Audiophiles- what are you doing to get the most out of burmester option? - Page 2 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Turbo Technical Discussion Areas > 991 Turbo
Reload this Page >

Audiophiles- what are you doing to get the most out of burmester option?

Notices
991 Turbo Turbo and Turbo S

Audiophiles- what are you doing to get the most out of burmester option?

Old 02-14-2019, 12:08 PM
Jim M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by chronon View Post
I have a couple questions -
-Once you copied CDs via itunes lossless, did you run them via sd card?
-what is to mass load vinyl between the inner skins? I know of dynomat but had never heard that term.
-Why did you disconnect the center speaker?
- Yes, i did run them via SD card.
- Mass loaded vinyl is a thick (about 3/32") semi flexible sheet, comes on a roll. Available from Amazon and other sources. As I understand it Dynomat dampens the vibrations but the mass loaded vinyl blocks out the rest. What ever it does, it made a big difference.
- The center speaker is taking input from both left and right, so to my ear it was just muddling the sound. Now I hear the separation between left and right much better.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:25 PM
Bruce H.
User

Originally Posted by Jim M. View Post
- The center speaker is taking input from both left and right, so to my ear it was just muddling the sound. Now I hear the separation between left and right much better.
I haven't received my car so I can't check but that sounds like a sound center channel logic in the audio system that is creating a center channel for that speaker for improved imaging in the same way Dolby Pro Logic works. In some systems that means extracting and redirecting in-phase information (mostly vocals) from the L and R channels and directing it to the center.

Can that new center channel creation not be deleted in the audio set-up menu, perhaps labeled surround logic or something like that? I would have thought simply disconnecting the speaker itself would mean that redirected information is lost.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:23 PM
chronon
User

- Yes, i did run them via SD card.
- Mass loaded vinyl is a thick (about 3/32") semi flexible sheet, comes on a roll. Available from Amazon and other sources. As I understand it Dynomat dampens the vibrations but the mass loaded vinyl blocks out the rest. What ever it does, it made a big difference.
thanks for all the info. Given the changes you have already made, Iím sure you would also hear a noticeable difference streaming tidal via CarPlay using a cable. Let me know if you do.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:24 AM
Jim M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

thanks for all the info. Given the changes you have already made, Iím sure you would also hear a noticeable difference streaming tidal via CarPlay using a cable. Let me know if you do.
Mine's a 2015, so I don't have CarPlay.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:03 PM
chronon
User

Mine's a 2015, so I don't have CarPlay.
have you tried an iPod? My guess is that you will het higher audio quality with lossless files in the iPod connected via iPod cable. If you already spent money doing other audio mods, this is an inexpensive idea to try.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:13 PM
rodsky
Addict
Rennlist Member

have you tried an iPod? My guess is that you will het higher audio quality with lossless files in the iPod connected via iPod cable. If you already spent money doing other audio mods, this is an inexpensive idea to try.
vs an iPhone connected via a cable?

Anyone else listen to Sirius - i find the sound quality to be awful compared to streaming music (BT or connected), HD radio etc. I a no audiophile, but i do like good sound. I like the Burm..
Old 02-19-2019, 11:56 PM
ace37
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rodsky View Post

Anyone else listen to Sirius - i find the sound quality to be awful compared to streaming music (BT or connected), HD radio etc. I a no audiophile, but i do like good sound. I like the Burm..
I listen to SiriusXM. Audio quality is really awful, agreed. It's a matter of convenience and content; audio quality is a huge minus. According to Wikipedia it has up to a 64kbps bit rate... On the Burmester system it was quite noticeable and so bad that I sometimes would use their internet streaming app in the highest available quality and then send that to the car rather than using the satellite radio directly because it made a noticeable improvement to the sound quality...
Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM
chronon
User

Originally Posted by rodsky View Post

yes iPhone using iPhone lightning cable (not via aux) should have same quality as an iPod. The advantage of the iPod would be that you can los 160gb of files (hundreds of cds in losless quality) and can just leave it in the glovebox. Agree satellite radio has awful quality. Ok for news but a disaster for music.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: