied. He just said the seals were cleaned and lubricated as per the Porsche bulletin. I have seen a forum post somewhere from a guy who did DIY it with success.
Just read your thread ..sounds like it was put together on a Friday afternoon...at least your dealer is sorting it for you...push for a free first service with all the issues you've had...if you don't ask you don't get !!!!
I'm in London...sounds like we need to organise a UK rennlist turbo owners meet!!!
Old 10-22-2014, 03:48 PM
DragonRR
Instructor

Originally Posted by YellowPMan
Just read your thread ..sounds like it was put together on a Friday afternoon...at least your dealer is sorting it for you...push for a free first service with all the issues you've had...if you don't ask you don't get !!!!
I'm in London...sounds like we need to organise a UK rennlist turbo owners meet!!!
Wow.. and you are still awake!

A meet sounds like a good idea... I think there's someone else here from your neck of the woods too.

Saw a white 911 TTS or TT on the other side of the M18 today. Looked great, the first one I've seen in the wild

I have a final rattle remaining. Turns out there were two from the back, not just the ISO cover. I think it is the near side rear seat pull handle. I've had a piece of cloth around it all day and the rattle has stopped. Acid test will be tomorrow morning though because it is much louder on a cold morning.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:36 PM
fygt
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the detail on the rear rattles - I have yet to hear those, but now know what to do if/when it rears its ugly head... my passenger side door rattle is getting worse unfortunately, an irritating continuous buzzing noise. Planning to have a go at taking off the door panel myself this weekend...

UK meet sounds good indeed! Hopefully I'll have the annoying rattle sorted by then too... and possibly a new/more exciting exhaust...

I also saw a silver 991 TTS near Vauxhall Bridge in London twice last week, each time sped up to follow right behind for a few mins but not sure if he noticed we were in a convoy of two...
Old 10-22-2014, 07:56 PM
DragonRR
Instructor

I too have this weird itch to resolve rattles myself.. Can't bear to be without the car! LOL. However the thought of removing an entire door panel on a £150k car would make me get it dealer fixed!

I am thinking I'll do the lever myself ... if it turns out to be that... can't be THAT difficult.. can it?

EDIT!
The lever failed the acid test of a cold morning . The rattle came back this morning pretty loudly too. I think I might have found the problem (again) - a slightly loose rear pillar panel which seemed to make a similar rattle noise when I tapped it. I suspect it wasn't put back 100% correctly when my car was half stripped for rattles before. I've reseated it with some difficulty this morning and now have fingers crossed again for tomorrow morning. If the noise doesn't go but changes I'll probably lay some padding behind it or nip into the dealer to let them have a look.

Last edited by DragonRR; 10-23-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:50 PM
DragonRR
Instructor

Update:
Although I haven't heard any full on rattle since the day I re-seated the pillar panel I wasn't happy with the job I'd done. The pillar just didn't seem solid enough.

I had a little time today so I drove back to Porsche Sheffield to talk to their chief mechanic again, poor chap.

I explained what had happened with the pillar. He got in the car and found a secondary fault straight away. A panel clip was very bent which he replaced. The pillar feels pretty solid now.

In between times I noticed a fair amount of blue smoke behind me when setting off quickly after leaving the car for a few hours at work. Given the amount of ridiculous problems I've had I suspected it could well be a knackered engine. I've since been assured that this is pretty common with the flat 6 engine especially if the car has been driven quite hard and then left standing. This was the case on that particular day as it happens.

Despite all the grief.. the car is ******* amazing!

EDIT: Changed pic, screwed up the colours on the last one.

Last edited by DragonRR; 11-06-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:23 PM
zedosix
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Now that is a fabulous shot of your car mate!

Quick Reply: Awesome... rattles aside