Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

2014 991.1 Turbo S - To buy or not to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 09:20 AM
Frank996

Received 146 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by neil.schneider
I went from a 2012.5 991 to my 2015 TTS. It had 44K miles and now has almost 51k. I Haven't had any real issues. I did replace the switch that opens the trunk and a pipe behind the turbo. Both very inexpensive. I do not think I will be seeing a brake change and even if you do, it would most likely be the pads and not the rotors. I say go for it and you will love the change.

Have you driven one yet?
​​​​@neil.schneider thanks for your reply... As this will come with a full Porsche 24 months warranty and their 111 point-check-list ticked, I'm not worried about any foul play (I have had all my services done with them in the past many years so know them very well). And No, never driven one, and tbh, I have not been super attracted to any of the Turbo's (except the 930) until I saw the 2014 Turbo S.

Nothing wrong with the performance specs either with the Turbo S, and over all drive comfort everyone keeps talking about, so I'm more than sure I will fall in love with it before I get to try it out..

Seems like the consensus of the 991 turbo owners in here is unanimous and I'm now 98% sure I will purchase the car. I shall update tomorrow after I return back from my OPD
Will have difficulties sleeping tonight for sure. Like a five year old before Christmas :-)
Old 04-09-2020, 06:43 AM
Frank996

OK, just came back from the test drive, and oh my... This is one of the most amazing things I have ever experienced tbh. The acceleration, handling and everything was just amazing. Only thing I had as a "negative" was this it seemed a tad noisy compared to my current C4S. Otherwise the car was tight as hell and came with all the bell and whistles and then some...

So, Came back to the dealer after a 45 min good drive, and started negotiating. I went above my maximum offer by a few 1'000s as he would not budge a cent. I was told the difference I had to fork out would be around CHF 61'000 (same in USD) as my C4S was in perfect showroom condition (which is really is). I ended up offering CHF 60'000 (CHF 900 less than the asking price), he went away to "check" something, came back and said he couldn't do it as he had others coming today to have a look at the car (which I find hard to believe tbh).

So now the deal is, that if he doesn't sell it by the end of the day, he will get back to me and probably accept the CHF 60K...

The car came on sale back in August of last year, lowered by 10K now beginning of March and still no sale which I find peculiar. This said, I really hope he get's back to me later today... Crossing my fingers
Old 04-09-2020, 07:08 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,613 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank996
Seems like the consensus of the 991 turbo owners in here is unanimous ...
That they don't suck?

OK, just came back from the test drive, and oh my... This is one of the most amazing things I have ever experienced tbh.
Yup. They don't suck

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Frank996 (04-09-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 08:39 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 739 Likes on 539 Posts

might be noisier if it has Pirelli tires versus those on your 4S....if road noise is the observation...

OK, just came back from the test drive, and oh my... This is one of the most amazing things I have ever experienced tbh. The acceleration, handling and everything was just amazing. Only thing I had as a "negative" was this it seemed a tad noisy compared to my current C4S. Otherwise the car was tight as hell and came with all the bell and whistles and then some...

So, Came back to the dealer after a 45 min good drive, and started negotiating. I went above my maximum offer by a few 1'000s as he would not budge a cent. I was told the difference I had to fork out would be around CHF 61'000 (same in USD) as my C4S was in perfect showroom condition (which is really is). I ended up offering CHF 60'000 (CHF 900 less than the asking price), he went away to "check" something, came back and said he couldn't do it as he had others coming today to have a look at the car (which I find hard to believe tbh).

So now the deal is, that if he doesn't sell it by the end of the day, he will get back to me and probably accept the CHF 60K...

The car came on sale back in August of last year, lowered by 10K now beginning of March and still no sale which I find peculiar. This said, I really hope he get's back to me later today... Crossing my fingers
Old 04-09-2020, 10:08 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts

I have been driving my 2014 TTS for over 3 years. Car has basically been flawless. Just oil changes and any normal recall items.
Car is an amazing vehicle to drive every day. I have owned 4 previous Porsche TT cars and all have been bulletproof.
The 991 TTS is fast, equal to most exotics on the road, handles beautifully and the PCCB's are awesome. Have always been a manual tranny guy but the Porsche PDK is the best tranny of its kind out there.
I occasionally look for reasons to trade just the normal "car itch" but after driving mine I just haven't seen anything I would prefer driving.
Old 04-09-2020, 10:55 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 844 Likes on 573 Posts

s
I am amazed that its noisier. My 997.2S was noisier. I had a Tubi - so maybe that's why. But i find the 991 to be far more "civilized" than the 997. In fact my only complaint was the exhaust was really muted - too little noise. So i fixed that with Kline headers and exhaust.

Is it road noise? If so maybe the tires are worn? Everyone says Michelin's are better. I have Pirelli's and they don't suck. But i will replace them with Michelins.

Are you really willing to risk the deal over $1K? What was the asking?
Old 04-09-2020, 11:55 AM
Frank996

Originally Posted by rodsky
Are you really willing to risk the deal over $1K? What was the asking?
I'm regretting it as we speak... If I don't hear back from him today, I will get back to them on Tuesday - Easter Holidays Friday and Monday - and offer the full price subject to the car still being available...

CHF 109'900 less the trade in...
Old 04-09-2020, 04:05 PM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Received 593 Likes on 333 Posts

I went straight from a hot rod, 700'ish crank hp, built 2001 996 Turbo to a 2014 Turbo S.

