Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

MASSIVE Turbo lag on takeoff

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 10:25 AM
ColdList
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you! That is what I was thinking at first as well-not being in boost range. And "bogs" is the perfect term. It is not as though it actually bogs but feels as if it will for a split second.

I am surprised at the degree to which it does however. It really sort of sits there before pulling you like crazy. As you stated. LC is designed to overcome this as well as get you through the gears quickly.

I am also thinking that the PDK may have a tiny bit of a propensity to do this. There are a few threads where non turbo users are extremely frustrated with the "pause" they are experiencing.

My car seemed a tiny bit inconsistent in the length of the delay as well, which is probably also normal.

Hey, in all sincerity, I want to thank you very much for your willingness to try to replicate the behavior on your car and to give me feedback. That is extremely helpful to me and very much in the spirit of what this board is for.

Thank you so much.

Mike
Old 03-09-2014, 10:54 AM
E4VLL
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike, one word of caution. When discussing this with your dealer, Porsche Europe can get a little 'funny' if they download the rev ranges and find the car has been over revved. I am not sure if the US is the same but from Nissan (GT-R) to Merc and BMW all do their best to weasel out of warranty claims if they can prove the car has been driven into redline excessively. There have been cases in Europe where dealers wouldn't buy GT3s back because there are too many high rev range logs and Nissan has voided the entire warranty because of data log reports (BMW have been known to void parts of their warranty on M-product because of too many LCs).

I am not suggesting that you have ragged your Turbo but just giving you a word of caution regarding using LC and mashing the pedal when using manual mode, AND discussing it with your dealer.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:46 PM
08viper1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes,if you just mash the gas without LC,the car will have a bit of lag.The turbos need a second to spool up.My 997 TS did the same. Same as my 991 TS does. Nothing wrong with your car.

So,use lauch control,PSM off (will pull power) in sport plus and you will smoke everything out their....
Old 03-09-2014, 10:36 PM
Nick Yoskin
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ColdList
Ok can you give me the laymans explanation please? Are you saying this is normal? Tried today again. Car is stopped in Sport+. I stomp on it. It slowly role forward for about a half second then pulls like a freight train.

Using LC there is no issue. Blurs your eyes.

Thank you in advance.

NP!
Yeah basically the engineers built in all kinds of torque managment. It is there to help keep driveline parts from becoming a liability... IE breaking.
Torque management allows them control the speed rate of which the throttle opens, amongst lots of other thingst. It is possible that the torque mangement "kicked in" and made what you interpeted as "boost lag" as just a throttle that was taking its good ole time.

Keep in mind there can be many tables of TM...these can be vary from gear to gear of NON LC to LC...
Old 03-10-2014, 12:14 AM
Tapeworm
Instructor

I'm sure This is just cautious PDK programming. I had a very similar lag on my 2013 991C4S - it was reduced with the latest PDK software update, but it's still present. In a GTR or Audi S4, these cars just go in the same situation. The PDK seems to lag as if it's wondering if you are serious. To me it really feels as if you could floor the gas, the let off immediately and you would not have moved. Maybe they are being cautious with the Turbo drivetrain and will remove this once they have more real world data?
Old 03-10-2014, 01:28 AM
shawsan
Instructor

You may be relieved to know the lag/bog you describe is a carry over from the 997TTS. Exactly the same applies unless one uses Launch Control, and all the explanations relating to torque management and minimizing damage to the dual clutch/trans mechanism are spot on.

Having said this, I really dislike this characteristic of my 997TTS, and would feel the same as you regarding your 991TTS. My Ferrari 458 has no such lag/bog and driving my 458 and 997TTS back to back just conveys how intrusive and disturbing the lag/bog is on my 997TTS. My reaction when in early days was the engine was on the verge of stalling.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:36 AM
ColdList
Racer

Originally Posted by E4VLL
Mike, one word of caution. When discussing this with your dealer, Porsche Europe can get a little 'funny' if they download the rev ranges and find the car has been over revved. I am not sure if the US is the same but from Nissan (GT-R) to Merc and BMW all do their best to weasel out of warranty claims if they can prove the car has been driven into redline excessively. There have been cases in Europe where dealers wouldn't buy GT3s back because there are too many high rev range logs and Nissan has voided the entire warranty because of data log reports (BMW have been known to void parts of their warranty on M-product because of too many LCs).

I am not suggesting that you have ragged your Turbo but just giving you a word of caution regarding using LC and mashing the pedal when using manual mode, AND discussing it with your dealer.
Thanks for the word of caution. I am actually not one who abuses the car. This came up merely as a result of me showing my wife the car and having a little new car fun. The funny thing is that when I mentioned breaking in at the dealer they said "ah...just drive it hard. you can't hurt this engine or PDK!". Not sure Porsche NA would look at it quite the same-lol! I was hard on my TT right out o the gate but I have been more careful with my TTS.

