Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

TT vs TTS video

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 08:42 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've looked, thought, looked, and thought again, and think I'm just gonna stick with the alphabet soup. Looking at zedosix's car and my own it definitely looks better than the other variants (to me anyway).

Maybe gen 2 will produce a new solution….

I still maintain if the "turbo S" badge was made to a bigger size to balance out better in the space available, and was stuck mid height it may well prove to be the best solution, but to do away with the iconic "turbo" off the rear doesn't attract me one bit. Everyone ought to know by now it's a Porsche and, a 911, so out of what's there now if anything should go those two badges should be the first casualties imho….but to each his own.

Now where were we again with the next shootout? Any of you guys going to line up the two variants again and give it another go on video? If the TT wins again then I'm off to the dealer to lose those extra nm's and Kw's….
Attached Images  
Old 05-01-2014, 08:56 PM
ColdList
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Like the plate, but it's taking me a while to get used to all the damn letters on these 991's!!
Like alphabet soup...

I think they should put little stars on either side of the Turbo S part so you know it's special-hahahaha!
Old 05-01-2014, 09:13 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
^ So all you have on the rear is "Turbo" ?......no P O R S C H E ?

If so love to see a pic of that. Truly. I would like to see one with out the other badging. You know you could have always kept the "S" as a souvenir....or sell it for a packet on Ebay! I'm even toying with the idea of using mat black on the turbo S badge and just having that. I'm sure it wont be too much trouble to get that done but was hoping to have seen a car without the Porsche badge before I went ahead.

Re the run. But what happens if the stock TT blows you? As it could well do! Then he will think for sure your car is broken or just a dud unit. JK.
Thanks so much for for the Pic YellowPMan. Looks fine but I can't help but feel something is still not quite right. Maybe it's because the new rear has the crease line dead horizontal with the top of the rear lights separating the bumper from the lid, leaving the badge area large and uncontaminated for the bar to take care of any badging all on its own whereas 997tt had the decklid/bar join line horizontally midway making the badge to go on the deck lid. Hmmm. I feel that with just the PORSCHE badge it fills the area a bit better but sadly in that process knocks out the iconic "turbo" insignia in a bid to become less complicated if you will.

Maybe the turbo S badge just needs to be a bit bigger if it is to sit alone…and maybe needs to come down 1/2 inch or so from where it is.. I think that is the only solution to this but where do you get a slightly larger turbo badge in that font? Hmm. This one is not going to be easy. Maybe that's why Porsche went the whole hog and stuck everything they could find to fill the area. Crazy as it sounds that's the only thing that seems to make any sense now after looking at both options.

Sorry for the jack OP. It seems we have strayed off the beaten path of the main topic of racing one another for ultimate line honours, instead have now delved into trivial aesthetics over which badge solution is best.
I've looked, thought, looked, and thought again, and think I'm just gonna stick with the alphabet soup. Looking at zedosix's car and my own it definitely looks better than the other variants (to me anyway).

I still maintain if the "turbo S" badge was made to a bigger size to balance out better in the space available, and was stuck mid height it may well prove to be the best solution, but to do away with the iconic "turbo" off the rear doesn't attract me one bit. Everyone ought to know by now it's a Porsche and, a 911, so out of what's there now if anything should go those two badges should be the first casualties imho….but to each his own.

Now where were we again with the next shootout? Any of you guys going to line up the two variants again and give it another go on video? If the TT wins again then I'm off to the dealer to lose those extra nm's and Kw's….
....or this. I went with the minimalistic approach. I loved it, my wife didn't.
Attached Images  
Old 05-01-2014, 09:19 PM
Snorman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious, how does your TTS have chrome-rimmed tailpipes? I thought the TTS had blacked out pipes and the TT had chromed ones.
S.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:13 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
....or this. I went with the minimalistic approach. I loved it, my wife didn't.
Looks a little sparse. To me i feel the space is too vast to just have a solo letter but if you like it that is all that really matters.

Originally Posted by Snorman
Just curious, how does your TTS have chrome-rimmed tailpipes? I thought the TTS had blacked out pipes and the TT had chromed ones.
S.
You are correct.

I was lucky enough that there was a regular TT on the floor to swap the tips over and the dealer was happy to oblige. I just found that the blackened tips were lost in the black valance and with the chrome tips, they tied in heaps better with the polished wheels and the rear badges. I know the blackened tips are worth more $ but I was happy to forgo that in favor of achieving the look I wanted. I have always seen the new quad tips as a feature of the new turbo too, but found that look was somewhat lost with the blackened tips imo.

I will put up a pic of the side rear later when I get home and you will see what I mean about the tie in with the wheels.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:15 PM
speed21
Banned

Here's that shot snorman. I think the chrome tips just tie in better with the other shiny stuff.
Attached Images  

Last edited by speed21; 05-02-2014 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:55 PM
Snorman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I prefer the chromed tips as well. I doubt the black tips are more $$$, in fact I would think it's the opposite. But neat to know those just unbolt that easily.
S.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:09 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by Snorman
I prefer the chromed tips as well. I doubt the black tips are more $$$, in fact I would think it's the opposite. But neat to know those just unbolt that easily.
S.
Yeah I checked on the option list and saw for another 500 or some stupid amount like that you can spec the Blackened Chromed "S" tips on your TT...not sure why anyone would want to do that but....

And yes they come off very easily, one bolt to loosen off each side. I guess whoever the new TT buyer winds up being will be told he got a set of black chrome "S" tips for free lol. He can have em....glad it's not me. Agree they should be cheaper than the shiny chromes.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:31 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 159 Posts

A can of black high temp paint and you can have black ones too. I bought a TT because I didn't want the PCCBs. I did get PDCC. Delta was 24K but the brakes were the deciding factor for me. I do like the center locks. I have thought about taking all the model designations off but decided to just leave it as is.
I think a black "turbo" would look great but too much trouble to do and get exactly right.

Quick Reply: TT vs TTS video