Sponsored by: Road Spy

991 Turbo S Spoiler Loss

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 08:00 PM
roger sf
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 991 Turbo S Spoiler Loss

Hi all. I've had my 991 TTS (dark blue over black) for about 3 weeks and the car is fabulous. Will get around to posting pictures and driving impressions later but have a question for other owners.

About 2 weeks ago I got a spoiler loss message when running in sport plus and exceeding 75 mph. The alert message stayed on until I'd drop below 50 and then the process would repeat.

The car has now been back to the dealer 2x and working with PCNA they have been unable to diagnose the problem. They advise that one other car in the US has the same unsolved problem and now a friend of mine reports the same intermittent issue on a 991 turbo cab. At this time my rear spoiler is deployed and the front retracted. I cannot move them with the console button.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so what has your dealer said?
Old 01-11-2014, 09:44 PM
roger sf
Instructor

Picture of dash message.

Name:  image-2566324159.jpg
Views: 8554
Size:  316.1 KB
Old 01-11-2014, 10:26 PM
NorthvilleStig
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Makes it sound like it fell off! Yikes.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:26 AM
Dan991TTS
4th Gear

I have not had this issue on my turbo S but I did have the TFT screen work intermittently. Dealer found no error codes, initialized the car again, but was unable to solve the problem. They sent a download from my car to Germany and about a week later called me to bring the car in for a complete software update provided by Porsche. Problem solved.

You might ask about the software update.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:53 AM
YellowPMan
Instructor

Originally Posted by roger sf
Hi all. I've had my 991 TTS (dark blue over black) for about 3 weeks and the car is fabulous. Will get around to posting pictures and driving impressions later but have a question for other owners.

About 2 weeks ago I got a spoiler loss message when running in sport plus and exceeding 75 mph. The alert message stayed on until I'd drop below 50 and then the process would repeat.

The car has now been back to the dealer 2x and working with PCNA they have been unable to diagnose the problem. They advise that one other car in the US has the same unsolved problem and now a friend of mine reports the same intermittent issue on a 991 turbo cab. At this time my rear spoiler is deployed and the front retracted. I cannot move them with the console button.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so what has your dealer said?
Your friend has a 991 turbo cab?
Old 03-29-2014, 07:24 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

My 991TT has thrown the same code twice in the last two days. However, on my car it seems to be the rear that's the problem. Both times I had the spoiler/airdam in fixed mode and the rear spoiler retracted on its own and threw the code.

Did you ever get a resolution with this issue on your car?
Old 03-29-2014, 08:40 PM
roger sf
Instructor

It took a while but they did sort it out. It needed a new rear spoiler drive plus some electronic fixes. The 991TT spoiler problems are common and my guess is that PCNA is now in good shape to diagnose and repair.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:59 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by roger sf
It took a while but they did sort it out. It needed a new rear spoiler drive plus some electronic fixes. The 991TT spoiler problems are common and my guess is that PCNA is now in good shape to diagnose and repair.
Cool. I guess I'll take mine in on Monday. Thanks for the quick reply!
Old 05-31-2014, 06:40 PM
pasd18
Intermediate

Same problem, while driving on highway about 75 mph. Error message would not resolve until I shut car off and re-started. Taking it in on Monday.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:30 AM
rjn1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is a software update for failing TFT screens and spoiler problems.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:19 AM
bigdogtex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rjn1
There is a software update for failing TFT screens and spoiler problems.
1709 Mikes on my TTS and the light keeps blinking on the spoiler button. Goes off if I hold down the button while spoiler comes down. But starts all over again next time I start the car. Hoping the software fix will deal with it. Taking it in tomorrow.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:10 PM
bigdogtex
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bigdogtex
1709 Mikes on my TTS and the light keeps blinking on the spoiler button. Goes off if I hold down the button while spoiler comes down. But starts all over again next time I start the car. Hoping the software fix will deal with it. Taking it in tomorrow.
So the outcome was - user error.... Interestingly however, mine had no open campaigns. After reading about a couple on this forum I was sure there would be something. I haven't looked at my manufacture date, but I bought the car in late April 2014, the day it came off the truck to the dealer. (The dealer's Porsche rep forgot to tell them they were getting the allocation.)
Old 07-17-2014, 04:19 PM
Badknees
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So the outcome was - user error.... Interestingly however, mine had no open campaigns. After reading about a couple on this forum I was sure there would be something. I haven't looked at my manufacture date, but I bought the car in late April 2014, the day it came off the truck to the dealer. (The dealer's Porsche rep forgot to tell them they were getting the allocation.)
What was the "user error"? Mine likes to continuously blink whenever I start the car. What am I doing wrong?
Old 09-18-2014, 08:18 PM
DragonRR
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same problem on the first day of ownership (TTS).

The dealer tried to just about everything with software and recalibrating the system. They tried rerouting air pipes on the front spoiler too which made no difference. In the end they switched out the air compressor unit with another car and the problem went away. The original unit later tested to be unable to reach normal operating temperature.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:23 AM
miketurner225
4th Gear

Hi all, I bought 991 Turbo S 1 month ago. Had spoiler loss error come up on dash last week. Porsche Colchester took the car in and replaced the rear spoiler mechanism. Got the car back last Thursday. Threw up the same error yesterday. Car going back in on Monday. Has anyone had any further issues and had the error eliminated? Thanks Mike

Quick Reply: 991 Turbo S Spoiler Loss