Sponsored by: Road Spy

Video of 2018 TTS with GMG Catted Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 02:57 PM
RadarP3C
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
Correct. I-80 the freeway to get from Bay Area to North Lake Tahoe opened on Tuesday afternoon (East bound) and there was no way to get there (safely or even at all) for a few days before. You need to look at CHP or Cal Trans as Google etc., will try and get u there. Below is our house up there on Tuesday this week. My sister in law went as the freeway opened up - single file in some places. Gas stations ran out of gas etc. We bailed as we need to be here for 12/31. Ski resorts had to dig out. Previous record for Dec was 179 inches in 1970 - at 200+ and counting..

Wow!
Old 12-30-2021, 05:32 PM
2018911TTS
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by ottodawg
Sounds good! Any drone at highway speed?
At highway speeds in normal mode there isn't any drone. In normal mode the car is pretty quiet all around and even at WOT I think it's no noisier than my 2017 Acura NSX which had a factory exhaust and which people complained about being too quiet. In Sport mode the car gets much louder and the transmission puts you in a lower gear than you would be if you were in normal mode so that's where you notice some drone but it's not bad even running at the higher rpms because you are in a lower gear than normal. In Sport plus mode I feel the car gets quieter than in Sport mode and the burbles and pops are diminished but the trans calibration puts you in yet a lower gear so you are more ready to "pounce" quickly if you need to so you are running at higher rpms. When I am cruising on the highway I am often in normal mode in LA as the freeways are crowded and there little chance of being able to do anything exciting.

This weekend when the weather has cleared up I'll try to shoot some video from inside the car in the various modes and in different scenarios to give people a better feel for how the GMG exhaust works with the set up I have on the car.

Last edited by 2018911TTS; 12-30-2021 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-30-2021, 07:11 PM
RadarP3C
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 251 Posts

Same here. Normal mode; almost no drone at all. This really surprised me. Sport mode; a little drone while cruising in the 2100 to 2400 (if I remember right) rpm range. And becomes less as the rpm's increase. Like you said, keep it in a higher rpm range to quiet the drone and you're ready to "pounce" while in traffic. Sport plus; less drone than Sport. Even through I'm running headers, I don't think headers changes the drone factor. I expected more drone and am pleasantly surprised by the low drone. The ultimate test was the first time my wife was in the car after the install. She is very "drone sensitive" and would let me know it with our prior cars with a performance exhaust. She hasn't really complained so far. Don't know if she's just given up on complaining, tho. LOL
Old 12-31-2021, 09:18 AM
yell03
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by 2018911TTS
Yes, I can shoot a video with the sound as heard from inside the car once the rain here stops and it dries up. We have had heavy rain in the LA area since yesterday but things should clear up this weekend. Do you want the windows up or down for this?
Might as well do windows up, I heard how nice it sounds outside already.
It is so cold here I am driving with my windows up, it will be a nice comparison.

Thanks for doing this!!!!
Old 12-31-2021, 11:27 AM
Ryan Day
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

This is a casual drive around my neighborhood to give you an idea of how my car exhaust sounds - it's a GMG 200 cel catted exhaust and I do have a BMC air filter. The drive was done in Sport mode which gives the car more burbles on deceleration. Sorry but due to the rainy weather here in LA and being in a neighborhood I couldn't do any WOT recording. My daughter got me a Go Pro for Christmas and am just now trying it out and had to figure out how to get a decent exhaust sound recording with it. But it gives you a pretty good idea of how the exhaust performs and sounds. The sound quality as played on my laptop with the built in speaker sounds more tinny and not quite as deep as the exhaust sounds in person. I suppose that with better speakers it would sound more like the real thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAiRq794tGM
Have the exact same setup on a 2017. It's awesome.
Old 12-31-2021, 11:07 PM
2018911TTS
Rennlist Member

Here is a video I shot today with the windows completely up. I think the car is pretty well insulated and the exhaust isn't too loud on the inside if you don't want it to be and the drone is at acceptable levels for me. There is footage with both normal and sport modes and on the highway as well as side streets. I think this gives you a fairly accurate idea of how the car sounds while driving it.

Last edited by 2018911TTS; 12-31-2021 at 11:08 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 2018911TTS:
CodyzWorld (12-31-2021), MovingChicane (01-19-2022)
Old 12-31-2021, 11:39 PM
CodyzWorld
Burning Brakes

Received 382 Likes on 248 Posts

I love how you accelerated onto the freeway and the little Fiat freaked out. LOL!
The following 2 users liked this post by CodyzWorld:
2018911TTS (01-01-2022), RadarP3C (01-01-2022)
Old 01-01-2022, 08:45 AM
yell03
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 153 Posts

