Old 01-02-2022 | 01:18 AM
991.2ts
Instructor

Will running 200 cell prompt CEL?
Old 01-02-2022 | 01:42 AM
2018911TTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rodsky
Nice vid - You car sounds very similar to mine. I drive through your area often. I live on West side but play golf in Tarzana and really close friends live there too. Been through that tunnel many many times as I cut through Sepulveda to Mulholland to Calneva and through Encino to avoid the 405/101 interchange.
Very cool. I always enjoy going through that tunnel and the route I drove in that video is one I use when friends ask for a ride in my cars.

Have you run your car through the 1/4 mile? Just curious as to what it does. Did you go with the stainless steel Kline headers or the inconel? I'm not sure that for me the inconel is worth the extra $ over the SS for the weight savings or slight change in sound. I got a decent weight savaging for the $ with the Anti Gravity battery and figure I can use some of the price savings by going with the SS headers instead of inconel to get a custom tune from Sam@ByDesign.
Old 01-02-2022 | 01:50 AM
2018911TTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 991.2ts
I have had zero issues with CELs as a result of using this exhaust system. I believe it is designed to not trigger CELs and I am sure the same can be said of other reputable brands' exhaust systems too.

As I have mentioned before I didn't choose the GMG exhaust system my car has. The prior owner had it installed. I'm very happy with it but also don't have any basis for comparison. For whatever reason, it seems like a less popular choice for the subgroup in the 991 Turbo forum so I am happy to make the videos trying to show what it sounds like. I guess at $5K its not the cheapest system on the market but it also isn't the most expensive.
Old 01-02-2022 | 12:07 PM
ottodawg
Rennlist Member

I have 200 cell HJS cats without extenders and have never had a CEL. YMMV
Old 01-02-2022 | 12:46 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2018911TTS
Very cool. I always enjoy going through that tunnel and the route I drove in that video is one I use when friends ask for a ride in my cars.

Have you run your car through the 1/4 mile? Just curious as to what it does. Did you go with the stainless steel Kline headers or the inconel? I'm not sure that for me the inconel is worth the extra $ over the SS for the weight savings or slight change in sound. I got a decent weight savaging for the $ with the Anti Gravity battery and figure I can use some of the price savings by going with the SS headers instead of inconel to get a custom tune from Sam@ByDesign.
I haven't run my car through the 1/4. I am also curious. I think this year (early) I am going to do the next round of upgrades from Sam (68mm Turbo's and intercoolers) and new tune. Then I will see - I need to figure out where to do the quarter around here. I have the SS Kline headers and exhaust. To some degree I wish I got inconel as I have had my car for three and a half years and counting. I would say if its a longer term keeper get the inconel as you'll forget about the $$ after a while. For short term - not worth it, especially just for headers (again just an opinion). Its not that I don't like the SS stuff - I really do, its just that inconel is lighter and more high pitched from what I've been told. I will also probably get the antigravity so with my wheels (HRE101LW), saved a bit of weight. DSC was a good pick up too. But I have a convertible so i was not after the lightest car possible.

Old 01-02-2022 | 06:39 PM
1Defense
Instructor

No cel with 200 and i have no tune. However, that JB4 is tempting....
Old 01-02-2022 | 08:08 PM
991.2ts
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1Defense
What exhaust do you have? Any noticeable in cabin smell from having 200 cell cat?
Old 01-02-2022 | 11:31 PM
2018911TTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rodsky
I haven't run my car through the 1/4. I am also curious. I think this year (early) I am going to do the next round of upgrades from Sam (68mm Turbo's and intercoolers) and new tune. Then I will see - I need to figure out where to do the quarter around here. I have the SS Kline headers and exhaust. To some degree I wish I got inconel as I have had my car for three and a half years and counting. I would say if its a longer term keeper get the inconel as you'll forget about the $$ after a while. For short term - not worth it, especially just for headers (again just an opinion). Its not that I don't like the SS stuff - I really do, its just that inconel is lighter and more high pitched from what I've been told. I will also probably get the antigravity so with my wheels (HRE101LW), saved a bit of weight. DSC was a good pick up too. But I have a convertible so i was not after the lightest car possible.
I haven't found a place around here that I feel is safe to run the 1/4 mile here. Not even the 1/8 mile - nothing that is level and straight. I'm trying to keep my driving record clean so my insurance rates don't skyrocket. In my younger days in MI I got up to 9 points on my license and paid horrible insurance rates as a result.

So I make regular trips to Irwindale and Famoso drag strips to get 1/8 mile and 1/4 mile times respectively.

I'll talk to Sam when the time comes on the stainless vs. icon headers. I probably won't keep my car for more time than it takes for the 992.2 TTS hybrid allocation and build to come through - so probably 2 years max.

I think the anti-gravity battery is a relatively economical weight savings and my factory battery was 4 years old when I made the change. I had intercoolers installed art the same time and they were quite a bit heavier than the stock intercoolers so I felt good about eliminating the intercooler weight gain with the batteries.

I'm also thinking about a lightweight wheel option - for both the unsprung weight savings and appearance. Did you stay with the factory wheel size or upgrade to larger wheels?

Old 01-02-2022 | 11:42 PM
2018911TTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1Defense
I think the JB4 is an excellent deal in terms of performance gain and capabilities:

1) It's a true plug and play so doesn't leave a permanent record of having been used in terms of warranty work or emissions testing. You are able to switch back and forth between the various maps through your phone - literally takes a few seconds and can be done on the fly.

2) It's relatively easy to install A local shop charged me for 2 hours of labor to do the install at $100 per hour. Granted I did print out relevant hints for the installation that I found on Rennlist from some people who had done it themselves and so that avoided much of the trying to squeeze your hand in tight places stuff. They said now that they have done it once they can do it in 1.5 hours.

3) It has data logging which is a really nice feature to have built in safeties. When the JB4 detects something out of line within pre-set parameters then it will kick you off the map you are on to a valet mode just in case something is awry. This is for the protection of your car. It has run very trouble free for me and Payam and Terry have been quick to respond to questions I have had.

For me it is a solid, quality product well worth the money and their customer service has been excellent. If you want to go quicker than low 10's in the quarter then a custom tune from someone like Sam@Bydesign is the way to go from what I have read on this forum.

Also, I should mention that you do have to run higher octane fuel to get the benefits of maps 4 and 5 but honestly 93 octane and map 3 give you the highest marginal gains. If you plan to get A JB4 then it's worth it to do the OBDII connection to be able to run higher than Map 2 and have the logging features.

Last edited by 2018911TTS; 01-03-2022 at 01:05 AM.
Old 01-02-2022 | 11:43 PM
2018911TTS
Rennlist Member

What exhaust do you have? Any noticeable in cabin smell from having 200 cell cat?
I have had no adverse smells from using the GMG exhaust system with 200 cel cats.
Old 01-03-2022 | 03:47 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

I stayed with the factory wheel size. I’m hesitant to lower or change wheel sizes due to ride quality, riding around town and scraping, avoiding bumps, weight etc.
Old 01-03-2022 | 05:42 PM
ottodawg
Rennlist Member

No smell with 200 cell cats, and I have a cab.
Old 01-03-2022 | 08:12 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ottodawg
No smell with 200 cell cats, and I have a cab.
Ditto for me with a cab
Old 01-03-2022 | 08:40 PM
991.2ts
Instructor

Glad no noticeable smell in cabin. Are there any downside to going 200 or 100 cell cats compared to stock oem cat?

Quick Reply: Video of 2018 TTS with GMG Catted Exhaust