Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

RennList Turbo discussion, the slowest turbo discussions on the net.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 01:56 PM
hsummy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennteam
My car has finally arrived. Here are some photos (cell phone, not good quality, better quality shots will be posted next week or so). Car will be picked up this Saturday. Specs: Agate Grey Met., Black/Carrera Red Bi-Color interior. Seat Heating. Seat Ventilation. Adaptive Sport Seats Plus 18-way. Sunroof in Glass. Headlight Cleaning System Covers Painted in Exterior Color. Model Designation on Doors in Black. Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell. Steering Wheel Rim with Deviating Stitching (red). Porsche Crest on Headrests. PDK Gear Selector in Carbon. Cell Phone Connectivity Prep. Online Services (not available for US). Prep. Vehicle Tracking System (not available for US). Privacy Glass (tinted rear window and side windows rear).
more pics please. It is stunning! Just stunning!
Old 10-05-2013, 05:36 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 960 Likes on 428 Posts

Just got back from Zuffenhausen; took the factory tour; I saw a lot of Turbos and they look fantastic. On the assembly line it seems like a ton of these are being made in relation to other variants. Amazing looking vehicle. Saw several cruising the autobahns too, although they were moving quite fast!
Old 10-06-2013, 05:30 AM
Rennteam
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Today I picked up my 991 Turbo S and I cannot hide the fact that I was very excited.

I arrived at 9.30 am at my dealer and there was some strange looking man on a bicycle, waiting to get in too. At first, I thought this is just another client who wanted to look at cars but I soon learned that this guy, on the bicycle, had actually ordered a 991 Turbo S too (for late October delivery) and that the dealer called him, so he could experience the car live at the dealeship. My car.

My son and me wanted to leave fast, the weather was rainy and we were afraid the rain would intensify but that guy who ordered a Turbo S too, just kept on talking and looking at the car and I couldn't actually be mad at him. I understood him very well, the car looks gorgeous.

Finally we were able to leave the dealership and the very first thing I noticed was...I felt at home. The typical 911 feel, nothing weird, nothing too comfy and nothing Panamera or GT-like. The typical 911 feel and due to the fact that I didn't order the Powersteering Plus, a very firm and direct steering feel, even at low speeds. I kind of started to understand why people hate the 991 steering: They were trying cars with the Powersteering Plus. There is no other explenation.

It was raining cats and dogs as you say in Britain, horrible weather but me and my son still enjoyed it. The car is fantastic, very nimble, very precise and very fast without a real effort. I was actually keeping the engine under 3000 rpm most of the time because the boost kicked in and the car jumped forward. At the beginning, I was driving mainly in auto mode but after aprox. 200 km, I started shifting manually. What a pleasure, no comparison to PDK on the 997 Turbo S. You just shift and the gear changes instantly, there is basically no delay you can feel. Downshifts or upshifts, same thing. Wonderful.

I was driving in Sport mode all the time, the throttle response is just better and I didn't want to use Sport Plus on a new car with new tires on streets covered in rain water. Good decision. In a tight curve, the rear came nicely and to my surprise, the PSM softly limited the drift without me really intervening, just keeping the throttle steady.

The Pirelli PZero tires proved to be wonderful on wet pavement, temperature was around 13°C and I could really feel the street, the water on the street and everything else. The steering really provides a lot of feedback and the tires seem to improve that. Unlike on the Panamera Turbo S, I never had a detached driving or steering feel, which allowed me to drive at pretty high speeds on wet pavement and I am not talking about straight line driving. We drove down a couple of nice country roads and the car behaved perfectly. No understeer at all, not even in the wet (maybe the AMS test driver didn't adjust the tire pressure, I don't know) but a very good steering precision and it does exactly what you tell the steering to do, sharp as a knife, very nice. Keep in mind that we were driving over 300 km in rain, so this is quite a statement from me.

On the Autobahn, the car is almost boring. The steering lacks any kind of nervousness but the direct feel is there, just without the shaking. It is difficult to describe. As if someone put some sort of damper between the street and the steering but without affecting the direct feel or the feel for the street and the state of the pavement. I could actually feel every hole, every irregularity of the street below the tires but without being annoyed.

