Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Activating Android Auto in 991

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2022 | 12:23 PM
IainC
Track Day

Originally Posted by Kyrosnick
Tempting, but got an Ottocast and been using wireless android auto for past week. Zero issues so far. $110 off amazon, and works great. Until it dies, I'll probably just keep doing that.
That's where I started, but got irritated at frequent disconnects when wired. And wireless AA hozed my phone battery in about 30min. Shame I discovered the free solution after buying the device :-)
The following users liked this post:
TheTrackDude (06-08-2024)
Old 07-15-2022 | 12:46 PM
Kyrosnick
Racer

Originally Posted by IainC
That's where I started, but got irritated at frequent disconnects when wired. And wireless AA hozed my phone battery in about 30min. Shame I discovered the free solution after buying the device :-)
It was on sale for $110 and a firmware update fixed all the disconnect issues. Works great now. No issues on battery life, but on the 4+ hour drive I did I also just plugged phone into the glove box to charge.
Old 07-16-2022 | 01:53 PM
DarienA
Instructor

Couldn't get this to work today. Attached is a screenshot of my software version and another of the various similar but not quite exact files in the patches folder. Which folder should I be copying to the "patches" subfolder?

Old 07-16-2022 | 04:05 PM
IainC
Track Day

None of the patch files you show in the screenshot are the correct ones- you need MHI2_US_POG11_P3300_MU0809_PATCH, which is included in the zip/7z file you can download from the MIB site. Copy the parent directory with the same name to the patches directory of the MIB file on your SD card. If you can't find the right file, I can send it to you, just PM me

Last edited by IainC; 07-16-2022 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-16-2022 | 05:00 PM
DarienA
Instructor

None of the patch files you show in the screenshot are the correct ones- you need MHI2_US_POG11_P3300_MU0809_PATCH, which is included in the zip/7z file you can download from the MIB site. Copy the parent directory with the same name to the patches directory of the MIB file on your SD card. If you can't find the right file, I can send it to you, just PM me
Those were from the patches.7z file from the site downloaded today but I'll go check again.

edit: so strange I could not find that folder in the 7z file, I can see it now.

Last edited by DarienA; 07-16-2022 at 05:13 PM. Reason: update
Old 07-17-2022 | 10:57 PM
DarienA
Instructor

Even though the flash seemed to have worked AA would not come up. As preparation after reading this thread I had gone ahead and purchase an otterbox which arrived today. Worked without issue so I guess I'll stick with that for now.
Old 10-08-2022 | 02:05 AM
fontana302
Intermediate

Has anyone checked to see that Fix SVM Error actually clears the error?

Backup Log says:
RCC-svm---->
Fix SVM Error (Note: The process can take some minutes...)
extract build version...
SvmInfo - Compressing... /net/rcc/mnt/efs-persist/SWDL/Log/SvmInfo.bin CfgAckRand - Uncompressing...
/net/rcc/mnt/efs-persist/SWDL/Log/CfgAckRand.z to /net/rcc/mnt/efs-persist/SWDL/Log/CfgAckRand.bin

Key: 4136 - CHKSum: 88E4

CfgAck - Compressing... /net/rcc/mnt/efs-persist/SWDL/Log/CfgAck.bin Wait for DSI to connect ...
DSI Connected role1.DSIE2PAccess
responseWriteE2P address 0x3f0 status 0 len 0x03
0x3f0 00 00 01
DSI Disconnected
clear SVM done!

Reboot Unit...

Everying works fine on the PCM, but when I scan using Launch X431 I get:

Diagnostic path: Automatically Search > Boxster(982) > System Selection > PCM/CDR (Communication
Management/Cd Radio)
Diagnostic Result
B201A00 PCM - software update not confirmed (000613)

I have run the Fix SVM Error a couple of times & NO luck clearing it permanently.
Old 10-08-2022 | 01:06 PM
IainC
Track Day

The fix SVM should run automatically and once when you install the patch, so this one's a bit curious. Assume everything has installed OK and you can access GEM, android auto etc? My only other suggestion is to roll back to your original software (you did do a backup didn't you :-)), update your PCM software to the latest version (if it isn't already) and patch again with a new patch file,

I'm also assuming you're using the latest version of MIB (with the patched Android Auto icon) and the very latest patch files - sorry if this is a stupid question as it sounds like you know what you're doing, but some of the older versions of MIB and patches were flakey at best on the SVM patch.

