991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

awkward Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014 | 12:24 AM
GoDawgs
2nd Gear

OP, it's a tough question because, irrelevant of how much life happiness and value the car brings you, it still depends. It depends on how valuable you are to the work force and the probabilities of future income levels, what kind of return your investments will get (aka opportunity cost), your age, your retirement age, your current and future life expenses etc. Imo you also have to evaluate "how good" the opportunity is to buy a car now vs the future. What I mean is... if you're in a decent spot now to buy the car and you likely won't have an opportunity as good in the future, and owning the car is an experience you will really want in your life, then do it now. If you're in a so-so spot to buy the car now, but you think there is a 95% chance you'll be in a better position to own it in the future, then probably wait.

If you made me pick a general rule though I'd say NW should be like 10x the price of the car, given a solid income and you're not spending a huge chunk of it in life expenses/yr.

But my opinion on this is constantly changing and generally gearing towards more conservative #s as I grow older (I'm prob one of the younger TT owners out there, albeit 997). That being said if you lose someone close to you or get really sick the thoughts on this subject will change in a hurry--I know. It's a balance act between working hard and planning for the future while also enjoying yourself in the current and using some of that $ to add happiness to your life.

You could also go the route of a nice low mileage 3-4 yr old and not get smashed with depreciation. But think of how much that $ could be making if it was invested instead!

Originally Posted by L_perm
I agree. The OP's post is inappropriate. I would also guess that the stigma created by those who so comfortably make fun of Somalians is something the OP is trying to avoid.

A few Porsches in the garage and a witless quip at the expense of a nation with severe poverty problems helps us all. Thanks.
Have a beer man.
Old 06-26-2014 | 09:02 PM
Fred Flintstone
Advanced

Appreciate the replies guys. appreciate very much the comments about losing someone in life and things of that nature. that is all good stuff. But, one of the things that bothers me is with $200K I could probably send 4 kids to college (I'm single, not married, no kids) -- or something like that... you know, do some good in the world. If I never own a TTS, I will die a happy man. If I have one, surely I will have some measurable fun. But, compare that to the things that money could do for someone else - it can change a life. So, that is where the "guilt" (for lack of a better word) comes in. Anyway -- not to bring a downer subject to a great site. I love reading the stuff here and the enthusiasm these cars bring to people. I work hard, have done well... and I will buy one. But, it's good to keep things in check -- I guess that is my main point. We are very fortunate people. So, count your blessings! (btw - I am not religious in any way -- just feeling fortunate, is all).

I visit dealer Monday to being negotiations! I will probably be asking for advice on that process. Only bought one car in my whole life (My current M3 --a process that took 15 mins, on the phone!).
Old 06-27-2014 | 01:14 AM
bigdogtex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Fred Flintstone
Appreciate the replies guys. appreciate very much the comments about losing someone in life and things of that nature. that is all good stuff. But, one of the things that bothers me is with $200K I could probably send 4 kids to college (I'm single, not married, no kids) -- or something like that... you know, do some good in the world. If I never own a TTS, I will die a happy man. If I have one, surely I will have some measurable fun. But, compare that to the things that money could do for someone else - it can change a life. So, that is where the "guilt" (for lack of a better word) comes in. Anyway -- not to bring a downer subject to a great site. I love reading the stuff here and the enthusiasm these cars bring to people. I work hard, have done well... and I will buy one. But, it's good to keep things in check -- I guess that is my main point. We are very fortunate people. So, count your blessings! (btw - I am not religious in any way -- just feeling fortunate, is all). I visit dealer Monday to being negotiations! I will probably be asking for advice on that process. Only bought one car in my whole life (My current M3 --a process that took 15 mins, on the phone!).
it will take less than 15 minutes this time. You get to pay sticker!
Old 06-27-2014 | 10:35 AM
AndrewP
Pro

How do I justify a TTS? Certainly not from any financial perspective. Regardless of net worth, such a purchase makes zero financial sense. The decision is purely subjective, i.e. personal. Justifying a purely subjective decision would definitely create conflicts for one who believes that she or he must do so and this forum is about Porsche turbos. Metrics on income and net worth or demographic factors certainly influence the marketing department at PAG, but have no interest to me.

For me opting for a TTS derives from my abiding appreciation of amazing design, engineering and the relative non-conformity of all Porches, especially the TT or TTS. There is no substitute is not just a slogan as far as I am concerned.

Regarding the OP's question on ordering a TT/TTS, just be direct and deal with a knowledgeable sales rep. Basically, if you don't ask, you don't get. If anything about the deal seems off, walk away and go to another dealer, as doubts are likely to lead to regret after purchase.
Old 06-27-2014 | 03:36 PM
red route 1
Instructor

I had hoped on rennlist we wouldn't have to do therapy sessions. Can we get back to talking about the cars.
Old 06-27-2014 | 10:23 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AndrewP
How do I justify a TTS? Certainly not from any financial perspective. Regardless of net worth, such a purchase makes zero financial sense. The decision is purely subjective, i.e. personal. Justifying a purely subjective decision would definitely create conflicts for one who believes that she or he must do so and this forum is about Porsche turbos. Metrics on income and net worth or demographic factors certainly influence the marketing department at PAG, but have no interest to me.

