Audiophiles- what are you doing to get the most out of burmester option? - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Turbo Technical Discussion Areas > 991 Turbo
Reload this Page >

Audiophiles- what are you doing to get the most out of burmester option?

Notices
991 Turbo Turbo and Turbo S

Audiophiles- what are you doing to get the most out of burmester option?

 
Old 02-11-2019, 04:29 PM
  #1  
chronon
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 81
Default Audiophiles- what are you doing to get the most out of burmester option?



Iím trying to get the best possible quality and wondering what others are doing. So far, I believe I get the best quality streaming Tidal through a cable via CarPlay. I tried using sd cards with files at cd quality (1411 kbps) but per attached info from manual I think the system may be lowering the quality to 320 kbps which is a noticeable difference. I would rather run my files through an sd card or drive so I donít have to plug in the phone every time. I welcome any ideas!
chronon is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 05:42 PM
  #2  
ace37
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
ace37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SLC, Utah
Posts: 1,569
Default

I played FLAC files at a range of resolutions (usually 24 bit 48kHz) and had no issue. But like you suggest, that doesnít mean it keeps it that way. Perhaps their input processor has a DAC acting as a bottleneck.

My last personally built car stereo sounded quite a bit better than the Burm system but it was a full active system with TA and mic based auto-eq tuning. And it was probably $3-4k in components despite not being anything top of the line. So I guess I thought Burm was nice but not otherworldly good and my expectations caused me to treat it more as a nice stereo than an audiophile sanctuary.

If you want to emphasize the GT traits of the car you could add some MLV/dynamat to quiet the tire roar and really improve the dynamic range of the system. I couldnít bring myself to add the weight, but Iím sure it would have had a huge positive impact on the stereo system performance and my wifeís enjoyment riding in the car.
ace37 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 07:29 PM
  #3  
chronon
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 81
Default

Originally Posted by ace37 View Post
I played FLAC files at a range of resolutions (usually 24 bit 48kHz) and had no issue. But like you suggest, that doesnít mean it keeps it that way. Perhaps their input processor has a DAC acting as a bottleneck.
Did you try using carplay and if so, did you notice any difference? As you indicate, my suspicion is that the porsche DAC has a 320k limitation, so while it reads the files, the quality is not the best. My guess is that If I use Tidal with carplay, I am using the iphone DAC which, while not outstanding, does seem to have a noticeable difference to my ears (mainly in the form of higher dynamic range, lower bass notes and higher trebles).
chronon is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 08:36 PM
  #4  
ace37
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
ace37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SLC, Utah
Posts: 1,569
Default

Originally Posted by chronon View Post
Did you try using carplay and if so, did you notice any difference? As you indicate, my suspicion is that the porsche DAC has a 320k limitation, so while it reads the files, the quality is not the best. My guess is that If I use Tidal with carplay, I am using the iphone DAC which, while not outstanding, does seem to have a noticeable difference to my ears (mainly in the form of higher dynamic range, lower bass notes and higher trebles).
Yes, and no. Usually I used an SD cars with FLAC files though.

Reading the manual section you posted, it looks like that may apply only to the mp3 file format. You might do an experiment. Check a sensitive audio file in 320 mp3 format and then go back to back with the same track in CD quality or better using SD/USB/CarPlay. (Pink Floyd is good for that!) I liked CarPlay but donít like to need to plug it in every time.
ace37 is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 10:59 PM
  #5  
trevorlj
User
 
trevorlj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Abilene, TX.
Posts: 26
Default

We talking 991.1 (PCM 3.1) or 991.2?

About to geek out here...hold onto your hats!

While everything at the house is FLAC I have a duplicate library of AAC/M4A ripped with QAAC using the iTunes encoder inside of dBpoweramp's CD Ripper for CD's. I keep my distance from Apple but iTunes's encoder is as good as it gets at ~320 kbps / Constrained Variable Bit Rate (cVBR). I use JRiver Media Center 24 with the same encoder/settings to squash my (non-brickwalled) Hi-Res digital library down to 44.1/48 KHz files (PCM 3.1 plays either sample rate). I just use the CD rip version if it has better Dynamic Range.

https://sites.google.com/site/qaacpage/
https://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-m4a.htm

Last edited by trevorlj; 02-11-2019 at 11:31 PM.
trevorlj is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 12:41 AM
  #6  
Elliott991TS
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Elliott991TS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 235
Default

Originally Posted by trevorlj View Post

While everything at the house is FLAC I have a duplicate library of AAC/M4A ripped with QAAC using the iTunes encoder inside of dBpoweramp's CD Ripper for CD's. I keep my distance from Apple but iTunes's encoder is as good as it gets at ~320 kbps / Constrained Variable Bit Rate (cVBR). I use JRiver Media Center 24 with the same encoder/settings to squash my (non-brickwalled) Hi-Res digital library down to 44.1/48 KHz files (PCM 3.1 plays either sample rate). I just use the CD rip version if it has better Dynamic Range.
haha, wow, no more 8 track? lol
Elliott991TS is online now  
Old 02-12-2019, 02:14 AM
  #7  
chronon
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 81
Default

Originally Posted by ace37 View Post

Yes, and no. Usually I used an SD cars with FLAC files though.