The sound of the engine/exhaust is loud enough for my taste, the improvement is definitely substantial. The car sounds much nicer than the 997 Turbo S, especially at idle and at speeds over 3000 rpm. Most of the time, we were driving somewhere between 2000 and 3000 rpm, simply because the torque is huge and the car just pulls like crazy, even with little throttle operation. I'm not sure a sport exhaust would to this car any good, it is really loud. Loud enough to make you enjoy it but maybe not loud enough to show to others "here I come". I think that Porsche found the right setup for the 991 Turbo S, addressing at the same time the criticism of the past that the Turbo sounds like a vacuum cleaner. It doesn't anymore. People on the sidewalk were turning heads when I came from behind at rev figures below 3500 rpm, so the exhaust sound is not muted. I don't like however the "spitting" noise of the exhaust each time I release the throttle. It is a deep sounding "spitting" and it kind of sounds in the car as if you have a flat tire or as if someone is hitting the car with something from the outside. It can get very annoying. The "spitting" noise on the 991 PSE has a higher pitch, the low tone of the 991 Turbo S "spitting" is really an issue Porsche should address and I'm not kidding. It goes away when turning off Sport or Sport Plus mode but since I drove most of the time in Sport mode, well... Bottom line is: It sounds strange and it gets annoying after some while. Maybe Porsche can change the tone of the "spitting" sound, it needs to sound higher and more metallic, like on the 991 Carrera. If not possible, they should probably remove it completely.

After driving 300 km in rain, we finally had some dry streets too. I'm still breaking the car in, so no high speed reports but I can tell you that the car literally drives as if it would drive on rails, the precision of the steering is amazing, the chassis adds to the perfect setup and the car does exactly what you "tell" it to do with the steering and the throttle.

For the very first time, I also enjoyed manually shifting with PDK in a turbo charged 911. I hated Tiptronic (but it was fast...), so I kept it in auto mode most of the time and my testdrive with a 997 Turbo S was OK but PDK, especially the manual mode, sucked big time. So I understood those 997 Turbo S owners very well who just left the PDK in auto mode. Auto mode did everything better and the shifting wasn't really a pleasure. Now, things have changed. Auto mode of course is still very good but if you enjoy shifting manually, PDK is now for you. Shifting is fast, practically instantenous and it provides a lot of fun.

Another huge surprise was fuel consumption (as you can see on one of the photos): 12.8 l / 100 km. After the 400 km we did today, the average fuel consumption was 13.4 l / 100 km and I was driving most of the time in Sport mode and didn't really drive slow, just kept the engine below 4000 rpm. Very impressive for such a car. The fuel tank low level warning came pretty early, aprox. 15 l fuel was left when I filled the car up.

Before I start to bore you with my stories, here are some PROS and CONS (short).

PROS

- Very precise and direct steering feel (without Powersteering Plus!), very good feedback of street condition, even at lower speeds

- Engine doesn't seem to take a sweat, even a little throttle is enough to be fast with usual rev figures between 2000 and 3000 rpm in PDK auto mode (Sport mode)

- Engine/exhaust sound loud and sporty, I would put a big questionmark behind the need of a sport exhaust. Not as loud as PSE of course but I guess you need to drive the car to understand. I think a sport exhaust would actually ruin the experience, it is difficult to explain why.

- PDK is lightning fast, does everything perfect in auto mode and is even a lot of fun to drive in manual mode.

- In standard mode (no Sport or Sport Plus), the throttle feels a little bit slow but the PSM works so well that even on a rainy road, you can actually be pretty fast without taking a huge risk. The tires are the limit in this case and they do a pretty good job.

- Pirelli PZero tires very good on rainy roads, very good feedback, aquaplaning issues "announced" early, very good and effective braking setup in rain together with the PSM/ABS.

- LED front lights look very nice and provide a very good light.

- Fuel consumption: You can actually drive this car with 13-14 l / 100 km without getting the feeling of being slow.

- The "Online" feature of the PCM system allows me to listen to all the iPhone audio apps through BT audio. Example: Today I was listening to Sirius XM Radio in my 991 Turbo S. Nothing special? Well, I drive the car in Germany and there is no Sirius XM Satellite Radio reception in Germany. I just streamed the audio stream from the iPhone app over BT audio to my PCM system. Not sure if this is possible without the "Online" feature.

- Oil consumption: After 400 km, the level hasn't dropped a bit.

CONS

- Glass roof rattles from time to time on bad streets (probably needs some adjustment or whatever)

- Sport Plus mode activates Active Aerodynamics (front spoiler lip and rear wing) but it stays active (deployed) even at lower speeds or when you come to a stop. This can be a huge problem if you forget about it when you want to park your car or when you want to enter a parking garage which requires a higher ground clearance. Active Aerodynamics should retract both, the front lip and the wing at speeds under 20 kph. I get it, some people want to show off when cruising but this could be activated manually for example. I find it quite risky to allow Sport Plus to keep the front lip deployed at very low speeds.