Edit: just re-read your post. If everything on the PCM works OK, I would leave alone. As the firmware is patched, I would not be surprised if a scan tool picks up some anomalies

Last edited by IainC; 10-08-2022 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-08-2022 | 02:04 PM
510michael
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kyrosnick
Tempting, but got an Ottocast and been using wireless android auto for past week. Zero issues so far. $110 off amazon, and works great. Until it dies, I'll probably just keep doing that.
What year is your car ? I have a 2014 Turbo, and would like to know if this will work for me as well?
Thanks
Old 10-31-2022 | 01:57 PM
alefort
Intermediate

I don't know if others have had the same issue, but for the life of me, after successfully patching the MIB (MHI2), I cannot find the Navigation Update menu option to do the maps update. Has this been an issue for anyone else?
Old 11-01-2022 | 10:41 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 510michael
What year is your car ? I have a 2014 Turbo, and would like to know if this will work for me as well?
Thanks
No it will not, you should have PCM 3.1 in your car, this thread is talking about PCM 4 which came out for the 2017 models.

I have a 2016 Macan with PCM 3.1 and will be installing this to add AA/CP to this vehicle, should be done within a week...

Carlinkit Wireless Apple Carplay Kit For Porsche/Panamera/Cayenne/Macan/Boxster911 718 PCM 3.1 (xyingly.com)
Old 11-01-2022 | 11:29 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alefort
I don't know if others have had the same issue, but for the life of me, after successfully patching the MIB (MHI2), I cannot find the Navigation Update menu option to do the maps update. Has this been an issue for anyone else?
Very easy and takes about 30 minutes, try these steps: Begin map file on the SD card, in slot 1 (no need for MIB). Just use the following from the PCM's own menu, Nav->Opt->Set Nav-> Update map.
Old 11-01-2022 | 11:35 AM
IainC
Track Day

Originally Posted by Westcoast
Very easy and takes about 30 minutes, try these steps: Begin map file on the SD card, in slot 1 (no need for MIB). Just use the following from the PCM's own menu, Nav->Opt->Set Nav-> Update map.
I'd understood that there was a map update counter which allowed 3 (I think) updates before locking out any further ones (presumably unless you pay a main dealer to reset the counter). This might be an urban myth, but MIB will at least unlock this to unlimited updates. Be interesting to see if anyone's experience suggest that this is actually the case...
Old 11-01-2022 | 11:42 AM
Westcoast
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I'd understood that there was a map update counter which allowed 3 (I think) updates before locking out any further ones (presumably unless you pay a main dealer to reset the counter). This might be an urban myth, but MIB will at least unlock this to unlimited updates. Be interesting to see if anyone's experience suggest that this is actually the case...
I have never heard of a map counter, in fact in the OEM literature I saw it said, 'lifetime map updates', even so with the unit enabled with MIB it should be fine to upgrade it now for @alefort

Old 11-01-2022 | 10:26 PM
H2Owon
Racer

@510michael The "map counter" is for the newer PCM (991.2) with over the air updates. Each year it allows three over-the-air updates with your annual subscription. After that, you have to go to the dealer for updates, or load the Audi map update on an SD and update. The over the air updates divide North America into states or groups of states. Three updates only allow a portion of North America. The SD approach gives you US, Canada, and Mexico in one pass. I don't know of a way to update the 991.1 maps without going to the dealer. It requires buying a Porsche license key which they plug into a PIWIS and then load the updated maps.

Quick Reply: Activating Android Auto in 991