Sponsored by: Road Spy

High Mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 08:55 PM
Phattymcgee
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Default High Mileage?

Hey guys. I have a .1 GTS and want to go turbo. I found the car below near me. My car has 31k miles and the turbo has 70k. Would you consider a 70k mile TTS? What would you think is a good price for a car with this kind of mileage?

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
Old 11-08-2020, 08:30 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,504 Likes on 964 Posts

I used to have a 991.1 GTS. Was a great car. Have you considered a 2016 TTS certified? That way you get over a year of warranty. These cars have great reliability but I'm not sure about turbo condition when you get over 60k miles and you don't know how it was driven.
Old 11-08-2020, 09:12 PM
r00t61
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts

PROs:
- Only had 2 owners, last owner had it for 4 years, consistent service intervals at the same dealer (a used turbo lease for 4 years?)
- Daily driven, so at least it hasn't been sitting around doing nothing
- 60K service is done (AWD oil, PDK oil, clutch oil), so one less $$$$ item to worry about for a while

CONs:
- Need to get PCCB condition checked, which requires a special tool - on the off chance that the rotors need replacement, this is $25K easy
- Price seems high given the mileage - but then again, current used car market is topsy turvy due to corona
- 991.1 has PCM 3.0 that lacks Apple Carplay - this was a dealbreaker for me and why I went with a 991.2

If you like it, get a PPI with paint depth meter readings - then you'll be able to tell if any panels have been resprayed due to non-disclosed accidents; also the DME readout can give you a hint as to whether the car was abused
Old 11-09-2020, 06:49 PM
aft86
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 61 Posts

I agree with the comment above, get a PPI done from a knowledgeable shop that deals with Porsches. I bought a high milage 991.1 TT/S myself, I am the 3rd owner, and so far only one issue (AOS went bad) in 2+ years of ownership. I have had self inflicted issues due to mods, like CEL due to a catless exhaust etc., but nothing that has left stranded. I would make sure the 60k maintenance has been performed, the discs are not chipped or scratched, the cab system works properly, and check for rust since the car looks like it was daily driven in Jersey. A dealer/good indy shop can check the carbon density/weight on the discs which will offer peace of mind, but from my research carbon ceramics last a long time even with track times.
Old 11-09-2020, 08:44 PM
Phattymcgee
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. It has been helpful. I went to see the car and I just can’t like the color. I want to but I can’t! I will keep looking.

Quick Reply: High Mileage?