- The exhaust sounds nice but the "spitting" noise is too dull and it gets annoying. It should have a higher pitch tone, like on the 991 PSE. The "spitting" on the 991 Turbo S exhaust sounds as if something is hitting your wheel arch with something. Very annoying in my opinion.

- Chassis could sit 10 or 20 mm lower than now, it looks a little bit too high from certain angles (car is still new, so there is a good chance it "settles" a little bit over time).

- You are always too fast in the car because everything feels so safe and stable.

Is the car what I expected? Yes and more. Especially the steering has surprised me a lot since I have driven Powersteering Plus equipped cars only. Yes, if you live in a big city and your wife drives your car too or you have a medical condition, get the Powersteering Plus. If not, stay away from it. This is how a Porsche 911 steering is supposed to feel alike.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:33 AM
Rennteam
Advanced

I cannot upload photos since the file limit is too low (under 200kB) and the photos have a size around 350kB each. Sorry but I don't have the time to resize them right now.

You can see them here if you want to (note for admin/mods: Sorry, I didn't want to post a link, so if this isn't OK, just delete it):
http://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread...ner/page1.html
Old 10-06-2013, 11:45 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Congrats RC! That car is beautiful.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:26 PM
Hugo Gunnarsen
Intermediate

Here is my build : http://www.porsche.com/microsite/por...e/?c=/PEUVCKT2

Since your car is very similar, I was hoping that you could answer a few questions / comment
prior to my freeze date, so I don't walk around for 3 months pondering if I picked the right
options or not.

First a few questions over your build, then a quick re-cap over the differences.

Agate Grey Met., Black/Carrera Red Bi-Color interior.
- This is the same combo as me.I could not find any pictures telling the full story
? Do you regret picking the combo? If you were to do it again, would you have gone
with Agate / Black instead? Is there any clash of the Agate/Red?
Seat Heating.
- Check
Seat Ventilation.
- Check
Adaptive Sport Seats Plus 18-way.
- Check
Sunroof in Glass.
- Check
! I originally picked this with Red Metalic, to get a nice all car two tone
then it also was very nice with white/black. At the end the red metalic was too orangy,
black too much upkeep (but beautify), and white a bit flat/boring.
Headlight Cleaning System Covers Painted in Exterior Color.
- Is this worth it on a dark car? It's such a small part ...
Model Designation on Doors in Black.
- I could not see this on your car, is it barly visible?
Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell.
- Check
Steering Wheel Rim with Deviating Stitching (red).
- Looks better in RL than the designer page. Any comment on jsut going without it?
Porsche Crest on Headrests.
- I did not pick these options (I know it's a Porsche
PDK Gear Selector in Carbon.
- How much is in CF? Is it just the two small coin shaped pieces on the sides?
Cell Phone Connectivity Prep.
- I did not get this, my iPhone had all the features I needed by default (checked it)
Online Services (not available for US).
- Is this similar to BMW SOS button? (well I guess I can't get it either way
Prep. Vehicle Tracking System (not available for US).
- Would this be the same as LowJack (which I will be getting)
Privacy Glass (tinted rear window and side windows rear).
- How dark did you go? I don't want to overdo this ... 30%?

Now to my options :

