Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

2014 991.1 Turbo S - To buy or not to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 07:58 AM
Frank996

Received 146 Likes on 51 Posts
Default 2014 991.1 Turbo S - To buy or not to buy?

After having had my 997.2 C4S PDK for around 3 years now (I started out with a 2002 996 C4S) I have been playing with the idea of "upgrading" to a 991.1 Turbo S... Is this the natural evolution in Porsche ownership I wonder? I don't know but it has grown on me and I think I have found the right one for me BUT I also have my reservations...

1) The Turbo S I have found is with a Porsche dealer and has 87'000 km (55'000 miles) on the clock and 2 owners. Silver with black interior and yellow stitching and matching yellow seatbelts (can ofc always swap these to black should my better half not like them, i.e do not match any of her outfits). Looks good on the photo's (COBIV-19 lock down so not seen in person) and comes with 111 point check from Porsche, warranty etc
2) PCCB's are fitted and some of the others I'd want (Distance cruise control with Porsche Active Safe (PAS), sport seats plus and other bits and bobs such as ventilated seats and high grade PCM). Only minus, is that it has a smokers pack fitted so if this in fact is a smokers car it's a defo no-no for me... (dont' want to fork out a 6 digit amount on a stinker)!

So, my main concerns are, never having owned a turbo before (or a car with PCCBs), I have no idea what the running costs are going to be and what "issues" may rise with a 2014 Turbo S?

The car is purely for Sunday cruises in the alps and a-once-in-a-while a longer weekend trip to a neighbouring Central European country and popping over to the shop once a week (i.e. shorter trips).

I have never had any issues with my NA 997.2 C4S (other than a new ignition coil to be changed) and same with my previous owned 996 C4S.

So, I have read that PCCB's are brilliant but also comes at a cost (when added). I believe these needs to be changed once in while like with "normal" steel brakes BUT how often (rule of thumb) and what are the costs (I know different from country to country but I'm just multiplying everything with 1.5 to get Swiss prices)

Anything else I need to check before moving to the next step? It's at my Porsche dealer where I get all my services done at (over the last 8 years) so I trust them 100% and then some...

Any pointers are more than welcome, including comments as "Hey, just stick to your 997.2 C4S". I don't want a GT2/3/S so no need to bring that up :-)
Old 04-06-2020, 11:16 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 826 Likes on 432 Posts

I went from a 2012 C2S to a 2015 Turbo S and love it. The carbon ceramics are fabulous and Porsche says they are good for 100K miles. With your planned use they will be a non-issue. Mine is a daily driver and I love it on long outings, very comfortable cruiser. I had one igniter coil go bad (under CPO warranty) but other than that it has been bullet proof. Do it, you will not regret it!
Lastly, you should post this in the Turbo forum where you will get lots of feedback.
The following users liked this post:
Frank996 (04-06-2020)
Old 04-06-2020, 11:23 AM
mtgadbois
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Smoker's Package gives you an outlet to plug in your trickle charger and cleans up the appearance of the console. It is a no charge option and I have it.
Frank996 (04-06-2020)
Old 04-06-2020, 10:59 PM
Smoltz
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank996
After having had my 997.2 C4S PDK for around 3 years now (I started out with a 2002 996 C4S) I have been playing with the idea of "upgrading" to a 991.1 Turbo S... Is this the natural evolution in Porsche ownership I wonder? I don't know but it has grown on me and I think I have found the right one for me BUT I also have my reservations...
Everyone has their path... for me I had a 996 C4s, then a 996 Turbo, 981 GT4, and now a 991 Turbo S (and a bunch of other stuff in between). The GT4 was my favorite for a spirited drive, but the 991.1 TTS is by far my favorite as an all around vehicle. It's comfortable when you want it to be, hard edged when you want it to be, and brutally fast all of the time. Unlike many modern Porsches in the used market, the TTS has nearly all the bells and whistles standard and most cars are equipped even beyond that.

1) The Turbo S I have found is with a Porsche dealer and has 87'000 km (55'000 miles) on the clock and 2 owners. Silver with black interior and yellow stitching and matching yellow seatbelts (can ofc always swap these to black should my better half not like them, i.e do not match any of her outfits). Looks good on the photo's (COBIV-19 lock down so not seen in person) and comes with 111 point check from Porsche, warranty etc
2) PCCB's are fitted and some of the others I'd want (Distance cruise control with Porsche Active Safe (PAS), sport seats plus and other bits and bobs such as ventilated seats and high grade PCM). Only minus, is that it has a smokers pack fitted so if this in fact is a smokers car it's a defo no-no for me... (dont' want to fork out a 6 digit amount on a stinker)!
Many 991 are fitted with smokers pack because it was a no charge option and gives you an extra 12v outlet and keeps the center console looking a little cleaner since the tray is a little silly.

So, my main concerns are, never having owned a turbo before (or a car with PCCBs), I have no idea what the running costs are going to be and what "issues" may rise with a 2014 Turbo S?

The car is purely for Sunday cruises in the alps and a-once-in-a-while a longer weekend trip to a neighbouring Central European country and popping over to the shop once a week (i.e. shorter trips).

I have never had any issues with my NA 997.2 C4S (other than a new ignition coil to be changed) and same with my previous owned 996 C4S.

So, I have read that PCCB's are brilliant but also comes at a cost (when added). I believe these needs to be changed once in while like with "normal" steel brakes BUT how often (rule of thumb) and what are the costs (I know different from country to country but I'm just multiplying everything with 1.5 to get Swiss prices)
The PDK transmission and current generation motor have been very reliable. You'll definitely use more fuel :-) I have a 14 TTS that I bought Porsche CPO and it's had a few issues, but mostly early 991 general issues, nothing peculiar to the Turbo. The PDCC system requires some routine maintenance. For track use, opinions are very mixed on PCCB, but for a street car, there is a strong possibility the rotors will last the life of the car and the pads are really no more expensive than pads for non-PCCB, most folks say that you want to make sure you don't let pads get too low, as that is harder on the rotors. The one downside is that in the rain they can be a little scary. I wouldn't fret about PCCB, drive it and enjoy it and should the time ever come where you need to replace the rotors due to wear or damage, you can always convert to non-PCCB if you don't feel it's worth it, but I suspect that it will never come to that if you don't track the car.

Anything else I need to check before moving to the next step? It's at my Porsche dealer where I get all my services done at (over the last 8 years) so I trust them 100% and then some...

Any pointers are more than welcome, including comments as "Hey, just stick to your 997.2 C4S". I don't want a GT2/3/S so no need to bring that up :-)
I would just make sure it's up to date on service, and you know what level brake pads and tires are at. The 997.2 is a great car. I'd probably prefer a C2S or GTS.2 over the C4S, but everyone has their preferences. I guess the question to you is why are you looking to "upgrade". I think the 997 platform is a bit more engaging (although you mention you have PDK already). On the other hand, the 991 is a bit more comfortable and capable. There is a separate 991 Turbo forum here too, but it's not quite as active as this forum.
The following 2 users liked this post by Smoltz:
AlexCeres (04-07-2020), Frank996 (04-07-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 01:15 AM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 651 Likes on 344 Posts

Go for it!
Frank996 (04-07-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 05:38 AM
Frank996

Thanks a mill @Smoltz for taking your time replying with details and first hand experience(s).

OK, I'm going to start the enquires on the car directly with my OPD and see if I can get a reasonable deal, taking my C4S as part payment.

It may very well be the right time to purchase cars right now as the country has come to a stand still, hitting the economy somewhat, so any sale is a good sale I guess...
Old 04-07-2020, 05:59 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,613 Likes on 1,053 Posts

There is a tool specific for measuring wear on the PCCBs. The dealer is expected to have it. In order to correctly CPO inspect the car the dealer *must* have it. Many dealerships do not actually do the CPO inspection, they just check the boxes on the paper since that is a lot cheaper than doing any replacements as a result of an inspection. Worn PCCB rotors would not be covered by CPO after you buy.

I would want to *see* the tool being used on all 4 rotors before buying. Under current circumstances a video or a picture of tool measurement on all four. PCCB rotors are no less than $4000 USD each (yes, you read correctly and multiply by four.) On a street car they are supposed to last the lifetime of the car (>100k-miles.) However, if used on the track (e.g. Nordschleife, etc.) a newbie can wear them out in a fews hours. Thus, measurement is important.
Frank996 (04-07-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 08:56 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,434 Likes on 896 Posts

I made the progression from 996 C4S to 997 Turbo to 991 Turbo S. The 991 is my favorite of the three 911s, by far. I can’t think of one reason that I would go back to an earlier car. My 2014 991.1 Turbo S is my second car with the PCCB option, and I have no desire to own a car without that option. The performance of the brakes is excellent, and they do not produce any brake dust on the wheels.

i think a move to a 991 sounds like a great idea!
Frank996 (04-07-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 11:00 AM
Frank996

OK, I'm going to check out the car on Thursday morning and got an OK trade in deal offer on my current 997 C4S.
If I can get the price down a tiny bit, I'll go for it and buy the car... Exciting times ahead, but could also all come crashing in.

