Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Awesome... rattles aside

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 04:41 PM
DragonRR
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

@zedosix - If only I looked as good! I've taken a few shots of the car from the back but couldn't quite get the shot right. That one is my best effort.

Well the pillar might have felt solid and it is 100% back in the right position now but the ****ing rattle started again this morning and tapping the pillar in the same location made the same noise it did before I errr.. "fixed" it.

Currently have the car booked in to have it Porsche fixed on Monday but have pushed two microfibre cloths through the seat belt opening and that seems to have shut the ******ing ******rd rattle up. Maybe.

Just come back from picking son #1 up from train station and not one rattle... so far..

Last edited by DragonRR; 10-31-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:36 AM
Wildcat
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DragonRR
A small update.

I had a call from the dealer principle at Porsche Swindon today. They have agreed to pay for replacing the front spoiler. This is "they" as in the dealer themselves not Porsche. I'm quite disappointed that Porsche have not accepted this problem as being their own. There is absolutely no damage around the bulge area so it is highly likely to be a defect and should be covered imo..

However.. I cannot recommend Porsche Swindon enough for their professional attitude towards the problems I've experienced.
Is this typical for the TTS? I am currently looking to buy a '15 S Turbo, but reading about the rattles, kind of puts me off on this car. Can some other TT S owners chime in on this type of problem. A $200k car should not have this type of problem.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:35 AM
DragonRR
Instructor

I drove a red TTS before I bought mine and it had no noticeable rattles on the same roads I drive on now but that was just an hour or so of driving and doesn't prove a great deal.

The area of the UK I live in has some very rough tarmac road surfaces (not pot holes so much as just rough). Any potential rattle will tend to manifest itself here and my RS6, which has now been sold, developed two or three rattles over the first couple of months.

When I first picked this car up I noticed a light rattle from the sunroof and something from the glove box. Both rattles were pretty quiet although I was a bit disappointed. After a week of driving around here the two light rattles had become louder and annoying and there were (as I've mentioned) several other creaks and rattles that had become apparent.

The chief mechanic at Porsche Sheffield said that my car had an unusual number of resonating rattles and I think anyone reading all of this thread will notice that I've had a lot of bad luck on top of that!

The sunroof rattle is a known problem and is a problem on VWs too where the rubber seal dries out.

Rattles do my head in, I know some people here have a rattle or two and just ignore them. Some have said they have no rattles at all. I too would be interested to have more feedback from other owners.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:04 AM
zedosix
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

10,000 Kms and rock solid, not a creak or rattle.
But... I opted the no sunroof option.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:42 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 468 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by zedosix
10,000 Kms and rock solid, not a creak or rattle.
But... I opted the no sunroof option.
Hey, I'm catching up... in mileage that is! Only 50kms off the 10,000km mark.
This car is pretty damn solid as well,.... esp. for a Cabriolet!!

Side note: may need snow tires today(or keep it parked).....

Old 11-01-2014, 12:07 PM
zedosix
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Hey, I'm catching up... in mileage that is! Only 50kms off the 10,000km mark.
This car is pretty damn solid as well,.... esp. for a Cabriolet!!

Side note: may need snow tires today(or keep it parked).....

Just bought a set! But they came with a 2015 f350 lol
Old 11-01-2014, 12:48 PM
Pipehitter
Rennlist Member

2014 TTS here, no rattles so far after 4k miles of driving. I do have the sunroof. I live in Colorado where the roads tend to be rough. Overall I'm very happy with the car.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:28 AM
DragonRR
Instructor

Originally Posted by zedosix
Just bought a set! But they came with a 2015 f350 lol
Old 11-02-2014, 05:53 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's been a very tight car this end... can't say I've experienced any rattles to date. Seems odd you're having these types of issues really for such a new car. Maybe it had a tough start before you came along? Was it a press car or something? The smoke out the tail pipes also sounds very odd for this 9a1 engine. I knew it was an issue for mezger, along with other nasty issues (cam etc)....so much for bullet proof there eh....but on all accounts so far this new 9a1 hasn't had those sorts of problems reported. I'd be asking questions if it were me.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:31 AM
DragonRR
Instructor

I'm as sure as I can be that it wasn't a press car and it was in essentially new condition when I picked it up. I'm fairly sure the bulging spoiler was the product of the dealer leaving the spoiler part deployed for a long period (I've seen this done since). The rattles may or may not be bad luck although the sunroof is a widely reported problem.

Whilst the Swindon dealer (where I bought the car) would, potentially, discourage me from worrying about the exhaust smoke the Sheffield dealer would have no reasonable reason to and they corroborated the comments made by Swindon. In fact the mechanic there said that calls from worried customers about blue smoke from the current flat six engine were quite common. This particular chap has been honest and extremely meticulous throughout so I would find it hard to believe he would just ignore the smoke if it was... a real problem. I haven't seen a wisp of blue smoke since then and I'm quite watchful for it despite the assurances!

I'm inclined to put the whole thing down to bad luck right now although.. as I wrote in a pretty grumpy email to the Swindon dealer a week ago.. I'm quite paranoid now and patience has become a very slender thread!
Old 11-02-2014, 06:16 PM
speed21
Banned

Did they say exactly how the 2000 kms came about before you got it?

