mahones15's 991.2 Turbo return back to factory-spec then GP Certified

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2020 | 04:37 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thumbs up mahones15's 991.2 Turbo return back to factory-spec then GP Certified

A few weeks back, another client/RL member texted me a link, https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turb...-all-time.html and simply said "you might want to chime in".

Whenever I see a thread title similar to that, I have an idea what to expect. It's a double-edge sword. I'm honored my client think so highly of us, GP, and I'm also heartbroken as I know what the OP is feeling.

Upon reading the thread, and all the comments, it was evident OP was in need of solid advice and a quick resolution.

Unfortunately, these types of projects are becoming more and more common in our industry and experience and expertise are the only cure for the disease.

Within 72 hours, this 911 turbo was here at GP, from AZ, for me to assess and turn back the clock. Thank you Plycar for the amazing door-to-door service as always...we use them exclusively.

Upon closer inspection, yes the PPF would definitely need to be replaced, but so did some other unusual "additions".

The calipers were the first thing that caught my eye. I didn't know Porsche did PTS on calipers. Upon closer inspection, the calipers were anything but OEM:

Calipers were the Turbo red calipers and whomever repainted them Irish green, didn't prime them

Paint also didn't adhere well and was beginning to crack, and car only has 1400 miles. This is of concern as these calipers take on a lot of heat and durability is concerning

Then, my focus went to the rear letters. The rough orange peel texture didn't look to the standards of Porsche.

Letters were re-applied, not original double-sided adhesive tape

These letters are part of a kit from Porsche and retail for nearly $700...so, it's understandable why new letters were't used, but not acceptable to our standards...they will be replaced

Alignment was also inaccurate

Here's our factory Porsche jig, and placement is significantly off

Next, wheels were also not right. Lots of orange peel

Driver side rocker had a scratch under the ppf...we sent this out for refinishing

Old ppf removed safely

She's now in our paint correction room and will get a proper compounding and polishing

Game Plan:

1. Remove old PPF
2. Paint correction
3. Refinish calipers
4. Refinish wheels
5. NanoCeramic window film
6. New PPF
7. Ceramic coating
8. Few surprises

Stay tuned and follow her journey as we return this Turbo back to how Porsche intended and perhaps a few enhancements along the way

Last edited by MoeMistry; 07-29-2020 at 04:42 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by MoeMistry:
4flynlow (07-31-2020), BMS (07-29-2020), dashanin (08-01-2020), KONG991TT (07-29-2020), lamacan (07-29-2020), PV997 (07-30-2020), r00t61 (07-29-2020), rodsky (07-29-2020) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-29-2020 | 04:42 PM
KONG991TT
Rennlist Member

Subscribed
@mahones15 You're in good hands and I can't wait to see the finished product!
Old 07-29-2020 | 05:19 PM
BMS
Former Vendor

Wow, I was literally thinking about this car while getting ready in the morning earlier today. I was going to bump the old thread but it looks like a new one will full details and pictures popped up.

Really amazing work and attention to detail, I must say I am very very impressed. I didn't even know there was a placement jig for the Porsche lettering, and yes I paid $600 for new rear emblems at wholesale, not cheap!

Might need to come check your facility one day, great work!!!

-Payam
Old 07-29-2020 | 05:24 PM
Redlinerobert
Pro

Wow.

Can't believe this was acquired at a dealership. The calipers, the lettering on the back end,

This will clearly end up better than new.
Old 07-29-2020 | 05:38 PM
Jim991
Burning Brakes

Wow...great work. I hope the OP gets proper compensation from the selling dealer and the original PPF installer.
Old 07-29-2020 | 05:43 PM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

awesome, subscribed
Old 07-29-2020 | 06:10 PM
lamacan
Rennlist Member

good man, Moe. i saw the car in person the other day at Moe's. beautiful car. will look how it deserves to look in no time.
Old 07-29-2020 | 06:56 PM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Yep, it looks like somebody took the car and repainted the wheels, did an aftermarket paint job on those calipers (Porsche has not done PTS calipers in a few years) and changed the badges to black using some tape for alignment. I'd say the owner has issues with the dealer, but this is the challenge of buying aftermarket. The film job is just shoddy - clearly the PPF installer has staffing issues, but this should have not taken 2 weeks at all, and should never have left in that condition. I can't believe the owner let this car leave at all!!

