2019 991.2 Turbo S weight loss plan.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:10 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
Thanks to your great help, I have the Kline before the car !
Haha I love when we do that! We were able to verify the benefits and the wheels were a big one. Love the HRE R101LW's. Did 6 cars in one month

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 02-10-2019, 09:58 PM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Received 1,091 Likes on 842 Posts

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Haha I love when we do that! We were able to verify the benefits and the wheels were a big one. Love the HRE R101LW's. Did 6 cars in one month
They are on my radar screen. Are the new compound NO Factory Pirelli’s still a bad tire for launch traction?
Old 02-10-2019, 10:13 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Better. The MPS4 most will agree is the best street tire available currently and it’s light
For more out of the hole R888 but there are a few mild compromises and weight and ride quality.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:24 PM
bigrpowr
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 227 Posts

mine weighs 3700 on the dot with by-design stage 4 , full tank , methanol , stock wheels and PS4 tires , kline incolnel headers and catless exhaust. thats without driver.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:33 PM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Originally Posted by bigrpowr
mine weighs 3700 on the dot with by-design stage 4 , full tank , methanol , stock wheels and PS4 tires , kline incolnel headers and catless exhaust. thats without driver.

And big power to back it up !
Old 02-10-2019, 10:36 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Why would you go through the trouble to lose 100 lb (maybe)? TTS is a heavier car, but it’s designed to work...power suspension etc are tuned for it. It’s got so much power that I doubt anyone would notice the weight. AWD and all the other tech keep it nimble.

What exactly are you hoping to achieve? People will strip out cars for track use...that has purpose. Trying to reduce the weight in street cars is silly...especially a TTS which is the ultimate street car. Seriously 14 lb for a better sound system is nothing...you’ll never notice the difference...surely you don’t think the single thing that will make you like the car is lower weight?

Maybe consider a T or base model if light weight is the goal...or a cayman. If you’re unhappy even before buying a car and considering modding...you’re buying the wrong car...

Extreme light weight is important in cheap slow cars like Miata etc...not overpowered super cars. If anything the extra weight helps it keep the power dowb.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:42 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I wonder if I can eat and Inconel carbon fiber chips I can lose this spare tire that came with the kids?
Old 02-10-2019, 11:32 PM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Originally Posted by minthral
Why would you go through the trouble to lose 100 lb (maybe)? TTS is a heavier car, but it’s designed to work...power suspension etc are tuned for it. It’s got so much power that I doubt anyone would notice the weight. AWD and all the other tech keep it nimble.

What exactly are you hoping to achieve? People will strip out cars for track use...that has purpose. Trying to reduce the weight in street cars is silly...especially a TTS which is the ultimate street car. Seriously 14 lb for a better sound system is nothing...you’ll never notice the difference...surely you don’t think the single thing that will make you like the car is lower weight?

Maybe consider a T or base model if light weight is the goal...or a cayman. If you’re unhappy even before buying a car and considering modding...you’re buying the wrong car...

Extreme light weight is important in cheap slow cars like Miata etc...not overpowered super cars. If anything the extra weight helps it keep the power dowb.
In 42 years of owning/modding cars up to 1500hp, we'll just have to agree to disagree.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:32 PM
bigrpowr
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 227 Posts

And big power to back it up !
this would be correct, 701 WHP before the clutch. Sam better get me more power, quick!
Old 02-10-2019, 11:33 PM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
I wonder if I can eat and Inconel carbon fiber chips I can lose this spare tire that came with the kids?
Breakfast of Champions !
Old 02-11-2019, 12:14 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 511 Likes on 229 Posts

My first suggestion is always to leave the car alone and modify nothing but people enjoy doing it so....I ordered the Kline Inconel Exhaust for my Turbo. As to wheels, HRE is a designer wheel, BBS is a finely engineered wheel. I would always go BBS. Do they make a magnesium wheel for the Turbo? As to battery, I would look at the new Anti Gravity that should be out in March. Of course, places such as By Design have various other options for the Turbo that you might consider.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:00 AM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Originally Posted by Robert Linton
My first suggestion is always to leave the car alone and modify nothing but people enjoy doing it so....I ordered the Kline Inconel Exhaust for my Turbo. As to wheels, HRE is a designer wheel, BBS is a finely engineered wheel. I would always go BBS. Do they make a magnesium wheel for the Turbo? As to battery, I would look at the new Anti Gravity that should be out in March. Of course, places such as By Design have various other options for the Turbo that you might consider.
I’ll take a look at BBS. I’ve used Vossen and HRE in the past but it sounds like BBS is a solid option. Nothing against AntiGravity, but I’ve had bad luck in the past with the “Newer Kid on The Block”. I’ve used Braille for over 10 years without a failure. Porsche Racing uses Braille along with a lot of other racing teams. Swept the podium at 24h. I have an 18lb Lithium that I’ll start with. It’s a little heavier than necessary, but also has 56ah of storage.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:47 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 511 Likes on 229 Posts