I'm not sure if I buy the smoke issue being prevalent in 9A1's. I've never heard that about this engine but I will check today and come back. I will say "it's normal" is a pretty standard answer though, particularly if it's engine or gearbox related lol. I recall the cold start rev up issue on mezger.... couldn't count how many times I heard that was normal before I gave that one a good push. Same thing with the smoke out the tailpipes. Blaming it on the design of the engine is a bit flaky when you look at the fact it is a dry sumped engine and the oil would return to the oil pan, not with pistons swimming in it after shutdown. It would be to do with a separator or something of that nature where it would be either faulty or having a hard time dealing with the actual separation due to some other underlying issue. The degree of severity of the actual cause would come down to the frequency it does it.. And just because the engine runs fine after doesn't mean "everything" is 100%.

I would agree it's pretty common to see dealers display these cars with the spoilers extended but I've also noticed the front spoiler will partially deflate over several hours so that means there is always minor leak off without a constant feed of pressure from when the engine is running. I've left mine inflated overnight and the next morning the centre section is never fully extended to where it should be.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:50 PM
08viper1
Instructor

Some one must have run the car hard like a demo car...My 14 TS has absolutely no rattles at all and no smoke at all...That is why I only buy brand new cars, as people will beat a car they do not own .They do not care....
Old 11-02-2014, 11:44 PM
speed21
Banned

Yeh nothing like brand spanking. With a demo you never really know, and even though the car is generally up to the punishment it gets down to how the punishment was being delivered from new that can make or break the future of the car. They say you can break anything if you try hard enough....or at least make it never the same. So you are correct viper by saying demos usually cop a flogging at one point as everyone wants to test the power of the car, launch and god knows what else for that matter. I mean that IS what a demo is about in a car like this now isn't it? Not like nanna is going to take one out of these out and putter around in the centre lane..

What blows me with the OP's rattle situation is how the dealer has managed to sell it to him with these issues when surely over the past 2000 miles someone would have had to have noticed the problems. Now either they did and were unable to fix them or, they just left them covered up enough to get it out the door, but either way it's pretty slack to sell a car with issues like this and then act like they just appeared after OP just happened to buy the car, ...sure is smelly. The saving grace of the car being awesome isn't the point here. For sure the car is awesome, we know that, but, the car should be right, and it's not. The dealer can BS on all they like now but it doesn't change the facts, so they need to pony up or replace the car.

Edit: Op I hope you are aware the solo # 4 is associated to very bad luck, the Chinese refer it as the death number, so, maybe the car was OK before it was fitted..
Edit: got word on the smoke issue...as suspected...BS! It applied to some of the very early 9a1's back in the oil burning issue days etc. The new ones (991) are very healthy, no oil burning, no smoking, zip. Certainly no 991 turbos so maybe he is conveniently reminiscing on past turbo days of the mezger? Maybe ask this guy for some proof such as some 991tt/tts users ph numbers with this so called smoking issue before you buy that story. Sounds to me they are in damage control...will say anything to smooth you over.

Last edited by speed21; 11-03-2014 at 01:11 AM.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:04 AM
DragonRR
Instructor

Thanks for your comments speed21. I was told that the car had been demo'd to customers and used by management from time to time. To be fair to the original dealer they have already offered to refund the car, even on day two after the problem with the compressor. Of course it's possible that the car has been thrashed but I was told it had been looked after and the fact that there was a problem with spoiler deployment over 75mph tends to make you think it probably hadn't been given all that much stick or they would have noticed it.

I had no idea about the "4" symbolism and normally it wouldn't bother me but it is making me wonder now Although, of course, the "4" is photoshopped.. I may now change it!

The smoke is a puzzle because the same line was provided by both dealers (who aren't owned by the same group) and the second dealer (Sheffield) could potentially get business from me if there really is a problem with the smoke and I go for money back. I'm going to re-check with them.

EDIT:
I spoke to my main sales contact at Sheffield about the smoke. He has then spent a fair bit of time today investigating and has come up with the same answer. In some situations there will be a puff or two of blue smoke from the engine. An example of this would be - driving quite hard, stop for a period, drive off quickly which is what happened in my case. They've also run diagnostics on my car today to check and it is all ok. I don't get blue smoke normally, it was that one occasion. I am "reasonably" satisfied with the answer I've had although I'm a little concerned about why you (speed21) have had differing views of course.

I'm undecided about the direction I'm going to take with the car at this point. I've got it back now, it seems fine but I'll know for certain in the next few days. The chief mechanic spoke to me about the oil again whilst I was there and has assured me that the odd bit of blue smoke is normal even with the latest generation flat six engine.

Last edited by DragonRR; 11-03-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:39 PM
08viper1
Instructor

You are not happy and never will be.So,get you money back and get a brand new one.Tell them you want to be notified when it gets off the truck .A 200,000.00 plus should not smoke... Period

Believe me your car had the **** run out of it from day one from the managers and on every demo ride.Yes,a Porsche can take it and it is under warranty, but that is not what you paid for.....

Do not cut your self short ,so get yourself new one when the offer is on the table....

Quick Reply: Awesome... rattles aside