That wasn't exactly the next step in the Porsche ownership evolution, rather a huge leap. I don't regret it at all.

I drove a 2016 GT3 and then went and bought another Turbo. Although the GT3 was nice, it just didn't have the torque and power I'm used to and it is IMO, it was too much of a track car (for my street car only needs).

The 991 Turbo S is one of the best supercar values to be had. Performance can be kicked up significantly with little $ (exhaust, tune) and you simply can't beat the performance for the dollar. With that said, the only complaint I've had is the sound does leave a lot to be desired. I went through 3 exhaust setups before I settled on a Europipe system, which I do like the sound of. Some exhausts don't give a great tone/sound, while others do but are also too noisy or create too much drone. Finding the right balance of sound and extended livability was not easy for me.

I have to admit that I'm surprised by the cost of cars there though. Even with 55k miles, they still cost $109k CHF and $113k USD? Is that the going rate in Switzerland? Here in the states, I bought a pristine, single owner, 2014 Turbo S with 14k miles...for $112k.

As far as the dealer, I don't like when they play those sort of games. Any time a dealer tells me that they'll get back to me on my offer if it doesn't sell to someone else (at a higher price...and they're squabbling over $500-$1k on a reasonable offer), I walk away and wait to find another car (and dealer). The other question is what is the value they're giving you for your trade in? They're making money there too. If they're being unreasonable, walk. I always suggest being patient, as there are always cars/deals to be found if you wait.
The following 2 users liked this post by MotoJB:
Frank996 (04-10-2020), MarcusV (02-17-2021)
Old 04-09-2020, 09:52 PM
0luke1
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 157 Posts

Dood. Once you go turbo, you’ll be ruined for anything else.
Frank996 (04-10-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 10:53 PM
Dr Chill
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 167 Posts

I'm regretting it as we speak... If I don't hear back from him today, I will get back to them on Tuesday - Easter Holidays Friday and Monday - and offer the full price subject to the car still being available...

CHF 109'900 less the trade in...

Don't give in. He will come down.
Frank996 (04-10-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 11:08 PM
Baba Ghanoush
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJB
I went straight from a hot rod, 700'ish crank hp, built 2001 996 Turbo to a 2014 Turbo S.

That wasn't exactly the next step in the Porsche ownership evolution, rather a huge leap. I don't regret it at all.

I drove a 2016 GT3 and then went and bought another Turbo. Although the GT3 was nice, it just didn't have the torque and power I'm used to and it is IMO, it was too much of a track car (for my street car only needs).

The 991 Turbo S is one of the best supercar values to be had. Performance can be kicked up significantly with little $ (exhaust, tune) and you simply can't beat the performance for the dollar. With that said, the only complaint I've had is the sound does leave a lot to be desired. I went through 3 exhaust setups before I settled on a Europipe system, which I do like the sound of. Some exhausts don't give a great tone/sound, while others do but are also too noisy or create too much drone. Finding the right balance of sound and extended livability was not easy for me.

I have to admit that I'm surprised by the cost of cars there though. Even with 55k miles, they still cost $109k CHF and $113k USD? Is that the going rate in Switzerland? Here in the states, I bought a pristine, single owner, 2014 Turbo S with 14k miles...for $112k.

As far as the dealer, I don't like when they play those sort of games. Any time a dealer tells me that they'll get back to me on my offer if it doesn't sell to someone else (at a higher price...and they're squabbling over $500-$1k on a reasonable offer), I walk away and wait to find another car (and dealer). The other question is what is the value they're giving you for your trade in? They're making money there too. If they're being unreasonable, walk. I always suggest being patient, as there are always cars/deals to be found if you wait.
Agree with this (especially over $1K). I had a dealer do this with me one time over $500. I told him thanks, but no thanks. 3 days later he called to make a deal. Told him I was no longer interested. I really loved the car, but didn't care for the b.s. and stood on principle. Found a better deal/car less than a month later. Always blows my mind when a dealer will blow up a deal for less than a couple of grand when they will make way more on the back end if they are good to a customer who keeps coming back and buying cars for years to come as well as doing services with the dealership who treats them right as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by Baba Ghanoush:
Frank996 (04-10-2020), MarcusV (02-17-2021)
Old 04-10-2020, 02:15 AM
mwlmd
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Keep us posted! I am sure the dealer will agree to your offer. Especially in this **** covid economy. You might be the only buyer in the world! LOL
Frank996 (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 07:37 AM
Frank996

So, got a mail from the dealer that the 2014 Turbo S is now mine...

For the record, the 997.2 is in mint condition except the alloys needs to be polished up and some correction work to be done (CHF 2’000 = USD 2’000) and a CHF 3’500 service coming up in 22 days so I got a pretty good deal from them taken all into account. I did get a tiny discount as a good will...

So good bye to the 997 forum and now you’re stuck with me in here instead...

I will followup with photos when I get the car.

Thank you all so much for your comments and first hand ownership feedback - this is exactly what I needed... Take care
Old 04-10-2020, 07:46 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,613 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Excellent!
Frank996 (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 10:38 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 826 Likes on 432 Posts

Good, you won't be sorry.
Frank996 (04-10-2020)

Quick Reply: 2014 991.1 Turbo S - To buy or not to buy?