Sounds great. I listened to a vid of mine to compare, at low speed both sound good, but WOT the high flow cats really make yours sound better, with mine you hear much more Turbo Whoosh than exhaust at WOT.
Old 01-01-2022, 12:06 PM
2018911TTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yell03
Sounds great. I listened to a vid of mine to compare, at low speed both sound good, but WOT the high flow cats really make yours sound better, with mine you hear much more Turbo Whoosh than exhaust at WOT.
Thank you for the comparison. I'm guessing that if the high flow cats make the the car sound better at WOT then adding the Kline headers will make that even better.
Old 01-01-2022, 01:40 PM
1Defense
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

This is a casual drive around my neighborhood to give you an idea of how my car exhaust sounds - it's a GMG 200 cel catted exhaust and I do have a BMC air filter. The drive was done in Sport mode which gives the car more burbles on deceleration. Sorry but due to the rainy weather here in LA and being in a neighborhood I couldn't do any WOT recording. My daughter got me a Go Pro for Christmas and am just now trying it out and had to figure out how to get a decent exhaust sound recording with it. But it gives you a pretty good idea of how the exhaust performs and sounds. The sound quality as played on my laptop with the built in speaker sounds more tinny and not quite as deep as the exhaust sounds in person. I suppose that with better speakers it would sound more like the real thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAiRq794tGM
Thank for sharing! I had previously installed the BMC filter and recently installed the Soul 3inch x-pipe with the 200 cell cats on mine and love it! What size exhaust is the GMG? Definitely makes you feel the car more especially up top. Again, appreciate the vids
Old 01-01-2022, 01:55 PM
2018911TTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1Defense
Thank for sharing! I had previously installed the BMC filter and recently installed the Soul 3inch x-pipe with the 200 cell cats on mine and love it! What size exhaust is the GMG? Definitely makes you feel the car more especially up top. Again, appreciate the vids
This is the exhaust system my car has:

https://shop.gmgracing.com/collectio...ry-tip-adapter

It measures at 3 inches but of course the factory manifolds leading into the system are of a smaller diameter.
Old 01-01-2022, 02:54 PM
1Defense
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

It measures at 3 inches but of course the factory manifolds leading into the system are of a smaller diameter.
Got it, thanks
Old 01-01-2022, 03:15 PM
MovingChicane
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

First, thank you for posting! Couldn't figure out if you are on the Valley side of the hill or up off Sunset somewhere. LOL!.

Secondly, just wondering what you (and everyone else in CA on this forum) are thinking regarding the tune and exhaust components given our ever-changing CA smog laws (computer tunes detectable, visual inspection of muffler/exhaust system, etc., coming). I realize we are 2-3-4 years away from any practical implementation (my opinion), but this stuff ain't cheap ($7k-10K for a Europipe for example) and I hate to throw it all away if I decide to keep the car long-term. Comments?

Last edited by MovingChicane; 01-01-2022 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-01-2022, 04:02 PM
2018911TTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MovingChicane
First, thank you for posting! Couldn't figure out if you are on the Valley side of the hill or up off Sunset somewhere. LOL!.

Secondly, just wondering what you (and everyone else in CA on this forum) are thinking regarding the tune and exhaust components given our ever-changing CA smog laws (computer tunes detectable, visual inspection of muffler/exhaust system, etc., coming). I realize we are 2-3-4 years away from any practical implementation (my opinion), but this stuff ain't cheap ($7k-10K for a Europipe for example) and I hate to through it all away if I decide to keep the car long-term. Comments?
I am in the hills of Encino - you can get to my place from 8 different ways but the Valley Vista exit from the 405 or Haskell off the 101 are the main freeway exits and then you can come in from Mullholland Drive. It appears very lush here with lots of trees and greenery but honestly that's just because of people having the money to irrigate lol. It's honestly still a semi-desert. A lot of celebrities live in this neighborhood - the Jackson family, Joe Jonas and Sophie Turner , someone from Nirvana, Selena Gomez. Tom Petty used to live here too. I don't keep up with that stuff but my daughters tell me what's up. Some of the homes are over $25 million - ridiculous in my mind. Think of all the cars you could own for that price!! A shack is close to $2 million.

Of course I am nervous about the CA smog law stuff. That's why I went with the JB4. On the NSX forum people knew of a couple of smog testing places that would make sure your car could pass with a tune but for some extra $ under the table and from what I understand it involved a fair amount of work.

I've been able to deal with a dealer in AZ where I got my 2017 NSX from and have my 992 Turbo S allocation. Trading a car in out of state where they have less stringent rules may be an option when the time comes around.
The following users liked this post:
MovingChicane (01-01-2022)
Old 01-01-2022, 05:56 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 799 Likes on 548 Posts

Nice vid - You car sounds very similar to mine. I drive through your area often. I live on West side but play golf in Tarzana and really close friends live there too. Been through that tunnel many many times as I cut through Sepulveda to Mulholland to Calneva and through Encino to avoid the 405/101 interchange.

Quick Reply: Video of 2018 TTS with GMG Catted Exhaust