Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

GT3RS owner asking opinion - please be gentle!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 03:29 PM
1198r
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3RS owner asking opinion - please be gentle!

Hi people.

I am GT3 RS (997.2) owner of past four years.

For some reason, I am drawn to the 991 turbo S (just think it is awesome!) and am enquiring as to how you find the car? happy to hear from anyone but if there is an RS or former RS owner who has both or now the turbo, even better.

The car would be used for road and track work (not loads of track) - I just really like driving. Track opinions would be very useful. Also, in nanny mode I would let and want the wife to drive it - she flat refuses to drive the RS!

Other motors i'm considering are waiting for the GT3RS or might even wait for the GT2RS.

I am test driving the turbo on Saturday but thought i'd get some first hand opinions here.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by 1198r; 07-17-2014 at 07:58 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 04:00 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 157 Posts

Love mine. I plan to use it like you - mostly on road, but some track time.

Fantastic daily driver and long haul cruiser, so your wife would have absolutely no complaints.

But also astonishingly capable in terms of acceleration, braking, and grip in the corners. Perhaps not as precise or sharp as a track-focused car like a GT3, but truly amazing abilities for a car that is so comfortable around town and for long periods of continuous driving.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:03 PM
08viper1
Instructor

The 991 TS is outstanding in everyway. I concur with above statement of Just J completely ...
Old 07-15-2014, 10:53 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TTS: fast, dull, 9 on road, 7 on track.
GTRS: fast, aggressive, 6 on road, 9 on track
Old 07-16-2014, 01:43 AM
shawsan
Instructor

A 991 TTS, IMHO, is all about awesome power output, creature comforts, wonderful performance as a DD, especially with AWD, and capable but not superb on the track. If you love the precision and sharpness of the GT3RS, you`re going to notice the softeness of the 991TTS. There`s a great compromise, however. Its the 991 GT3 -- dual clutch with auto mode for your wife, an advance over prior models in daily driver compliance, rear wheel steering that corrects for oversteer, and astounding on the track. Plus its about 60K cheaper than the ridiculously priced 991TTS that can`t outdo a 997 TTS in a 0-60 or quarter mile sprint.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:23 AM
cartester
Instructor

During your test drive put the car in sport plus mode and the PDK in shift yourself mode. Then find some open road to feel the power. Watch the speedometer, speed builds smoothly and very quickly. In default mode with computer shifting the PDK shifts early and often for economy.

If you can, and they let you, try a launch control start. There you have to let the computer shift, they come too quick to keep up manually and you'll be bouncing off the rev limiter.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:11 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This car is all about speed and agility along with having all the creature comforts.....truly invincible on the street. Haven't used it on track at this stage but i'm sure it will deliver and leave those GT3 RS's in the wake...depending on who's steering of course. The way TTS can carve through traffic is simply astonishing...nothing is ever a problem or unacheivable...but def requires handling with care. It's a blast requiring full concentration at times. Anyone who says it's boring either can't drive or isn't using the equipment for what it was designed for. Pure pleasure when used correctly. Foot down and go! See if the brain can keep up. Not saying GT3 isn't a heap of fun too either but it is a hard car on the street and is no way as fast. Sure 991tts doesn't have a manual shifter but you will be kept busy enough if you use it for what it was designed for. PDK is so slick and the car basically drives and feels like a rocket propelled feather. You will struggle to reach it's potential and stay alive. Manual paddles are great too btw. Left leg after a GT3 rs will need a rest by now so enjoy the TT in good health and let the wife test her nerve in flooring this thing off the line and keep the foot pinned for longer than 2 seconds. My advice is you better put plastic cover on the seat first. Agree don't bother to drive it in normal ever. Use only Sport in either auto or manual mode or sports plus in manual only. Drive it and tell me if it isn't worth the change. Either way there is no lose.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:57 AM
1198r
Pro

Well, if ever there was a warm welcome in the turbo forum - I found it - thanks to all the contributions, positive and negative.

Am test driving car tomorrow so will post feedback tomorrow.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:58 AM
1198r
Pro

Well, if ever there was a warm welcome in the turbo forum - I found it - thanks to all the contributions, positive and negative.