Burmester® High-End Infotainment Package
- I love my Logic7 in my M3, and want a good stereo, seems like it's worth
the $ over the Bose ... but never really compared this
Power Folding Wing Mirrors
- I use this all the time on my M3, and it's a nice feature as my doors are long, so I park
close to the car on my right (and fold the mirrors after).
? Did you not pick this due to the look of the mirrors? (I guess I should take a look in RL
of the differences)
ParkAssist (Front and Rear) incl. Reversing Camera
- Don't think I can park a car without this any longer ... did look at this as a novelty
when I got my M3, but now I depend on it when backing out in parking lots.
Porsche Entry & Drive
- Except no push-button-start, I find this a nice feature (overpriced, but nice)
Power Steering Plus
- Really on the fence on this one ... did try it and it's seamless transition, but not sure
how heavy it would be without it. Seems like most car come with it, and dealer (which also
racing his car) claim he don't have any issue with this. The internet seems split on this one.
Smoking Package
- I realized I would just use this for coins, and with the lid I can still fit a few coins, but
gives a most seamless look. I was also hoping that I could remove this later if I really want to.
Light Design Package
- Not 100% sure what this add, but I do have a ambient light in my M3 over the speakers / arm rests
which looks very nice. Guess this is a taste option, and not really functional.
Adaptive Cruise Control incl. Porsche Active Safe (PAS)
- One item I was unable to get in my M3, and something I always wanted to have. Not sure how invasive
the PAS would be. I guess it won't fully stop my car in case of car in front hit his breakes, like an
S class would?
Extended Interior Package, Dashboard Trim in Leather
- Looks like you have this as well, guess EU combine some options. This was what sold me on the two-tone
getting that red stiching on the dash, and removal of most plast items. Adds quite a bit to the luxury
feel of the car.
Extended Interior Package, Sport Seats Plus Backrests in Leather
- Did you get this? Is it worth it over the basic hard shell back?I do not expect any to sit in the back
but again that red stitching looked nice in the builder.
Extended Interior Package, Door Panel in Leather
- Looks like you have this as well ... See otherExtended Interior reasons ... Was this the same observation
for you? To get the full look?
Door-Sill Guards in Carbon Fiber, Illuminated
- Most likely the silliest option I have, but since I'm going with CF interior, I wanted this to be CF as
well (even if I skipped the PDK piece, and steering wheel). A $1275 option I will see 3sec / day ...
Voice Control
- For nav to be useful I assumed I would need this option. Did not try it out, but just assuming it will
work for navigation as well. Not much information on the net on this one.

So my final quesion is (and I hope you will be truthful here - Did you regret any of your options / color
selections? Was it as nice in real life as you expected (or better?).

I have 1 more week before I need to nail this down, and I'm still on the fence here.

White - Black : Safe but boring?
White - Black/Red : Should be safe, but white outside seems to make the car lose it's curves
Black - Black : Classic, beautiful, but lot of upkeep
Black - Black/Red : Bit more spice inside
Agate - Black : Safe, but too similar to my current M3 (Gray/Black/Aluminum)
Agate - Black/Red * This is my current option
Red - Black : Drawing too much attention?
Red - Black/Red : Might be a red-red color clash here as well
Blue - Black/Gray : More luxurious, less sporty

(at least I was able to remove the other options And I removed my orginal Red Metalic - Black/Red (awesome
look on the design page, would be horrible in real life ... I think).

Thanks a lot for any feedback here ... and I'm soon to be another Porsche owner (one car one must have if one
care about cars (the 458 seemed too flashy for me / not sure about it's maintenance cost / durability)
Old 02-09-2014, 06:02 PM
Hugo Gunnarsen
Intermediate

As soon as I pick up my 991 Turbo S, and drive it through europe I will post my review of the car. Pro/Con etc. I do like these forums as people seems to be very helpful, very little fanboizms, respect for other cars/brands/likes/dislikes.

Here are a few of my observations during test drive. I'm also comparing with my M3 E92 which I have had for 5 years, and love driving.

991 Turbo (I did not try the Turbo S ... but assume they would be very similar)

Turbo Lag
- Yes there are a bit spooling, but it's not 'bad'. I'm coming from a car with instant throttle, so I'm a bit
spoiled here. I also tried the M6, which I loved the interior and tech of, but that 0.5s from hitting the
gas to the car started to move threw me off. The 991 T seems to be much better, or at least the
excitement of driving a 911 overcame my reservations.
Compared to the 997 TS (which I also drove), the turbo lag is next to nothing. The 997 was way
slower than my M3 from 0-35mph from standstill (no launch), and then when it hit ~4500 rpm it
took off like a rocket. Not what you want when you cruise in the mountains and need burst of power
out of curves, going all over the rev range.
I finally came to the conclusion that all exciting cars in the future will be Turbo, so I went for it. I was
going to try the M4 first ... but it would be too similar to my current M3, and perhaps something I
will do later if I feel the 991 is too heavy.

PDK
- Gear changes seems to be very fast and smooth. No jerking when doing sudden changes up/down
under throttle.
- I wish PDK had the same 'P' feature as the M3. That is no 'P', it's automated when you turn off the
engine, so I never have to touch the stick (except when reversing out, and going forward). I hope
that in future PDK looks more like it. Basically BMW made the DCT operate very similar to a manual
(if they gated the gears it would be identical, and perhaps get some MT fanatics to come to the
other side). PDK looks and operate too much as an AT, which I think might turn some people off.
- DCT does not creap forward when you come to a stop. It will keep the car in neutral till you touch
the gas. I just need to get used to the PDK (AT feel), but at least it does not 'jerk' forward, and
creep very slowly, so not in danger of hitting car in front of me till I get used to this.

