Sponsored by: Road Spy

SpeedTech vs Sharkwerks Exhausts

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2021, 03:06 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts
Default SpeedTech vs Sharkwerks Exhausts

I thought I’d post a comparison because I’ve tried both on the same car, a 991.1 TT. Sharkwerks was my first mod because the stock exhaust sounds like a vacuum cleaner. Good sound, a bit on the loud side. Great cost/benefit ratio. Have had it on the car for a few years with no problems. The exhaust is basically a straight pipe downstream of one cat that runs from left to right, and another that runs right to left. It’s not overly loud because the turbos and cats act as mufflers.
But I wanted a smoother, more exotic sound. So I’ve been looking at various “crossover” designs, as they all seem to share those qualities. I think it’s because the crossover allows the gases to mix, which smooths out the exhaust pulses. But they all cost about 2x or more compared to Sharkwerks. Some are not cat-back designs and don’t bolt up to OEM cats; you have to get their cats, too, raising the price even higher. In some states like California, they may not be legal.
Enter SpeedTech. Also priced at around $2k, it’s a cat-back exhaust, constructed of stainless steel and has a crossover design. (They also sell optional 200 cell cats and bypass pipes if you’re so inclined.). The sound is smoother and more exotic than the Sharkwerks, and that sound is consistent all the way up the RPM scale. It is not as loud as the Sharkwerks, though, so I suggest you opt for the SpeedTech 3.0 inch version instead of the 2.5. I have the 3.0, and glad, because I’m sure I would find the 2.5 not loud enough. At higher RPM, the Sharkwerks gets "blatty" sounding, while the SpeedTech continues to be smooth. This is the main reason I wanted to switch to a crossover type design like the SpeedTech. The Sharkwerks has more pops and crackles when you close the throttle, if you prefer that, but I'm fine with fewer pops. I think to get louder with a crossover type exhaust you need to go to 200 cell cats, or even bypass pipes, but since I'm in California, I can't do that with my street-driven car.
Overall, I’m pleased with the switch to SpeedTech. I went with the stock exhaust tips, but you can order it with their 3” tips, which should make it very slightly louder, as necking down the big main pipes to fit the stock tips may slow the exhaust gases a bit.
Note: I think they build them to order, so allow time from date of order for them to construct and ship yours to you. Installation time is about 3.5-4 hours. The rear bumper cover has to come off.

The following 3 users liked this post by Need4S:
John D II (03-25-2021), OMTarga4S (03-24-2021), r00t61 (03-24-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 09:28 AM
Beezupra
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 162 Posts

Thx for the write-up. I think we have an endless appetite for exhaust comparisons here. : )
The following 2 users liked this post by Beezupra:
Need4S (03-25-2021), XLR82XS (03-24-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 09:32 AM
XLR82XS
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 692 Likes on 452 Posts

I had a cat-less SpeedTech system on a 911 turbo years ago and loved it. Received endless comments about how wonderful it sounded including praise from the Switzer team commented on how awesome it sounded on the long straight at Mid-Ohio.
Every customer build that was a modern Porsche got a SpeedTech exhaust.
The following 3 users liked this post by XLR82XS:
ace67 (07-09-2021), John D II (03-25-2021), Need4S (03-25-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 12:53 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Received 596 Likes on 335 Posts

Exhaust is very subjective.

I had the 3" catless SpeedTech (yes, catless in CA ) and I couldn't get it off the car fast enough.

The tone was very deep and not super pleasing to me but more so, it had way too much drone for me. I didn't try it with OEM cats because my build/tune requires high flow cats or catless. Perhaps the SpeedTech would be better on the drone using OEM or aftermarket high flow cats but that path was not in the cards.

My buddy has a catless Sharkwerks and I don't really care for the sound/tone of that system either. I'd agree that the SpeedTech system sounds a bit "smoother".

I'm running a catless FVD Brombacher system and while better overall (no drone and overall I prefer the tone to Sharkwerks or SpeedTech), I'm still in search of the "right" tone that'll please me for as long as I plan to keep this car. I am likely going with Boostlogic's titanium system next.

When it comes to inexpensive, x pipe designs, you can't go wrong with SpeedTech (or Quicksilver) but just know what you are (and are not) getting.

