991 Turbo -- what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 11:44 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Riz
This will keep older turbo prices up there especially 996 and 997 versions. This is a good thing for current owners.
I think that you are right about that!
Old 05-16-2013, 06:17 AM
NoPasaran
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
I was just wondering about the weight of the car. The car looks heavier...Do you know how much heavier this is over a 997TT coupe?
(I weighed my 2008GT2 and it weighed in at 3160; no passenger seat, no driver, but for the life of me I cannot remember how much fuel I had in it...)
991T is 1595kg
991T S is 1605kg

(997.1 T manual 1585kg)
Old 05-16-2013, 06:21 AM
NoPasaran
Racer

Originally Posted by TomTom77
Indeed! That's 165 kg more than the 991 GT3, which is already deemed heavy by 997 standards!

When comparing to that same GT3, the Turbo:
- is hardly faster to 100 km/h
- doesn't rev to 9k RPM
- won't sound as good
- no longer has a higher top speed
- has the up- and downshifting on the gearlever the wrong way around (again)
- doesn't look as good or as special (compared to Carreras)
- is almost 20k USD more expensive...

Complete no-brainer to me! GT3 it is!
Another thing. 0-100 7.5sek in GT3, 7.1sek in TurboS.
BUT, Turbo is a better allrounder than GT3.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:27 AM
NoPasaran
Racer

Originally Posted by phillipj
Jrusovich,

I have to agree with you compltetly.. Unfortunetly Porsche wants to attract a new audience and buyer. VW wants to double the amount of units sold. They will dilute the brand.. That is not good. Ferrari would never do that.. Neither would Loius Vuitton. I'm sure the car will be awesome.. But i also agree that for the first time I am looking outside Porsche as well.

I told my friend that if I see a new turbo with a young asian girl driving it with stuffed animals in the back window that will be the last straw.

I'm looking forward to the new entry level McLaren due out soon. I have been driving an MP4 12C (the owner of my company has one) and it's an absolutely amazing car.. I want one but can't swing the price.

I love my 997 TT. It's the best car I have ever had.. But like you said.. It may be time to move on...

The interior in the new 991 makes me want to take a nap.....That is not what a porsche looks liike..It's what a BMW or Mercedes looks like.. Blah....
The brand is already diluted. Cayennes, Panameras, Cayman that drives better than 911, and, of course, thousands upon thousands of 911s produced each year, which all look very similar, not exotics anymore, but with exotics prices and huge depreciation due to the volume sold. Ferrari actually said they want to DECREASE number of cars sold, to keep up the exclusivity. Porsche would never do that, they want to sell as many as possible, it is cold hard cash for those calculating Germans. Precision, that is what AP likes, not feelings/emotions.

Look at those AMG-style exhaust. O_O That was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the rear of the new Turbo. And that ridiculously long badge on the rear, do you really need to write Porsche 911 Turbo S to make people recognise it?

Did you see the presentation video from Moscow? Those chicks in the Turbo - that is the targeted clientele, photomodel girls of rich old dudes.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:37 AM
NoPasaran
Racer

Originally Posted by Hussain
It's understandable to think that way, even when I drove the 997.2 TTS I missed my 997.1 MT, but I think Porsche realizes this and have made it rewarding somehow perhaps in an alternative way.
yep, they added PDK, rear-wheel steering and electromechanical steering. In next installment of 911 Turbo they will ditch analogue instruments and put a big monitor instead, a-la-SClasse.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:38 AM
NoPasaran
Racer

Originally Posted by Riz
This will keep older turbo prices up there especially 996 and 997 versions. This is a good thing for current owners.
No way, not if you drive them more than 50 miles a year!
There were tens of thousands of 997 Turbos produced, there is no exclusivity.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:22 PM
Hussain
Advanced

Originally Posted by NoPasaran
The brand is already diluted. Cayennes, Panameras, Cayman that drives better than 911, and, of course, thousands upon thousands of 911s produced each year, which all look very similar, not exotics anymore, but with exotics prices and huge depreciation due to the volume sold. Ferrari actually said they want to DECREASE number of cars sold, to keep up the exclusivity. Porsche would never do that, they want to sell as many as possible, it is cold hard cash for those calculating Germans. Precision, that is what AP likes, not feelings/emotions.

Look at those AMG-style exhaust. O_O That was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the rear of the new Turbo. And that ridiculously long badge on the rear, do you really need to write Porsche 911 Turbo S to make people recognise it?

Did you see the presentation video from Moscow? Those chicks in the Turbo - that is the targeted clientele, photomodel girls of rich old dudes.

http://youtu.be/mSK66K1VWY0
What do you propose as an alternative that you can drive 15k miles a year, that's as quick if not quicker, and is on a similar scale of offerings as the turbo?
Old 05-17-2013, 11:44 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

What do you propose as an alternative that you can drive 15k miles a year, that's as quick if not quicker, and is on a similar scale of offerings as the turbo?
That is really a good question! A friend of mine is toying with the idea of the new E63AMG wagon since they now come with AWD. He can haul crap in it, and they are pobably just as cushy as the new turbo, and they even share tail pipes!

But I think that Porsche price creep is pushing some folks elsewhere...

Last edited by Igooz; 05-17-2013 at 11:47 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-18-2013, 01:23 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default funny

http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20130...bos-true-price
Old 05-18-2013, 12:27 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NoPasaran
Originally Posted by Riz
No way, not if you drive them more than 50 miles a year!
There were tens of thousands of 997 Turbos produced, there is no exclusivity.
Not exactly true, I think the 997.1 tt 6mt values will be helped, not the 996, the red headed stepchild of Porsches.
The 997tt production numbers were high, but tens of thousands is an exaggeration. I'd be surprised if more than 5000 997.1tt were made for the us market 2007/09.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:38 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

2013 Nissan GTR. Its 60k cheaper, just as reliable, wont depreciate too bad and quicker than the turbo and handles at least as well....
Old 05-20-2013, 12:32 PM
Hussain
Advanced

Originally Posted by Macca
2013 Nissan GTR. Its 60k cheaper, just as reliable, wont depreciate too bad and quicker than the turbo and handles at least as well....
I know this is subjective, but I do not like the styling.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:35 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

That is a good one!! I guess Porsche is still selling the cars or leasing them out...so someone is getting these cars!
Old 05-20-2013, 04:10 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Subject: 2014 GT-R with TrackPack sets new Track Record of 1:19.55 at Willow Springs

The new 991 Turbo has some really tough, almost half-priced, competition in the Nissan GT-R with Track Pack.
Randy Pobst just broke its previous 2011 Willow Springs record and setting a new record of 1:19.55.
See Competition's Willow Springs Lap Times and Video below:

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/willow...of_willow.html
Old 05-20-2013, 04:35 PM
spaceman_spiff
Instructor

Default re: GTR

My brother had one for over a year. The fit and finish of it was of poor quality. There was too much plastic and the interior was reminiscent of a corvette. Performance wise it was great! However after 26,000 miles (the first 10k from the original owner) it required a new clutch and transmission which were not covered under warranty. My brother never used launch control and it was never tracked. The dealer quoted roughly $20k to fix the car. After his experience, I would never reccomend these to anyone.

Quick Reply: 991 Turbo -- what do you think?