Sponsored by: Road Spy

Motec Powered 991.2 Turbo S!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2023 | 05:03 AM
DubaiPorsche
Instructor

Default Motec Powered 991.2 Turbo S!

Hey all,

Thought to share some good news for the .2 guys. We finally get a PnP Motec system like the .1 Turbos.

A few days ago we finished my car here in Dubai on the motec and wow was I impressed.

Car drives very close to stock, super smooth shifting, no jerkiness and really good idle. Oil pressure remains same as OEM ECU! The only downside ive noticed is the engine oil level sensor doesnt really work anymore.

Here are the results so far including a Dyno run at 32Psi with E70 fuel and 24Deg timing.

Below draggy is also essentially the same Map.

This is on stock heads and a 3.8 engine. Xona 6164 turbos, ByD intake manifold, boostlogic titanium exhaust. All the tuning and build was completed here by Faisal at Xperformance.
The following 6 users liked this post by DubaiPorsche:
fel1979 (12-04-2023), Nikolov (12-04-2023), Payam (12-04-2023), Pb Pedis (12-04-2023), Staff@WORLD (12-04-2023), TtimeS (12-04-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-04-2023 | 03:29 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Nice work Adam and Faisal getting that ByDesignXR to sing!

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com

Last edited by SamboTT@ByDesign; 12-04-2023 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-04-2023 | 11:33 PM
Payam
Instructor

That is insane, congrats brotha! Motec working on the 991.2 is a big step up.
Old 12-04-2023 | 11:39 PM
DubaiPorsche
Instructor

Originally Posted by Payam
That is insane, congrats brotha! Motec working on the 991.2 is a big step up.
thanks Payam

yea it works really well. Motec strikes again! Lol
Old 12-06-2023 | 11:48 PM
bigrpowr
Rennlist Member

congrats! that is nasty!
Old 12-07-2023 | 12:16 AM
DubaiPorsche
Instructor

Originally Posted by bigrpowr
congrats! that is nasty!
thanks bruvvv
Old 09-14-2024 | 02:04 AM
TurboSlipNot
Instructor

@DubaiPorsche - could you please elaborate a bit on your oil level sensor issues? When my car was on Cyvecs it was really bad - randomly reporting being low after initial warmup or giving me the dreaded low-oil error while driving. Since the Motec conversion it seems to be quite a bit better (i'm on a .1 - 2016) though i have gotten the low-oil error once while driving and after shut-down & startup it took < 1/4 litre to get it up to the prescribed level (1 tick below the line on the picture) which doesn't seem like a "low" oil condition to me. These motors do eat some oil but the lack of clear data (i'm an engineer, probably making the problem worse in my head) on how much it has left while its running is maddening . Faisal updated my kit over the last week, going to go pick it up in the morning but i'd love to get to the bottom of what's mis-reporting or mis-reading in the stack so we could drive confidently without a barrel of 15-50 in the frunk "just in case"
Old 09-14-2024 | 04:55 PM
Nikolov
Racer

Originally Posted by TurboSlipNot
@DubaiPorsche - could you please elaborate a bit on your oil level sensor issues? When my car was on Cyvecs it was really bad - randomly reporting being low after initial warmup or giving me the dreaded low-oil error while driving. Since the Motec conversion it seems to be quite a bit better (i'm on a .1 - 2016) though i have gotten the low-oil error once while driving and after shut-down & startup it took < 1/4 litre to get it up to the prescribed level (1 tick below the line on the picture) which doesn't seem like a "low" oil condition to me. These motors do eat some oil but the lack of clear data (i'm an engineer, probably making the problem worse in my head) on how much it has left while its running is maddening . Faisal updated my kit over the last week, going to go pick it up in the morning but i'd love to get to the bottom of what's mis-reporting or mis-reading in the stack so we could drive confidently without a barrel of 15-50 in the frunk "just in case"
Syvecs have a newer firmware that addresses that as well (doesn't measure while the car is in motion and doesn't measure if temps are below 72C), but I'm fairly sure both Motec and Syvecs don't measure the oil level as accurate as the OEM ECU. The problem with both Syvecs and Motec is that they measure the oil level (voltage from the sensor) in realtime, while the OEM ECU probably has some more complex logic implemented with average values from different measurements etc.
Old 09-14-2024 | 09:51 PM
TurboSlipNot
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nikolov
Syvecs have a newer firmware that addresses that as well (doesn't measure while the car is in motion and doesn't measure if temps are below 72C), but I'm fairly sure both Motec and Syvecs don't measure the oil level as accurate as the OEM ECU. The problem with both Syvecs and Motec is that they measure the oil level (voltage from the sensor) in realtime, while the OEM ECU probably has some more complex logic implemented with average values from different measurements etc.
Faisal's new maps are epic, like a whole new car after refresh. Normal automatic mode works 95% right, sport seems spot on, sport plus ... runs our the tach . Manual shifts are much better, downshifts are a lot faster and more crisp with very distinct sport and normal behaviors. Very confidence inspiring through the twisties
​​​​​​
Agreed re oil "level" - everything to do with oiling on the 9a1+ is "non trivial" (but clever as hell). Hopefully the aftermarket folks can figure out the magic formula at some point. Mildly creepy to not know

Last edited by TurboSlipNot; 09-14-2024 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-16-2024 | 08:32 AM
Nikolov
Racer

You'll know when the oil pressure starts dropping
Old 09-16-2024 | 09:32 AM
TurboSlipNot
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nikolov
You'll know when the oil pressure starts dropping
I've heard variations of this to include "when holes start appearing in the helo around you or when you get shot" (not being able to hear incoming ground fire is both a blissful sort of ignorance and rather unsettling) - figure both situations are best avoided unless critically necessary and there should never be a critical necessity to run such a marvelous motor dry :-p. I wonder if there's a way to log the various sensor IOs directly into a separate buffer for analysis - would obviously be a lot more useful if i could compare apples to apples with the pre-processed and post-processed Porsche IOs but that seems a bit close to reversing for comfort. Sufficient duration and variance in the trend data should yield enough points to model an approximation presumably similar to their own though.

Quick Reply: Motec Powered 991.2 Turbo S!