Last edited by ColdList; 03-10-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:06 PM
ColdList
Racer

Originally Posted by 08viper1
Yes,if you just mash the gas without LC,the car will have a bit of lag.The turbos need a second to spool up.My 997 TS did the same. Same as my 991 TS does. Nothing wrong with your car.

So,use lauch control,PSM off (will pull power) in sport plus and you will smoke everything out their....
Old 03-10-2014, 02:08 PM
ColdList
Racer

Originally Posted by Nick Yoskin
Keep in mind there can be many tables of TM...these can be vary from gear to gear of NON LC to LC...
Thanks.

And i am sure you are 100% right. It is not acting the same way in LC because of the programming for a launch.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:10 PM
ColdList
Racer

Originally Posted by Tapeworm
The PDK seems to lag as if it's wondering if you are serious. To me it really feels as if you could floor the gas, the let off immediately and you would not have moved.
EXACTLY how it feels.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:13 PM
ColdList
Racer

Originally Posted by shawsan
You may be relieved to know the lag/bog you describe is a carry over from the 997TTS. Exactly the same applies unless one uses Launch Control, and all the explanations relating to torque management and minimizing damage to the dual clutch/trans mechanism are spot on.

Having said this, I really dislike this characteristic of my 997TTS, and would feel the same as you regarding your 991TTS. My Ferrari 458 has no such lag/bog and driving my 458 and 997TTS back to back just conveys how intrusive and disturbing the lag/bog is on my 997TTS. My reaction when in early days was the engine was on the verge of stalling.
Thanks for chiming on on this. I was wondering if ti was a carryover from prev. models. Yes, while it is "normal" it is terribly annoying. Porsche brags about the PDK being indestructible yet they build in a delay that no other manufacturers that I am aware are doing. My BMW M6 does not do this nor did my M5 (both latest F versions with V8 TT and DCT).
Old 03-11-2014, 12:45 AM
Nick Yoskin
Burning Brakes

Coldlist,
Lets discuss rev limiter counts for a moment. OK, so every auto manfuactor today installs software in the ECU that control the engines abilty not to be overrevved. These RPM limiters are variable and are based on if the car is in P N 1 2 3 4 5 6 ect.... So my point is there is NO way that your car can be revved past the limiter set by Porsche unless the car has somesort of recalibration flash or some piggyback which obviously is not the case. The only way a car can be revved past these limiters is in a manual transmission and mechanically over revved. Example 6th gear to 3rd gear dont shift! You need not worry!
Old 03-11-2014, 02:14 AM
TurboDoc
Intermediate

I think ColdList is right to be frustrated. 200k and you can't mash the pedal and get the expected result? Come on Porsche this is absurd. I don't care what the reason is; you expect not to have these issues with the top of the line 911. GT3 catching on fire, loss of acceleration on hard turn in another Rennlist thread, headlights falling out and now this.

Don't get me wrong I want a 991turbo but I think I can wait a little while. Maybe I will get lucky and they will bring back the manual. When I mash the pedal in my manual I know what happens next.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:12 PM
ColdList
Racer

Originally Posted by Nick Yoskin
Coldlist,
Lets discuss rev limiter counts for a moment. OK, so every auto manfuactor today installs software in the ECU that control the engines abilty not to be overrevved. These RPM limiters are variable and are based on if the car is in P N 1 2 3 4 5 6 ect.... So my point is there is NO way that your car can be revved past the limiter set by Porsche unless the car has somesort of recalibration flash or some piggyback which obviously is not the case. The only way a car can be revved past these limiters is in a manual transmission and mechanically over revved. Example 6th gear to 3rd gear dont shift! You need not worry!
Agreed.

Originally Posted by TurboDoc
I think ColdList is right to be frustrated. 200k and you can't mash the pedal and get the expected result? Come on Porsche this is absurd. I don't care what the reason is; you expect not to have these issues with the top of the line 911. GT3 catching on fire, loss of acceleration on hard turn in another Rennlist thread, headlights falling out and now this.

Don't get me wrong I want a 991turbo but I think I can wait a little while. Maybe I will get lucky and they will bring back the manual. When I mash the pedal in my manual I know what happens next.
Exactly how I feel. To add to this, I took the car to Hennessy today and I very knowledgeable tech drove it and felt it immediately and also noticed a bit of it form a slow roll. He thinks it is NOT normal and perhaps may have something to do with clutch adaptations. He is running diagnostics and measuring data against another TTS fresh off the truck.

For $220K+ I surely don't want to be left embarrassed by a Prius-lol
Old 03-29-2014, 06:37 PM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is was a noticeable turbo lag on my 997.1 TT. Pfaff exhaust performance upgrade reduced that substantially? My TTS exhibits virtually no lag at all. In Sport or Sport Plus mode, the acceleration is explosive and still continues to amaze and exhilarate.

The lag being described by the OP indicates a defect.

Quick Reply: MASSIVE Turbo lag on takeoff