PPF does not need to be so expensive and still be done perfectly, but yes it does need paint correction first. Ceramic coating...I'm not sold on the value of it, but it can easily buff right off any time. It's not exactly the magic it's sold to be. (Yes, Moe and I have disagreed on this in the past)
Old 07-29-2020 | 07:06 PM
lamacan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Randyc151
Yep, it looks like somebody took the car and repainted the wheels, did an aftermarket paint job on those calipers (Porsche has not done PTS calipers in a few years) and changed the badges to black using some tape for alignment. I'd say the owner has issues with the dealer, but this is the challenge of buying aftermarket. The film job is just shoddy - clearly the PPF installer has staffing issues, but this should have not taken 2 weeks at all, and should never have left in that condition. I can't believe the owner let this car leave at all!!

PPF does not need to be so expensive and still be done perfectly, but yes it does need paint correction first. Ceramic coating...I'm not sold on the value of it, but it can easily buff right off any time. It's not exactly the magic it's sold to be. (Yes, Moe and I have disagreed on this in the past)
not really the point of this thread to comment on the value of what's being done. it's to track the progress and provide insight to the process. ceramic is great. makes a huge difference. it requires maintenance. but not anymore so than adding an additional step to the normal maintenance you'd do on your car anyways. anyone selling it as apply and forget it is full of it, but nobody who knows what they're doing would sell it that way.
Old 07-29-2020 | 09:15 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Subscribed. Its amazing to me how much went wrong in 1400 miles. I am not normally **** to this degree but if i had a unique color like this one, i would be. It's a cool looking TTS! Good luck, this will be a fun before and after.
Old 07-29-2020 | 09:35 PM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by lamacan
not really the point of this thread to comment on the value of what's being done. it's to track the progress and provide insight to the process. ceramic is great. makes a huge difference. it requires maintenance. but not anymore so than adding an additional step to the normal maintenance you'd do on your car anyways. anyone selling it as apply and forget it is full of it, but nobody who knows what they're doing would sell it that way.
Oh, sorry, my apologies.
Old 07-29-2020 | 09:52 PM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

So glad to see this car get the treatment it deserves! Subscribed so I can see the outcome!!!
Old 07-30-2020 | 10:12 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by KONG991TT
Subscribed
@mahones15 You're in good hands and I can't wait to see the finished product!
Thank you Sir...I can already imagine the final result and it’s stunning

Originally Posted by BMS
Wow, I was literally thinking about this car while getting ready in the morning earlier today. I was going to bump the old thread but it looks like a new one will full details and pictures popped up.

Really amazing work and attention to detail, I must say I am very very impressed. I didn't even know there was a placement jig for the Porsche lettering, and yes I paid $600 for new rear emblems at wholesale, not cheap!

Might need to come check your facility one day, great work!!!

-Payam
my goal is to educate the consumer out there of “behind-the-scene” stuff as that’s usually where important decisions are made and the customer should be aware of ALL his/her options

we’ll have a lot of fun with this project

Originally Posted by Redlinerobert
Wow.

Can't believe this was acquired at a dealership. The calipers, the lettering on the back end,

This will clearly end up better than new.
100% true

Originally Posted by Jim991
Wow...great work. I hope the OP gets proper compensation from the selling dealer and the original PPF installer.
we’re sorting things out with dealer now. Will keep you guys posted.

It’s a wonderful dealership and OP has had an amazing experience purchasing this 911 from them.

I’m sure they’ll do the right thing

as for previous installer, we all have off days, but it’s how we handle them. I believe OP has worked things out with them that truly makes a shop “professional”

happy to report no razor cut marks 👍

Originally Posted by Elliott991TS
awesome, subscribed
🙏
Old 07-30-2020 | 12:28 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
as for previous installer, we all have off days, but it’s how we handle them. I believe OP has worked things out with them that truly makes a shop “professional”

happy to report no razor cut marks 👍
When I saw the original thread where the work had already been subjected to at least one do-over I worried about this. Thankfully, the original PPF installer (although they weren't showing us a shining example of their best work) wasn't so unprofessional that they left cut marks. I'm glad to hear they are working it out with the car's owner. Hopefully they will see this as valuable lesson that they can use to improve their business.

Looking forward to the results!
Old 07-30-2020 | 10:11 PM
Makavelim3
Instructor

So sad to see such clumsy work done on such a nice car.

Note to self: Next time i buy a used car I need to swinging by an experienced detailer. In addition of course to a PPI.
The following users liked this post:
dashanin (08-01-2020)

Quick Reply: mahones15's 991.2 Turbo return back to factory-spec then GP Certified