Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Video of 2018 TTS with GMG Catted Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2021 | 03:25 PM
2018911TTS
Rennlist Member

Default Video of 2018 TTS with GMG Catted Exhaust

This is a casual drive around my neighborhood to give you an idea of how my car exhaust sounds - it's a GMG 200 cel catted exhaust and I do have a BMC air filter. The drive was done in Sport mode which gives the car more burbles on deceleration. Sorry but due to the rainy weather here in LA and being in a neighborhood I couldn't do any WOT recording. My daughter got me a Go Pro for Christmas and am just now trying it out and had to figure out how to get a decent exhaust sound recording with it. But it gives you a pretty good idea of how the exhaust performs and sounds. The sound quality as played on my laptop with the built in speaker sounds more tinny and not quite as deep as the exhaust sounds in person. I suppose that with better speakers it would sound more like the real thing.

The following users liked this post:
gmgracing (12-30-2021)
Old 12-29-2021 | 04:12 PM
CodyzWorld
Burning Brakes

You're such a rock star. sounds wonderful.

Can't wait to get a ride.
Old 12-29-2021 | 04:52 PM
Zac89
Instructor

Wow....really nice sound!
Old 12-29-2021 | 06:30 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Sounds very good. I bet you smile each time you start it up !
Old 12-29-2021 | 06:51 PM
RadarP3C
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Navy

Sounds good! I installed a 3 inch 200 cat GMG exhaust including Kline headers just a couple of weeks ago and love it. I may be wrong, but it does not sound like you have headers. I think you'd really enjoy it more with headers also.

Last edited by RadarP3C; 12-29-2021 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-29-2021 | 09:05 PM
2018911TTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CodyzWorld
You're such a rock star. sounds wonderful.

Can't wait to get a ride.
Hopefully next week we have some rain free days and we can sync our schedules and drive each others cars I'm very curious how yours sounds with a different exhaust and runs on a tune versus my JB4.
CodyzWorld (12-29-2021)
Old 12-29-2021 | 09:06 PM
2018911TTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zac89
Wow....really nice sound!
Thank you. I do like how it sounds. I think it sounds better in person but I did my best to try to replicate the sound in the video.
Old 12-29-2021 | 09:07 PM
2018911TTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
Sounds very good. I bet you smile each time you start it up !
Thank you! And yes, I am one of those people whop has no problem getting up early when I know there's a nice car waiting for me to drive. Lol.
Old 12-29-2021 | 09:09 PM
2018911TTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RadarP3C
Sounds good! I installed a 3 inch 200 cat GMG exhaust including Kline headers just a couple of weeks ago and love it. I may be wrong, but it does not sound like you have headers. I think you'd really enjoy it more with headers also.
Yes, I am really curious as to how your car sounds with the headers. What do you think the sound differences are between my set up without headers and yours?
Old 12-29-2021 | 10:25 PM
yell03
Rennlist Member

Sounds great.
Where did you have the GoPro mounted?
Old 12-29-2021 | 10:52 PM
2018911TTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yell03
Sounds great.
Where did you have the GoPro mounted?
I mounted the GoPro on the rear windshield. Then I connected a small external microphone with a wind sock on it (the size of a quarter) just above the rear bumper. The standard microphone in the GoPro catches way too much wind noise. I learned all this the hard way - so you need an adaptor from GoPro to be able to connect an external mic. Its a 3.5 mm adaptor that you have to get from GoPro. Then GoPros only accept certain 2 band prongs in that adaptor - so for example the 3 prong Apple earphones won't work. It turned out the only mic I had that worked was a tiny lapel style mic. But it did an ok job. Then I used painter's tape to secure the mic and wire. I took the sock off another mic I had purchased that didn't work due to the prong issue.
Old 12-29-2021 | 11:03 PM
RadarP3C
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by 2018911TTS
Yes, I am really curious as to how your car sounds with the headers. What do you think the sound differences are between my set up without headers and yours?
I really can't explain the difference between "with" or "without" headers because I had everything installed at the same time with this car. But, with previous setups, ... I have done it sequentially. First, with a less restrictive muffler only, I think the sound has a little bit of a motorboat quality. Adding headers and an x-pipe smooths out the exhaust pulses. A low growl is still there without the "motorboat" sound. Headers also adds more of a higher pitch exotic sound as the RPM's rise. Even the pops and gurgles are smoothed out slightly on decel (good or bad). That is my subjective take on the sound. I would defiantly add headers, if for nothing more than just sound quality.