This said, it seems like there are very little reported issues with this specific year/model as both my "worries" - the PCCB's and Turbos - seem to be designed to last a good number of miles/decades...
Old 04-07-2020, 11:07 AM
Frank996

Originally Posted by worf928
However, if used on the track (e.g. Nordschleife, etc.) a newbie can wear them out in a fews hours.
Oh my, and at USD 4'000 per corner (probably double here in Switzerland) - No trips to Nordschleife for me then (it's about 5 hours from where I live)
Old 04-07-2020, 12:37 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 844 Likes on 573 Posts

I went from a 40th anniversary 996 to a 997.2 S to a 991.1TT. The difference from the 997 to the 991.1TT is huge. In summary, i would highly recommend it. For years, i sort of wanted to avoid a TT. I thought it would be too heavy, AWD, not NA, too civilized. I got my TT about 1.5 years ago and i love it. So far - touch wood - nothing spent apart from as service. I am sure they are more expensive than a regular Carrera to maintain but for the performance not so much. I modified it, so I am a little over the edge but now with more HP, TQ and better sound - its perfect for my DD. Yesterday my daughter wanted to get out the house and see the ocean. So we did! A little spirited drive up PCH and then down Sunset Blvd from Malibu over to the 405. Stopped to buy ice cream sandwiches and then home to continue shelter in place. Not crazy etc., but this car does it all.. Yes a GT3 is more "exciting", but not really usable daily. The TT is almost as exciting, certainly much faster and can potter around town or be a DD with ease. I love the Burmester too. Only drawback of the .1 - no Apple Car Play. Otherwise, so much performance / reliability for the $$.
The following 3 users liked this post by rodsky:
AirBusPilot (04-07-2020), AnthonyGan (04-08-2020), Frank996 (04-07-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 03:53 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 739 Likes on 539 Posts

My path ....993 cab to 996 C4S to 991.2 GT3 to 991.2 TTS.........the last being the most versatile and flat out thrilling since I love speed in a daily driver........car has been bulletproof......main thing is to see if they replaced the pads for the ceramics with the CPO certification......rotors I would not be concerned about yet, but the pads are probably real close..........also make sure new tires which they should have on there....new wipers and all the normal wear replaceable parts...cabin filters, etc.....also check rear engine cover struts as they are poor and known to wear out in less than 15K miles...........good luck!
Frank996 (04-08-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 07:35 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 844 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
My path ....993 cab to 996 C4S to 991.2 GT3 to 991.2 TTS.........the last being the most versatile and flat out thrilling since I love speed in a daily driver........car has been bulletproof......main thing is to see if they replaced the pads for the ceramics with the CPO certification......rotors I would not be concerned about yet, but the pads are probably real close..........also make sure new tires which they should have on there....new wipers and all the normal wear replaceable parts...cabin filters, etc.....also check rear engine cover struts as they are poor and known to wear out in less than 15K miles...........good luck!
I left out my 85 Carrera, and my 1990 964 and my 1996 993 .. My favorite old one (air-cooled) was my 85. Although its creature comforts sucked. AC was barely functional. In Palm Springs during summer - worthless. Preferred the 993 to the 964.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:27 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 424 Likes on 276 Posts

I went from a 2012.5 991 to my 2015 TTS. It had 44K miles and now has almost 51k. I Haven't had any real issues. I did replace the switch that opens the trunk and a pipe behind the turbo. Both very inexpensive. I do not think I will be seeing a brake change and even if you do, it would most likely be the pads and not the rotors. I say go for it and you will love the change.

Have you driven one yet?
Frank996 (04-08-2020)
Old 04-07-2020, 10:28 PM
Deckard
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Have 40k miles on my 2014 991.1 TTS cabrio and the only issue in 3 years of ownership is replacing the cupholder magnets.

I am now out of CPO warranty and decided to self-insure after getting some ridiculous quotes for third party extended warranties. The biggest potential repair cost I am aware of is a PDK replacement for $25k-30k, which would be unpleasant but not break the bank given the overall cost of the car.
Frank996 (04-08-2020)

Quick Reply: 2014 991.1 Turbo S - To buy or not to buy?