Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 07:30 PM
DragonRR
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Awesome... rattles aside

Hello all.. new member here.

I bought this new family car a week or so ago:

I've been fortunate enough to have owned a few fast cars over the years, last couple being an Audi C7 RS6 and a BMW F10 M5 but the Porsche is in a completely different league.

It's a good job really because when I got it (2k miles, 5 months old) it had a faulty pump causing the spoiler systems to fail (constantly) and I currently have more than 6 different creaks and rattles coming from different parts of the trim - Sunroof, seats, glove box and so on.

The pump was sorted fortunately and the car goes in for 2-3 days for the noises this coming week.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:47 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beautiful car, love it in Sapphire Blue. Sorry to hear about the annoyances. Hope you get those resolved soon!
Old 09-08-2014, 08:04 PM
fygt
AutoX

Awesome colour - whereabouts in the UK are you based and curious what rattles you are having?

My glass sunroof squeaks, sometimes quite a lot when it's wet/raining... basically the rubber seals rubbing against each other with chassis movement... quite annoying but haven't taken it in yet.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:24 PM
DragonRR
Instructor

I live in the Sheffield area fygt, what about you?

The roof rattles, it doesn't really squeak. Just in front of and above the driver head area and the same the other side - front passenger head area. Obviously I'm assuming it's the sunroof but it may be something else.

Other noises -
Glove box annoying rattle which seems to resonate over rough surfaces - intermittent.
Rear seat area rattle - more or less constant.
Rear seat area "crack" type noise when cornering. Very intermittent and may have improved recently.
Backs of both seats creak during a drive and especially round corners. The same creak also happens when the seat backs are put forward (they probably need some oil!).
New noise today which might be a development of the glove box rattle or completely new (because it seems to be closer to the top left of the center console air vents.)

A Porsche mechanic went out in the car last week and heard some, if not all, of the noises. I had wondered whether the rattles were just a "Porsche thing". The mechanic seemed quite surprised about the sheer number. If there had just been one or two I would have probably ignored them but there is almost always at least one going on and when they are all occurring at the same time it is enough to drive me mad!

Car goes in Wednesday. Wednesday cannot come soon enough right now.. which is a little sad because in every other way the car is just incredible and the last thing I should want is to be without it for 2 or 3 days!
Old 09-08-2014, 10:41 PM
TestnDoc
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Stunning car. Interesting enough, I had some squeaks in the rear cabin the first week or so, but they are gone now. But no rattles. The moonroof is known to rattle, it did on my C4S. Welcome to the club!
Old 09-08-2014, 10:49 PM
robziv
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep us posted on what you find. I investigated a rattle in the back seat of mine today and it was a seatbelt clip hitting the stop on the belt itself. I did have something in the door last week that doesn't seem to be there this week. In another Porsche I had a glove box rattle like you mentioned and a rubber spacer was missing or came off which they found and fixed. In my short experience the techs do not let rattles stand. Good luck
Old 09-09-2014, 10:08 AM
fygt
AutoX

Originally Posted by DragonRR
I live in the Sheffield area fygt, what about you?

The roof rattles, it doesn't really squeak. Just in front of and above the driver head area and the same the other side - front passenger head area. Obviously I'm assuming it's the sunroof but it may be something else.

Other noises -
Glove box annoying rattle which seems to resonate over rough surfaces - intermittent.
Rear seat area rattle - more or less constant.
Rear seat area "crack" type noise when cornering. Very intermittent and may have improved recently.
Backs of both seats creak during a drive and especially round corners. The same creak also happens when the seat backs are put forward (they probably need some oil!).
New noise today which might be a development of the glove box rattle or completely new (because it seems to be closer to the top left of the center console air vents.)

A Porsche mechanic went out in the car last week and heard some, if not all, of the noises. I had wondered whether the rattles were just a "Porsche thing". The mechanic seemed quite surprised about the sheer number. If there had just been one or two I would have probably ignored them but there is almost always at least one going on and when they are all occurring at the same time it is enough to drive me mad!

Car goes in Wednesday. Wednesday cannot come soon enough right now.. which is a little sad because in every other way the car is just incredible and the last thing I should want is to be without it for 2 or 3 days!
Ah I'm in London - nice to have some UK presence on these forums! Yet to see another 991 TTS on the roads here (seen a few in the dealers only).

You have a lot of rattles though! That's really unfortunate. I sold my old 991 C2S because the rattles were getting me down... 5+ trips to dealer it was still like 'whack a mole', fix one and another appears!

Beginning to think it's just a Porsche thing - every loan car (I've had 5+) from OPC has exhibited some rattles as well, even brand new 981S or 991S models...
Old 09-09-2014, 07:06 PM
DragonRR
Instructor

I have fingers and other appendages crossed here! My two biggest concerns are - mechanics not finding some of the rattles at all and, of course, potentially making things worse. A rattle or noise or two wouldn't have bothered me much; I expected a few things to make a noise from time to time with this type of car but just not every F**** thing.

Whack-a-mole...
Old 09-12-2014, 09:03 PM
DragonRR
Instructor

Update:

I got the car back today. I cannot fault the attention I was given by the Chief Mechanic at Porsche Sheffield. He went through every single rattle and creak and what he had done to resolve each one. He mentioned that some of the noises were completely new to him.