Old 03-24-2021, 04:34 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 338 Likes on 234 Posts

JB, sorry you did not enjoy the full 3" catless system, in my experience, catless, especially in a full 3" system w/ dual 3" tips is very loud and it's too much for me, too. But some still want it and like it. Drop down to a 2.5 catless with OEM tips and it's nowhere near as dramatic as a full 3'. But IMO, the key is running cats. Our catted systems sound fantastic and are very comfortable and extremely rewarding to drive. Personally, I do not run catless, as I never cared for the excess noise of a catless system. For a spectacular, refined sound, I recommend catted and it's great - smooth and exotic, all the way to redline as Need4s explained. That's why we offer all the options we do - full 3" catless for those racing or looking for max performance down to our 2.5 with OEM cats/OEM tips, which is just a little louder than stock with no drone.

If anyone has questions about sound levels and attributes, feel free to message me anytime and I will be more than happy to walk through the many options we offer. We also provide a sound guarantee whereby if after installation you wish to go louder or quieter, we will swap you out one time at no charge. Additionally, our system is completely modular to allow the swapping of any and all components at any time to tweak the sound one way or another, so you are never locked in to one sound level. Hope this helps explain a little more about exhaust options....
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook

Last edited by John D II; 03-24-2021 at 04:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by John D II:
Need4S (03-25-2021), Slow_911TTS (09-25-2022)
Old 03-24-2021, 04:39 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Darryl,

Thank you for the very detailed and informative review. We appreciate the time you took to inform others of your experience with your new exhaust...
The following users liked this post:
Need4S (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 01:48 AM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Received 596 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by John D II
JB, sorry you did not enjoy the full 3" catless system, in my experience, catless, especially in a full 3" system w/ dual 3" tips is very loud and it's too much for me, too. But some still want it and like it. Drop down to a 2.5 catless with OEM tips and it's nowhere near as dramatic as a full 3'. But IMO, the key is running cats. Our catted systems sound fantastic and are very comfortable and extremely rewarding to drive. Personally, I do not run catless, as I never cared for the excess noise of a catless system. For a spectacular, refined sound, I recommend catted and it's great - smooth and exotic, all the way to redline as Need4s explained. That's why we offer all the options we do - full 3" catless for those racing or looking for max performance down to our 2.5 with OEM cats/OEM tips, which is just a little louder than stock with no drone.

If anyone has questions about sound levels and attributes, feel free to message me anytime and I will be more than happy to walk through the many options we offer. We also provide a sound guarantee whereby if after installation you wish to go louder or quieter, we will swap you out one time at no charge. Additionally, our system is completely modular to allow the swapping of any and all components at any time to tweak the sound one way or another, so you are never locked in to one sound level. Hope this helps explain a little more about exhaust options....

Hey John, thanks for the input and no need to apologize. Hopefully my comment didn't come across in the wrong light. You are a great company with great exhausts and customer service. Definitely the kind of company to do business with. No doubt that your exhausts are good and are perfect for the tastes of many.

I've tried 4 different setups thus far (including yours) and I have a friend that's had the Sharkwerks (with and without cats), so I have a bit of a perspective on it. Nothing wrong with stainless x-pipe systems like SpeedTech or Quicksilver (or the Sharkwerks system), I simply learned the hard way that they're not quite what I'm personally looking for.

I sold the SpeedTech 3" catless I got from you and the guy who bought it is happy with it. Cheers.

Need4S (03-25-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 08:39 PM
yell03
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 159 Posts

Reviving an old thread...

I just ordered a Speedtech Level 3 2.5 x-pipe without mufflers.
I am going to use stock tips and stock cats.

I have a 2015 991.1 Turbo S cab.
I thought about the 3", but after speaking with John at Speedtech via PM I think the 2.5" will have a better tone at the expense of some volume.

On my 991.2 Base Carrera non-pse I have a Soul x-pipe with anti-drone tubes with stock cats and stock tips, it sounds fantastic and just loud enough. I believe they are 2.5" diameter.
Old 07-08-2021, 12:07 AM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 431 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by yell03

I thought about the 3", but after speaking with John at Speedtech via PM I think the 2.5" will have a better tone at the expense of some volume.

