Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Audiophiles- what are you doing to get the most out of burmester option?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 11:08 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 421 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by chronon
I have a couple questions -
-Once you copied CDs via itunes lossless, did you run them via sd card?
-what is to mass load vinyl between the inner skins? I know of dynomat but had never heard that term.
-Why did you disconnect the center speaker?
- Yes, i did run them via SD card.
- Mass loaded vinyl is a thick (about 3/32") semi flexible sheet, comes on a roll. Available from Amazon and other sources. As I understand it Dynomat dampens the vibrations but the mass loaded vinyl blocks out the rest. What ever it does, it made a big difference.
- The center speaker is taking input from both left and right, so to my ear it was just muddling the sound. Now I hear the separation between left and right much better.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:25 AM
Bruce H.
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim M.
- The center speaker is taking input from both left and right, so to my ear it was just muddling the sound. Now I hear the separation between left and right much better.
I haven't received my car so I can't check but that sounds like a sound center channel logic in the audio system that is creating a center channel for that speaker for improved imaging in the same way Dolby Pro Logic works. In some systems that means extracting and redirecting in-phase information (mostly vocals) from the L and R channels and directing it to the center.

Can that new center channel creation not be deleted in the audio set-up menu, perhaps labeled surround logic or something like that? I would have thought simply disconnecting the speaker itself would mean that redirected information is lost.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:23 PM
chronon
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

- Yes, i did run them via SD card.
- Mass loaded vinyl is a thick (about 3/32") semi flexible sheet, comes on a roll. Available from Amazon and other sources. As I understand it Dynomat dampens the vibrations but the mass loaded vinyl blocks out the rest. What ever it does, it made a big difference.
thanks for all the info. Given the changes you have already made, I’m sure you would also hear a noticeable difference streaming tidal via CarPlay using a cable. Let me know if you do.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:24 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 421 Posts

thanks for all the info. Given the changes you have already made, I’m sure you would also hear a noticeable difference streaming tidal via CarPlay using a cable. Let me know if you do.
Mine's a 2015, so I don't have CarPlay.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:03 PM
chronon
Instructor

Mine's a 2015, so I don't have CarPlay.
have you tried an iPod? My guess is that you will het higher audio quality with lossless files in the iPod connected via iPod cable. If you already spent money doing other audio mods, this is an inexpensive idea to try.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:13 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 795 Likes on 545 Posts

have you tried an iPod? My guess is that you will het higher audio quality with lossless files in the iPod connected via iPod cable. If you already spent money doing other audio mods, this is an inexpensive idea to try.
vs an iPhone connected via a cable?

Anyone else listen to Sirius - i find the sound quality to be awful compared to streaming music (BT or connected), HD radio etc. I a no audiophile, but i do like good sound. I like the Burm..
Old 02-19-2019, 10:56 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky

Anyone else listen to Sirius - i find the sound quality to be awful compared to streaming music (BT or connected), HD radio etc. I a no audiophile, but i do like good sound. I like the Burm..
I listen to SiriusXM. Audio quality is really awful, agreed. It's a matter of convenience and content; audio quality is a huge minus. According to Wikipedia it has up to a 64kbps bit rate... On the Burmester system it was quite noticeable and so bad that I sometimes would use their internet streaming app in the highest available quality and then send that to the car rather than using the satellite radio directly because it made a noticeable improvement to the sound quality...
Old 02-20-2019, 01:38 PM
chronon
Instructor

Originally Posted by rodsky

yes iPhone using iPhone lightning cable (not via aux) should have same quality as an iPod. The advantage of the iPod would be that you can los 160gb of files (hundreds of cds in losless quality) and can just leave it in the glovebox. Agree satellite radio has awful quality. Ok for news but a disaster for music.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:44 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm trying this new to me streaming service.

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/discover

So far I am finding the SQ is better than Tidal via Car Play cable connection. Though it's not quite as "nimble" for searching and creating play lists. Not sure I will stick with it over Tidal just yet. And BTW, if you're a veteran, you can get a significant discount from Tidal

HTH
Old 08-27-2019, 03:10 AM
koven
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 172 Posts

Best sound is flac files on sd card
Old 08-29-2019, 11:05 AM
chronon
Instructor

Default Flac not better in this case

Originally Posted by koven
Best sound is flac files on sd card
Per original posting, it appears that the dac in the car down converts all formats to 320k so even flac will not sound as good. Do a comparison of your flac files vs the original cd and you will hear a difference.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:47 PM
trevorlj
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Quick note...I picked up a fast 128 GB USB 3.1 drive for my tunes but it didn't work with my 991.1. I forgot that PCM 3.1 only sees FAT and FAT32 file systems (exFAT and NTFS are a no go). Reformatted it to ~119GB with FAT32 using this software:

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/ind...?guiformat.htm

Still no dice. Had to go into Windows System > Windows Administrator Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management to delete the 128 GB partition then create a new 32768 MB partition. After that FAT32 became available as an option. Everything works fine now.

So yeah...if you want to save some time loading music onto your USB drive keep in mind you're still going to be limited to a max of 32GB of tunes on a 991.1/PCM 3.1. I'm not sad though...write speed on this drive is way quicker (~55 MB/sec) and I can still load up around 2800 songs.
Old 11-18-2020, 09:46 AM
Steve Cole
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

If you can hear the difference between properly encoded 320k files and any other source, you have a better ear than I.

But you probably do, since I've played bar bands for years.

Quick Reply: Audiophiles- what are you doing to get the most out of burmester option?