HUD
- Porsche need to get this rolling. What an amazing feature. Let you focus on the road, and quite a bit
helpful in the dark when you are trying to avoid animals and pay attention to the corners.

LCD location
- Too low, too far for eye/head to move to look at when driving. I do guess that the LCD in the
instrument cluster will help here a bit, and I don't really see another place for it in the car. HUD would
have helped here quite a bit.

Steering wheel
- Yes, paddles should turn with the wheel (sport wheel), but I just wish I could also get function keys
on the steering wheel, as well as the sweet look of the carbon fiber one at the same time. At the end
paddles won over look / multifunction ... but I will look for an after market here / hope that Porsche
will make a proper one. I guess the push-button gear might not be bad, but it just feel wrong to me.

Back seats
- I guess it's the side of the car / engine in the rear doing this, but yes they are 100% not usable.
< 5" with < 5" in passenger seat perhaps. I was physically not able to get in the back, after moving
the passenger seat as far forward as I could. Was just no room for my legs, and upper body was at
an 45 degree sidewise angle.
- M6 ? Yeah same issue, that one I even had sever issue even getting into the back. Too low roof, and
perhaps a bit more room than the 991, but not there.
- M3/M4 back seat totally useable ... something for M6/991 to look at how they do

Luggage Space
- Very limited, but after deciding I would not drive people to the airport in it, and carry bags when I'm
out on epic drives, I should be able to live with it. Two people ... better plan what to bring. Put the
camera in the trunk, and clothing in the rear. However compared with 2 seat / mid-engine, it's way
more space.

Seats
- For me I wish they were a bit wider, but given the cabin is very narrow there is not much here.
From the short drive I did, I think they would be good on long trips ... or I have a HUGE incentive to
lose some weight ...
- I will miss the seat extension in my M3, I use it all the time when I'm driving long trips (i.e.
2500miles / 4 days), but perhaps I can live without it.

Place for my phone
- Under the arm-rest there is a slot that I guess is intended for the handset option. Porsche please
build a pocket there / bracket that could fit my iPhone (or other phones). BMW have a solution I'm
ok with, even if it's not nice looking. So my phone is not being scratched.

Most missed features ... (aka please look into these as well Porsche)
- AC in the armrest to cool a can of soda. Using it all the time in the M3
- USB in the armrest. I can live with the glove box ...
- Push button start ... now I need to remember what the different position of the key mean
- Space in the rear (might have to grow another 4" before this will happen)
- Split rear seat for long items (M6 did not have this either / 991 ... cant have it)
- Automatic 'P' when turning off the engine
- PDK lever mimicking a MT6
- Real e-brake
- Higher mounted LCD screen
- HUD w speed, gear, rpm, turn-by-turn
- IR camera / warning if there are animals on the road (already hit 3 in my life)
- 360 camera / curb sensors (perhaps the front/rear parking will work ...)
- Exhaust flap (loved the sound in the Carrera, but sometime you also want quiet time)

More to come as I get some seat time / miles on my car, but all in all the pro is more than the con, and
there is a balance between Sports/GT/Luxury car, and some of this will push that boundary.

(Also each time I try to post, something time out, and I lose my message ... started to write it in
notepad first as it infuriates me to re-write it 3 times ... forums coders get at it)
Old 02-12-2014, 02:25 PM
JJ Cleghorne
Advanced

Love the grey/red combo.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:09 PM
zedosix
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Hugo, great write-up, but I pity your salesman!
Old 02-13-2014, 04:37 PM
jrt600
Intermediate

Amazing - Road & Track used launch control 50 times in a row on a 2014 TTS with no problems whatsoever (61 launches actually...guess they were having too much fun as original plan was to do 50 to celebrate the 911's 50th anniversary). 0-60 in 2.6 seconds.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...s-65-7-roa0314
Old 02-13-2014, 06:21 PM
zedosix
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Just incredible!!!! This is what I'm talking about. I was told though the black 911tts will be 1/10th quicker though!
Old 02-13-2014, 09:01 PM
NorthvilleStig
Instructor

Nice ... I guess they found their new slogan ... "Porsche: there is no limit!"

Quick Reply: RennList Turbo discussion, the slowest turbo discussions on the net.