On my 991.2 Base Carrera non-pse I have a Soul x-pipe with anti-drone tubes with stock cats and stock tips, it sounds fantastic and just loud enough. I believe they are 2.5" diameter.
Cant wait to hear your impressions. Are you near Phila?
Old 07-08-2021, 10:47 AM
yell03
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neil.schneider
Cant wait to hear your impressions. Are you near Phila?
I have a home in Bucks County, PA and in N. Wildwood NJ.

I keep the Turbo S in Jersey and the Carrera in PA.

I think we know each other from other car forums, I have owned them all except for higher end above Porsche.
Old 07-09-2021, 03:30 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts

Thank you for surfacing this. I’ve got a 997.2TT, so same basic motor as y’all, with the cat back Sharkwerks. I can definitely attest to the unpleasant blat sound, especially laying into the throttle at mid-rpm. But I’ve been hesitant to throw a couple grand at what I thought might just be the nature of this motor, so great to read the back to back comparison. John monitors all these Speedtech threads, so John I’ll be in touch. You may recall you built a system for my 996TT a few years ago.

One note on what I learned from previous experience is that the tips can make a big difference to the sound. On my previous Speedtech, I had the big 3” quad tips that would set off car alarms in parking garages, a set of angled 45’ “Laguna pipes” that allowed me to run at Laguna Seca 90db days with 100 cell cats where I had previously hit 97db with the stock exhaust, and the stock x50 tips that were a nice happy median between the two others.
Need4S (09-28-2022)
Old 07-09-2021, 10:11 AM
yell03
Rennlist Member

I chose to stay with the stock tips for that reason.
I can always make it louder later on by adding tips, 100 cell cats, etc...
I also did some research, even with the 2.5" pipes compared to 3", there are cars running more horsepower than I will ever want through 2.5".
For some reason, I think the 2.5" diameter pipes sound better than 3" pipes, so I am willing to sacrifice a small bit if performance for what I perceive to be a better sound.

My most likely 1st mod if I choose to void my CPO on one or both of my cars would be a Tune only, best bang for the buck.

On the 991.1 Turbo S, down the road I could see doing a full build up to 750-850 horse, but I have about 1 year and 3 months left on that CPO.
On the 991.2 Carrera I have 2 years of CPO left.

Must be strong, lol.

Last edited by yell03; 07-13-2021 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-09-2021, 12:01 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by jayzbird
Thank you for surfacing this. I’ve got a 997.2TT, so same basic motor as y’all, with the cat back Sharkwerks. I can definitely attest to the unpleasant blat sound, especially laying into the throttle at mid-rpm. But I’ve been hesitant to throw a couple grand at what I thought might just be the nature of this motor, so great to read the back to back comparison. John monitors all these Speedtech threads, so John I’ll be in touch. You may recall you built a system for my 996TT a few years ago.

One note on what I learned from previous experience is that the tips can make a big difference to the sound. On my previous Speedtech, I had the big 3” quad tips that would set off car alarms in parking garages, a set of angled 45’ “Laguna pipes” that allowed me to run at Laguna Seca 90db days with 100 cell cats where I had previously hit 97db with the stock exhaust, and the stock x50 tips that were a nice happy median between the two others.
Yes, I remember!

We have switched several 997.2TT owners from SW to SpeedTech with great results. They are very different sounding systems and customers have been extremely pleased with our sound characteristics - very smooth and tuned sounding, right up to redline. Our 997.2TT XP possesses our historic signature sound, except a little less than previous generations, due to the DFI's quieter engine attributes.
Old 07-09-2021, 12:04 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Yell03,

Thanks so much for the order!

We really appreciate it!

John
Old 07-13-2021, 09:00 AM
CodyzWorld
Burning Brakes

Received 417 Likes on 267 Posts

I'm going for it!

I ordered the 3" Stage V exhaust that will bolt up to the stock cats today!
Thanks for John for being patient and answering all my questions beforehand! Can't wait for the build to order, my installers are ready to go!
The following 3 users liked this post by CodyzWorld:
John D II (07-13-2021), Need4S (07-19-2021), Pb Pedis (07-13-2021)

Quick Reply: SpeedTech vs Sharkwerks Exhausts