You're off on a good start. Sounds good!

Last edited by RadarP3C; 12-29-2021 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-29-2021 | 11:49 PM
gbakerge
Racer

Your GMG sounds great. I had the GMG on my 997 turbo and loved it! I have the Speedtech 3” Xpipe on my 991.2 and love it as well. I think exhaust improvements are a must do on these cars, as the OEM sound does not appropriately convey the performance of the car.
CodyzWorld (12-30-2021)
Old 12-30-2021 | 12:10 AM
2018911TTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RadarP3C
I really can't explain the difference between "with" or "without" headers because I had everything installed at the same time with this car. But, with previous setups, ... I have done it sequentially. First, with a less restrictive muffler only, I think the sound has a little bit of a motorboat quality. Adding headers and an x-pipe smooths out the exhaust pulses. A low growl is still there without the "motorboat" sound. Headers also adds more of a higher pitch exotic sound as the RPM's rise. Even the pops and gurgles are smoothed out slightly on decel (good or bad). That is my subjective take on the sound. I would defiantly add headers, if for nothing more than just sound quality.

You're off on a good start. Sounds good!
Thank you for the input. I think your "motorboat" analogy is helpful and I wouldn't object to having some of the edge taken out of the burbles and pops (my neighbors would probably like that too lol) and who wouldn't want more of an exotic wail at higher rpms? So I'll probably go the header route and order them from Sam. When I do that I might as well have him do a custom tune and advise on some other bolt ons. My car is running low 10.20s on a JB4 Map 4 (6 psi of boost) and I figure on Map 5 probably 10.18 or 10.19 with the extra 2 psi. If I got headers and a custom tune from Sam@ByDesign (given that I always have 100 octane plus fuel in the tank) then that would probably put me closer to 10.00 secs in the 1/4 under good air and traction conditions.
Old 12-30-2021 | 12:26 AM
2018911TTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gbakerge
Your GMG sounds great. I had the GMG on my 997 turbo and loved it! I have the Speedtech 3” Xpipe on my 991.2 and love it as well. I think exhaust improvements are a must do on these cars, as the OEM sound does not appropriately convey the performance of the car.
Thank you. When I bought my car it already had the GMG exhaust on it from the prior owner and I was told by the dealer who wold it me me that the car was all stock - they are a Lexus dealership so they wouldn't really have known. I knew the Michelin Cup 2 tires on it weren't stock when I looked at the car, and I could see it had PPF and the carbon fiber wind diffusers but didn't know the exhaust wasn't stock until a several days after I had bought the car. So I don't have a basis for comparison as to what the car would sound like stock. I just knew it was much louder than the 2017 Acura NSX I traded in and I honestly wondered why people complained about the stock exhaust on a TTS because to me it sounded really good. ha ha. My daughter's remarks about the car sounding very loud when I drove away while she was in the house and being able to hear it for a couple of minutes prompted me to crawl underneath and take a look at it. I did some online searches and that's how I found out that it was probably a GMG exhaust. So I emailed my Vin no to GMG and they reported
that they had done the following installation on the car: GMG exhaust, PPF, windshield protection, carbon fiber diffusers and Michelin Cup 2 tires. Honestly that made me much happier about the price I paid for the car in this peak market - getting all that extra stuff that the dealer didn't even know about. When I took the car in for a major service I was then told but the shop it had a BMC air cleaner. Payam from BMS told me that the plenum and Y pipe were stock because he had stopped by the shop that installed my JB4 to help them upload the latest firmware etc which was all done when I was out of town. And even now I have no idea how my exhaust compares to other aftermarket exhausts because I haven't heard them.

Last edited by 2018911TTS; 12-30-2021 at 01:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Video of 2018 TTS with GMG Catted Exhaust