In between times and to add to my general grief I was informed that BOTH rear tyres were punctured! The car had only got 2.5k miles on it. I had chosen not to take tyre insurance out.. I have never needed it . I was a wee bit frustrated about this and decided to contact Porsche Swindon where I'd bought the car. Obviously, at this point, I couldn't say that the punctures were already present when I drove it away or if I'd got them afterwards but there was no argument at all they simply agreed to pay for two new tyres. Brilliant service IMO. Now I have the car back it looks like the screw puncturing at least one of the tyres is from Porsche. I think it is worth pointing out that my experience with Porsche Swindon's service and staff has been generally excellent over the last couple of weeks and I would highly recommend them (as I would Porsche Sheffield too).

Anyway at 5pm today I drove away from the centre and after doing about 50 miles since then I haven't heard a single unusual noise other than when I've driven over very bumpy surfaces. I still have several fingers crossed but .. so far so good and so nice to be in a car without major rattles again!

My loan car was a Porsche Cayman. It had one massive rattle from the back somewhere. I think it might have been from the top of one of the fluid caps. There was one other small rattle from the passenger side somewhere but nowhere near as bad as the 911 ones. Strangely the door made a weird noise if I put my arm on it.. like I was squashing some sort of plastic foam/bubble wrap.

In an effort to help others with rattles in the future, this is my memory of the mechanic's findings, it will not be 100% accurate or complete!

Glove box rattle - Slightly loose trim behind glove box, refitted, padded rear of cupholder tray as precaution. This was a very strange problem because it was either very noisy and annoying over rough roads or almost completely silent. He actually said that he only heard the noise once despite several journeys and even then very briefly.. making it pretty tricky to fix.
Creaking seats constant when cornering etc.. - Lubrication plus some adjustments. Required pulling seat covers back?
Minor Noise behind driver shoulder area - Seat lever needed adjustment, plastic bush problem?
Noise from rear seats/odd ticking rattle - constant - wiring loom behind seats rerouted and lined with foam.
Crack noise from rear seats - refit rear seats.
Noises from sunroof - ticking rattles fairly constant - Clean and lubricate rubber seals around sunroof as per Porsche recommendation probably caused by some cleaning fluid drying out the rubber seals.
Noise - light fast rattle from around seat belt slot area. - Removed pillar and fiddle with everything..

And a couple more photos which I'm using as wallpaper:

Last edited by DragonRR; 09-12-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:24 AM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats, gorgeous car. I love that color, makes me regret not getting sapphire.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:58 AM
wrs
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DragonRR
Hello all.. new member here.

I've been fortunate enough to have owned a few fast cars over the years, last couple being an Audi C7 RS6 and a BMW F10 M5 but the Porsche is in a completely different league.

It's a good job really because when I got it (2k miles, 5 months old) it had a faulty pump causing the spoiler systems to fail (constantly) and I currently have more than 6 different creaks and rattles coming from different parts of the trim - Sunroof, seats, glove box and so on.

The pump was sorted fortunately and the car goes in for 2-3 days for the noises this coming week.
Sweet car. I still have my M5 and it just went into the shop for a failed fuel pump I think. Not sure what the failure is but it had to be trucked to the shop. Will find out on Monday.

Still love my M5 and it's modded up to be faster. I think what you will discover is that the M5 is faster above about 80mph, you will notice it. However, the key factor that differentiates them above 150 is the lack of a speed limiter on the Porsche.

This is a sports car, you can hear the rocks flecking off the wheel wells so don't sweat creaks and rattles they are part of the ownership experience just like squeaky brakes on the M5s.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:55 PM
DragonRR
Instructor

The car looks great in just about any colour. Nearly bought a Rhodium Silver but the one I looked at had that red dash which is too overwhelming for me.

In Sport Plus the TTS feels faster than anything I've had before but if you've modded your M5 then I'm not surprised it feels really quick. The M5 is a brilliant car and really practical but the lack of 4WD killed it for me, I took this after two weeks of it being sat doing nothing because it had zero traction.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:41 PM
fygt
AutoX

Glad to hear you got the noises sorted! Sounds like you had a great experience with both OPCs. Mine has been a bit hit/miss so far unfortunately, just hoping no more rattles crop up. I know how annoying it can be (my missus thinks I have an OCD hearing issue she doesn't even notice the rattles half the time)

The sunroof ticking/squeaking noise sounds like my issue - do you know what kind of lubricant they used? I would rather DIY than bring mine in for this simple issue.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:18 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Stunning color. Saw its twin flying down highway today....nice.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:37 AM
DragonRR
Instructor

Originally Posted by fygt
Glad to hear you got the noises sorted! Sounds like you had a great experience with both OPCs. Mine has been a bit hit/miss so far unfortunately, just hoping no more rattles crop up. I know how annoying it can be (my missus thinks I have an OCD hearing issue she doesn't even notice the rattles half the time)

The sunroof ticking/squeaking noise sounds like my issue - do you know what kind of lubricant they used? I would rather DIY than bring mine in for this simple issue.
I tend to find that people dismiss rattles unless they have to live with them themselves My partner is exactly the same.. unless it's her car!

I had one rattle re-appear yesterday from the central dash area when driving along a road with a rough but not bumpy surface. Not a massive problem, I'll see how it goes.

I had another massive brand new rattle start last night! It started quietly and got louder and louder, eventually turning into a kind of weird wobble noise. I couldn't believe it tbh, felt gutted! There were two of us in the car and we couldn't seem to pinpoint where it was coming from... However as it became louder I eventually noticed that the sun visor had popped out of it's clip on the driver's side, had worked itself further and further away from the headlining and was bouncing up and down. This rattle was user fixed!

No, unfortunately I don't know the lubricant used nor exactly how it was applied. He just said the seals were cleaned and lubricated as per the Porsche bulletin. I have seen a forum post somewhere from a guy who did DIY it with success.

Quick Reply: Awesome... rattles aside