Truthfully I have used Braille too but I wanted to try something new. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. As to BBS, other than the Carbon Fiber wheels with the Turbo S Exclusive, I have used BBS everywhere and they are the best engineered wheels for more severe use and I like their understated elegance.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:22 AM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

In 42 years of owning/modding cars up to 1500hp, we'll just have to agree to disagree.
So you're modding for the fun of it or trying achieve something here?

For the handful of cars I modified (some more than others), I learned...

- I usually mod cars to fix something I'm not happy with (lack of power, missing options etc)
- The benefits of the mods were not significant (often subjective, placebo, and over-hyped on forums)
- Caused problems/ quirks I wasn't expecting
- Got cosmetic damage in the process or removing/reinstalling
- Reputable mechanics frowned upon anything aftermarket
- OEM designs are well engineered..designed and tested for a reason
- Messing with one part cascaded needing to change more (balance got messed up)
- In practical sense warranty gets void despite laws saying aftermarket parts can't unless proven (catch being you pay the lawyer to fight a large corporation)
- Really expensive and does zero for value
- Dealers/resale don't want and avoid a modded car on used market
- Removing mods then reselling them is a real hassle... might as well factor in labor cut 2x when getting install
- Better to spend more money buying a car I'm 90% happy with up front

I'd love to be educated on why exactly you think dropping 100 LB will help or change the fundamental experience of a TTS. Are you just trying to please a weight scale? I know some people mod cars just to get a dyno HP number for bragging rights... Hard to imagine anyone thinking the TTS is too slow, not nimble enough, or rides bad so they should drop some weight. Have you driven one before or a S/GTS carerra? They got so much torque you're wanting more traction..'car feels heavy' doesn't cross my mind. Tech like rear steering, fancy diffs, awd, smart suspension etc make a big difference where weight is less of a factor unlike old analog cars. For example PDCC adds weight, but it makes car ride better in all conditions... rear steering adds weight but it makes the car more nimble.

I'm just trying to understand why is someone who is able to afford a TTS (completely loaded and one of the fastest cars in the world) is planning on modding even before purchasing the car? This is a type of car you pay a lot of front so it should have everything you want. Its literally one of the best cars you can buy. If I were to buy one I'd never consider modding it...seems you know what you're getting into so by all means.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:24 AM
onfireTTS
Drifting

Originally Posted by minthral
So you're modding for the fun of it or trying achieve something here?

For the handful of cars I modified (some more than others), I learned...

- I usually mod cars to fix something I'm not happy with (lack of power, missing options etc)
- The benefits of the mods were not significant (often subjective, placebo, and over-hyped on forums)
- Caused problems/ quirks I wasn't expecting
- Got cosmetic damage in the process or removing/reinstalling
- Reputable mechanics frowned upon anything aftermarket
- OEM designs are well engineered..designed and tested for a reason
- Messing with one part cascaded needing to change more (balance got messed up)
- In practical sense warranty gets void despite laws saying aftermarket parts can't unless proven (catch being you pay the lawyer to fight a large corporation)
- Really expensive and does zero for value
- Dealers/resale don't want and avoid a modded car on used market
- Removing mods then reselling them is a real hassle... might as well factor in labor cut 2x when getting install
- Better to spend more money buying a car I'm 90% happy with up front

I'd love to be educated on why exactly you think dropping 100 LB will help or change the fundamental experience of a TTS. Are you just trying to please a weight scale? I know some people mod cars just to get a dyno HP number for bragging rights... Hard to imagine anyone thinking the TTS is too slow, not nimble enough, or rides bad so they should drop some weight. Have you driven one before or a S/GTS carerra? They got so much torque you're wanting more traction..'car feels heavy' doesn't cross my mind. Tech like rear steering, fancy diffs, awd, smart suspension etc make a big difference where weight is less of a factor unlike old analog cars. For example PDCC adds weight, but it makes car ride better in all conditions... rear steering adds weight but it makes the car more nimble.

I'm just trying to understand why is someone who is able to afford a TTS (completely loaded and one of the fastest cars in the world) is planning on modding even before purchasing the car? This is a type of car you pay a lot of front so it should have everything you want. Its literally one of the best cars you can buy. If I were to buy one I'd never consider modding it...seems you know what you're getting into so by all means.
I'm sorry, but I can not help you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2019 991.2 Turbo S weight loss plan.