Coils, to change or Not to change

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2024, 05:35 PM
Foosh
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by PCA1983
Yes, do it!
Labor is free because they are already removing and replacing the plug coils to change the spark plugs.
And if you research the plug coil posts, you will see that when spark plugs are changed, a plug coil often fails in the next few weeks. Then you have an additional bill(s) to replace the plug coils.
I always replace my plug coils when I replace my spark plugs, without any regrets.
That's the first time I've heard the part in bold above. What's your definition of "often?"
Old 08-21-2024, 08:18 PM
GTsilverTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced my coils and plugs while I was swapping out my turbos. To me it was worth spending the extra $350 while I already had it apart. I also purchased them from Suncoast as mentioned above.
Old 08-22-2024, 11:09 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
That's the first time I've heard the part in bold above. What's your definition of "often?"
My definition means it has happened "often" enough that multiple cases have been mentioned here on Reenlist forums that I follow.
Old 08-22-2024, 11:14 AM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 854 Likes on 560 Posts

Ill be watching the price of the coils for the next few weeks and will most likely do it as it makes sense for the free labor. Knowing how much of a pain it is to get at them was my motivating factor

Last edited by B Russ; 08-22-2024 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-22-2024, 02:17 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,121 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by B Russ
Ill be watching the price of the coils for the next few weeks and will most likely do it as it makes sense for the free labor. Knowing how much of a pain it is to get at them was my motivating factor
If you buy a new set, install for free and not have a failure down the road you will feel awesome. If you skip it and have a misfire problem 16 months from now you will kick yourself.
Old 08-22-2024, 02:25 PM
Foosh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
If you buy a new set, install for free and not have a failure down the road you will feel awesome. If you skip it and have a misfire problem 16 months from now you will kick yourself.
Yep, and if you install new coils to replace your perfectly good, and young coils at $25K miles, then have a case of "infant mortality" on your new coils, you'll also kick yourself. Both your scenario and mine are low probability, "what if" events. If it's relatively young, and it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I recently changed my coils with a spark plug change at 47K miles, and there was absolutely no difference in engine performance. In other words, the original 47K 10-year old coils were in excellent condition. I also did it as a preventative maintenance measure, but much later in the car's life.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-22-2024 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-22-2024, 03:13 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,121 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yep, and if you install new coils to replace your perfectly good, and young coils at $25K miles, then have a case of "infant mortality" on your new coils, you'll also kick yourself. Both your scenario and mine are low probability, "what if" events. If it's relatively young, and it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I recently changed my coils with a spark plug change at 47K miles, and there was absolutely no difference in engine performance. In other words, the original 47K 10-year old coils were in excellent condition. I also did it as a preventative maintenance measure, but much later in the car's life.
How many Porsche coil infant mortality deaths have you seen or experienced ?
Old 08-22-2024, 03:15 PM
Foosh
Burning Brakes

Probably about the same number of coils damaged by removal you've seen, not many done by a professional. With amateur DIY, all bets are off.

As I said, both options are very low probability possibilities.

Last edited by Foosh; 08-22-2024 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-23-2024, 11:02 AM
Bluemax2
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 107 Posts

My wife had a 2015 Cayman S we bought it used with 26K miles. We did the plugs reasonably easy job on a NA motor. Less than 2K miles later we had some misfires. After that experience I decided for the cost it's not worth taking a chance on having a coil pack going bad especially on a TTS.

When I replaced my plugs the first time on the TTS I had the same thought. There fine. I really think it comes down how you use the car. If your a weekend cruiser that gets on it here and there then you can get 50K plus out of them. In my case where I have been doing 10 plus road racing events for the last three years and had 36K on the original coils it just makes sense to replace them.

Quick Reply: Coils, to change or Not to change