For me opting for a TTS derives from my abiding appreciation of amazing design, engineering and the relative non-conformity of all Porches, especially the TT or TTS. There is no substitute is not just a slogan as far as I am concerned.

Regarding the OP's question on ordering a TT/TTS, just be direct and deal with a knowledgeable sales rep. Basically, if you don't ask, you don't get. If anything about the deal seems off, walk away and go to another dealer, as doubts are likely to lead to regret after purchase.
In a nutshell!

Old 06-27-2014 | 10:46 PM
08viper1
Instructor

It is difficult to get a deal on a new TS.My 2011 and 2104 I had to pay MSRP.But I wanted the cars and it is what it is...On my other cars,some times I get 10,000.00 under MSRP,I kick get their ***..Not on TSs..

Go get your Turbo S and then keep it and you can help collage kids in the future...
Old 06-28-2014 | 07:39 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fred Flintstone
Appreciate the replies guys. appreciate very much the comments about losing someone in life and things of that nature. that is all good stuff. But, one of the things that bothers me is with $200K I could probably send 4 kids to college (I'm single, not married, no kids) -- or something like that... you know, do some good in the world. If I never own a TTS, I will die a happy man. If I have one, surely I will have some measurable fun. But, compare that to the things that money could do for someone else - it can change a life. So, that is where the "guilt" (for lack of a better word) comes in. Anyway -- not to bring a downer subject to a great site. I love reading the stuff here and the enthusiasm these cars bring to people. I work hard, have done well... and I will buy one. But, it's good to keep things in check -- I guess that is my main point. We are very fortunate people. So, count your blessings! (btw - I am not religious in any way -- just feeling fortunate, is all).

I visit dealer Monday to being negotiations! I will probably be asking for advice on that process. Only bought one car in my whole life (My current M3 --a process that took 15 mins, on the phone!).
Do both (college/ benevolence of your choice AND car). Most of us earn a decent living....most of us give a lot of it away - so do both and reward yourself for some hard work by getting the wheels you want...which gives you some carnal satisfaction which keeps you moving the ball forward to give more to the community. Try it - it works....benevolence = good things. Flame me if you want - but if you buying in this price point, you should be able to do both.....but that's just me - more conservative as I age....
Old 06-28-2014 | 12:23 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Why do what it takes to make money if you are not going to spend some of it on things you want but don't need? There are no pockets in coffins.
Old 06-30-2014 | 10:56 PM
zedosix
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
Despite what you may think, people don't give 911's a second look. Ubiquitous car, looks like any other 911.

Besides, you don't want to be the richest guy in the cemetery.
To the car savvy Porsche guy the TTS-TT is far from any other 911. It's presence is mind blowing. Have a couple cold ones, sit back and have a good look at this car, and tell me it looks like any other 911
Old 07-01-2014 | 05:02 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by zedosix
To the car savvy Porsche guy the TTS-TT is far from any other 911. It's presence is mind blowing. Have a couple cold ones, sit back and have a good look at this car, and tell me it looks like any other 911
This.
Old 07-01-2014 | 11:20 PM
bigdogtex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Overdraft
Do both (college/ benevolence of your choice AND car). Most of us earn a decent living....most of us give a lot of it away - so do both and reward yourself for some hard work by getting the wheels you want...which gives you some carnal satisfaction which keeps you moving the ball forward to give more to the community. Try it - it works....benevolence = good things. Flame me if you want - but if you buying in this price point, you should be able to do both.....but that's just me - more conservative as I age....
+1
Old 07-05-2014 | 08:03 PM
jwp98
Track Day

911 Turbo is THE high performance/low profile car. A lot of folks won't notice it. To the trained eye, sure, big air intakes and wide tires say more than a wing or aero kit. But you'll get much less attention than other cars in that price range. Depends where you live--Miami, you're invisible. Small town WI, you're a celeb, like it or not. You know this.

Class warfare has not been an issue for me, nor has police thuggery, so far. I am always friendly and chat with people who like cars, and I don't drive like an idiot. Except that I picked up a hitchhiker once...could hardly fit his stinky bags in but he told interesting stories.

As far as helping people, you are: someone has to design, build, move, sell, and service your Porsche. And I think what man can achieve in design and engineering is a sort of worship, or at least inspiration. And they aren't dangerous, or gas guzzlers, or loud, etc etc

No need to justify anything, if you can afford it, enjoy it.
Old 07-05-2014 | 08:42 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

....don't drive like an idiot. THAT is the key. Drive a 911 or exotic like an idiot and people hate you. Drive like a mature adult and the car is usually admired. Maybe it's my imagination but do mature adults buy Lamborghini's? So many seem to be driven by idiots.
Old 07-11-2014 | 05:23 PM
TrackFan
Banned

If you can pay cash for the car, and not notice the money is gone..........you'll have no remorse, or care what anybody thinks.

Otherwise, you'll be starting threads like this one.

Quick Reply: awkward Question