Am test driving car tomorrow so will post feedback tomorrow.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:14 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You are very welcome. We love the green GT3 rs too! Maybe try and keep it as a stable mate!
Old 07-16-2014, 09:15 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 258 Posts

I had 4 years behind the wheel of a fully track modified GT3 and in my case a TT Cab is just what the Dr ordered! No mods, straight up stock and enjoying it more and more for all the reasons listed above. I may add an exhaust at some point but that's about all it really needs IMO.
Looking forward to your impressions!

Old 07-16-2014, 11:58 AM
TrackFan
Banned

Just another opinion from a different angle. I'm really picky about letting others drive my car.

If I had a wife that wouldn't drive a GT3 RS. That's what i'd be buying.

Not being offensive I hope. Just an honest answer.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:25 PM
1198r
Pro

Originally Posted by speed21
You are very welcome. We love the green GT3 rs too! Maybe try and keep it as a stable mate!

That would b the plan!

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
I had 4 years behind the wheel of a fully track modified GT3 and in my case a TT Cab is just what the Dr ordered! No mods, straight up stock and enjoying it more and more for all the reasons listed above. I may add an exhaust at some point but that's about all it really needs IMO.
Looking forward to your impressions!

That is what I am hoping for and will certainly post my views. Am actually really looking forward to it!

Originally Posted by TrackFan
Just another opinion from a different angle. I'm really picky about letting others drive my car.

If I had a wife that wouldn't drive a GT3 RS. That's what i'd be buying.

Not being offensive I hope. Just an honest answer.
None taken and understand. Thing for me is driving these cars is such a special thing I want my better half to experience and enjoy and hopefully realise what the fuss is all about. As we all do, I started hinting at the Turbo a while ago - I think we first saw one on the road when were out one time and she said - I like that! She maybe in for a pleasant surprise!
Old 07-17-2014, 03:58 PM
1198r
Pro

So I did the test drive...

Nice silver turbo with steel brakes. Dealership let me drive my own route with salesman in car - he took one look at the RS and gave me the key straight away saying - if you own that, you can drive this easy!

Drove on motorway and some less busier roads where the true motor and handling could be experienced.

Impressions:

- I was surprised at how small the car felt. I'm sure seating position had something to do with it.
- Driving on nanny mode, easy and for everyday plodding along, great. Suspension and ride quality just right. Quick accelerations to get away from butters out here - nice bonus. Steering was actually not too bad - a pleasant surprise. You can feel what is going on - does not feel too digital - much better than a GTR that is for sure!
- off the motorway and sport selected with manual gear selection - floored it in 3rd and woosh!! Your gone in flash. Then into sport plus with manual and heavy acceleration and I might as well of been on the starship enterprise - it was warp speed. I had a GTR before the RS and it did not accelerate as quick as this turbo! Went around some roundabouts and handling was good - you can feel the all wheel working - it turned good but something with the from end felt a bit weird - a bit too synthetic - hard to explain - I had no doubt the car could turn just fine, it just felt a bit fake. Accelerated hard and on two up changes there was quite a bit of lag - even the salesman seemed surprised.
- I then attempted to do launch control. Sport plus, left foot on brake, right foot on accelerator wait for launch control activated on and go! It didn't work. Tried again and although the launch control message didn't come on I did the most amazing, hard accelerating start ever experienced! It was so violent but gripped so well I actually made myself giddy! The sales guy was speechless. We tried it again but was not as good as the previous - i'm never gonna forget that.
- The car sounded pretty good for a turbo and certainly loved the back fire as you changed down gear!

So in summary, an awesome all round car no doubt. My wife would be fine it. I would be fine in it too.

Salesman said he felt the turbo S was not worth the extra money.... thoughts? I'm tempted.....

Had a good chat with salesman - he even offered me choice of two GT3's or 5 turbo's but no turbo S.

So i'll ponder some more. Just wish I knew when the RS will become official - then I can truly make a decision.

That launch though.......man!
Old 07-17-2014, 06:12 PM
cartester
Instructor

On launch control you have to floor the accelerator pedal all the way and hold it down. Part throttle even almost all the way down is insufficient to engage the mode. This is my experience anyway.

Quick Reply: GT3RS owner asking opinion - please be gentle!