Reading the manual section you posted, it looks like that may apply only to the mp3 file format. You might do an experiment. Check a sensitive audio file in 320 mp3 format and then go back to back with the same track in CD quality or better using SD/USB/CarPlay. (Pink Floyd is good for that!) I liked CarPlay but donít like to need to plug it in every time.
I will do that test. Note that per the manual
it seems that the 320kbps apples to ALL file formats, not just mp3s. As you suggest, it seems that while the car can read all formats, the dac is only good for up to 320kbps.
chronon is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 02:18 AM
  #8  
chronon
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 81
Default

Originally Posted by trevorlj View Post
We talking 991.1 (PCM 3.1) or 991.2?

About to geek out here...hold onto your hats!

While everything at the house is FLAC I have a duplicate library of AAC/M4A ripped with QAAC using the iTunes encoder inside of dBpoweramp's CD Ripper for CD's. I keep my distance from Apple but iTunes's encoder is as good as it gets at ~320 kbps / Constrained Variable Bit Rate (cVBR). I use JRiver Media Center 24 with the same encoder/settings to squash my (non-brickwalled) Hi-Res digital library down to 44.1/48 KHz files (PCM 3.1 plays either sample rate). I just use the CD rip version if it has better Dynamic Range.

https://sites.google.com/site/qaacpage/
https://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-m4a.htm
this is for a 991.2 2017 car. Am I understanding that you use the CD player to play you files after you convert them as described? Iím looking for a solution where I can use a sd cards or flash drive but per the manual those may only playback st 320kbps rehardness of what format or sampling rate was used. Iím thinking that another option could be to buy an old 160gb iPod and load apple lossless files. Thoughts?
chronon is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 02:27 AM
  #9  
lowpue
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
lowpue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,464
Default

I wish I could be like you guys....but even though I have BM option, I don't use it. I just enjoy the sounds, smell and g's of the car so immensely that I just don't want to get distracted by anything not generated by the car mechanicals.
lowpue is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 04:33 AM
  #10  
ace37
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
ace37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SLC, Utah
Posts: 1,569
Default

Originally Posted by lowpue View Post
I wish I could be like you guys....but even though I have BM option, I don't use it. I just enjoy the sounds, smell and g's of the car so immensely that I just don't want to get distracted by anything not generated by the car mechanicals.
I always find that the right audio track enhances an emotional experience or creates a new one in its own right

and acoustics are quite mechanical! 😉
ace37 is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 11:05 AM
  #11  
Jim M.
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Jim M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: DFW Texas
Posts: 3,294
Default

I copied all my CD's via iTunes lossless. I also disconnected the center speaker in the dash. However I disassembled the doors and added Dynomat and mass loaded vinyl between the inner skins. That made the biggest difference, before the road noise was coming from everywhere, now it all comes from the rear. The Turbo S has more than enough power that I can't even tell the added weight. I now hear notes that I never heard beforehand the bass is much stronger and clearer. It made such a difference that I plan to remove the entire rear interior and apply the dynomat and mass loaded vinyl to the rear area.
Jim M. is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 01:12 PM
  #12  
chronon
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 81
Default

Originally Posted by Jim M. View Post
I copied all my CD's via iTunes lossless. I also disconnected the center speaker in the dash. However I disassembled the doors and added Dynomat and mass loaded vinyl between the inner skins. That made the biggest difference, before the road noise was coming from everywhere, now it all comes from the rear. The Turbo S has more than enough power that I can't even tell the added weight. I now hear notes that I never heard beforehand the bass is much stronger and clearer. It made such a difference that I plan to remove the entire rear interior and apply the dynomat and mass loaded vinyl to the rear area.
I have a couple questions -
-Once you copied CDs via itunes lossless, did you run them via sd card?
-what is to mass load vinyl between the inner skins? I know of dynomat but had never heard that term.
-Why did you disconnect the center speaker?

chronon is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 02:23 PM
  #13  
lowpue
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
lowpue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,464
Default

Originally Posted by ace37 View Post

I always find that the right audio track enhances an emotional experience or creates a new one in its own right

and acoustics are quite mechanical! 😉
Good point....lol...as a mechanical engineer by training i should have known that
lowpue is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 05:12 PM
  #14  
chronon
User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 81
Default UPDATED RESULTS

So the question was driving me crazy and decided to do a test with the following variables:
USB with 320k files
USB with 1411k files (apple lossless)
Aux with Pono player 1411k files (apple lossless)
CD
CarPlay with Tidal at CD quality 1411k

I tested the following bands to have a range of dynamic range: Bjork (debut), Pink Floyd (Dark side of the moon), Supertramp (Best of).
Here are my conclusions:

#1 Best Overall - CarPlay w/tidal connected via cable. Dynamic range is great and bass is punchier than all other options (very noticeable). It does not perform as well as CD on very high notes but it is certainly more convenient. 9/10

#2 CD - As expected sound is very balanced. There is very little difference vs Tidal via carplay. It excels on high notes (eg harmonica on logical song by supertramp) but I am not about to start carrying all my CDs in the car. 8/10

#3 Pono Player via Aux - overall good sound but you can hear a bit of hiss on quiet parts. The problem is that since it is going into aux you cannot control via car screen. 7/10

#4 USB - OK sound and, as predicted, there is NO difference in 320k files vs 1411 apple lossless files. It seems that as per the manual, the car maximum resolution is 320k (As an analogy to those not as familiar audio, it is like playing 4k DVD on a black and white TV.....the images will be black and white no matter how good is your source). 5/10

Hope this helps others to get the most out of their system.

chronon is offline  
Old 02-13-2019, 06:36 PM
  #15  
urbanscribe
User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 144
Default

Get pilot sports 4s instead of the pZeros for less noise. Best investment alternative
urbanscribe is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: