New to this forum - looking to purschase TTS - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Turbo Technical Discussion Areas > 991 Turbo
Reload this Page >

New to this forum - looking to purschase TTS

Notices
991 Turbo Turbo and Turbo S

New to this forum - looking to purschase TTS

 
Old 10-12-2018, 02:44 AM
  #1  
lowpue
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
lowpue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,483
Default New to this forum - looking to purschase TTS

New to Forum but looking to upgrade my C4S daily driver. I found a 2014 TurboS with just over 20K miles and it looks and drives amazing. However, the car has a Fabspeed Cobb ECU tune and Fabspeed cats and X pipe and fabspeed intake as well. Previous owner says its likely and additional 120-140HP. This would be my first turbo and so I have some things I'd like opinions on:
1) The car was never tracked but did run the quartermile dragstrip a few times.
2) I noticed that the Auto stop/start function doesn't work....likely from the tune that disabled it.
3) There are microcrack on the ceramic rotors when I shine a light on them that I don't see on my huracan rotors.
4) I am sure all the power comes from the ECU tune increasing boost....I can here the gates dumping between shifts.
The car runs great and sounds great but should I worry about any of these mods?

Anything else I should check out.

Thanks in advance.
lowpue is offline  
Old 10-12-2018, 09:47 AM
  #2  
Penn4S
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Penn4S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Pennsylvania.
Posts: 2,308
Default

I moved from a 4S to a 14' TTS. I did own 4 previous Porsche TT's of 996&997 vintage. So I missed have a TT. The 14 TTS is a great car. Make sure you really look at service records. These cars are usually not driven extensively so low mileage examples and well taken care of cars are out there. 14, 15, & 16 cars are basically the same car very small changes.
Cars are lightening quick in stock form. I also have Cobb tune with PDK Upgrade. I would recommend one thing if you do decide on this car. Use the Cobb AP to uninstall the tune. Then go through the install process yourself. There are maps for Stage 2 both Sport and Aggressive. Sport is a more subtle tune, same hp as Aggressive but different attitude. Run both and see which one matches your driving best. Also after installing the PDK Upgrade run the Relearn program. It really smooths out the PDK shifting and makes them quick and sharp.
As far as the exhaust I'm not a big Fabspeed fan but to each his own. The Kline and Europipe exhausts are, in my opinion, better overall quality and the sound more befitting a Porsche.
Check the car out from top to tail and definitely look at service records. Other than that the TT cars are rock solid. Good luck.
Penn4S is online now  
Old 10-12-2018, 11:57 AM
  #3  
lowpue
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
lowpue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,483
Default

Originally Posted by Penn4S View Post
I moved from a 4S to a 14' TTS. I did own 4 previous Porsche TT's of 996&997 vintage. So I missed have a TT. The 14 TTS is a great car. Make sure you really look at service records. These cars are usually not driven extensively so low mileage examples and well taken care of cars are out there. 14, 15, & 16 cars are basically the same car very small changes.
Cars are lightening quick in stock form. I also have Cobb tune with PDK Upgrade. I would recommend one thing if you do decide on this car. Use the Cobb AP to uninstall the tune. Then go through the install process yourself. There are maps for Stage 2 both Sport and Aggressive. Sport is a more subtle tune, same hp as Aggressive but different attitude. Run both and see which one matches your driving best. Also after installing the PDK Upgrade run the Relearn program. It really smooths out the PDK shifting and makes them quick and sharp.
As far as the exhaust I'm not a big Fabspeed fan but to each his own. The Kline and Europipe exhausts are, in my opinion, better overall quality and the sound more befitting a Porsche.
Check the car out from top to tail and definitely look at service records. Other than that the TT cars are rock solid. Good luck.
Thanks...this is super useful!

lowpue is offline  
Old 10-12-2018, 12:32 PM
  #4  
guab
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 450
Default

Hey lowpue -- do some research on FabSpeed before you settle in on a car that has those modifications. I actually really liked the one guy (John I think?) from Fabspeed (no longer there), but ended up going with Dundon for my 981 Spyder. I really like Kline. No experience with Europipe.

Just curious -- have you driven a '17 C4S? With a cobb tune it'll likely be right there with a 991.1 TTS, have more warranty, newer tech (apple carplay, etc), slightly more responsive. Just might be worth driving at least as the first two years of depreciation have kicked in probably at this point. Otherwise, can't go wrong with the TTS. I would just ensure to buy CPO, have a PPI, and a paint meter reading on it. As others have pointed out, look at service records if they have them.
guab is offline  
Old 10-12-2018, 12:52 PM
  #5  
sechsgang
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
sechsgang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: ...PA...
Posts: 2,505
Default

The fabspeed guys are great when it comes to these cars. The stuff is all made in the US short of the HJS cats everyone uses from Germany and they are my go to company for exhaust products now. Stuff should all be great on the car you're looking at and it should sound mean. Kline is great, just a different tone and approach, I've had both. Hard to beat a car that's already got everything great on it!
sechsgang is offline  
Old 10-12-2018, 04:46 PM
  #6  
Penn4S
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Penn4S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Pennsylvania.
Posts: 2,308
Default

Originally Posted by guab View Post
Hey lowpue -- do some research on FabSpeed before you settle in on a car that has those modifications. I actually really liked the one guy (John I think?) from Fabspeed (no longer there), but ended up going with Dundon for my 981 Spyder. I really like Kline. No experience with Europipe.

Just curious -- have you driven a '17 C4S? With a cobb tune it'll likely be right there with a 991.1 TTS, have more warranty, newer tech (apple carplay, etc), slightly more responsive. Just might be worth driving at least as the first two years of depreciation have kicked in probably at this point. Otherwise, can't go wrong with the TTS. I would just ensure to buy CPO, have a PPI, and a paint meter reading on it. As others have pointed out, look at service records if they have them.
A 17 C4S with a tune will not compare at all to the TTS especially with a tune. With a Cobb you are pushing over 600 hp. The stock TTS is 560 hp not counting the boost function and an under 3 second car to 60. I really like the C4S but a TTS it is not not even in 2014 form.

Also certainly not bashing Fabspeed but I don't believe some of the outrageous claims of hp gain from an exhaust and like mentioned above the tone is not to my liking. But if you like it that is all that counts.
Penn4S is online now  
Old 10-12-2018, 06:21 PM
  #7  
lowpue
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
lowpue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,483
Default

Thanks guys....I am looking at this for a daily driver since I have another car more for the thrill on weekends so I am less sensitive about having all the tuning and after market stuff (though I don't mind it .
My bigger concern is reliability and longevity.

BTW....guab, Dundon built my 2000 996....the car is essentially a high performance 997 with 996 body. THey are great guys and your reminded me I should get Charles dundon's opinion.
lowpue is offline  
Old 10-12-2018, 10:46 PM
  #8  
Penn4S
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Penn4S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Pennsylvania.
Posts: 2,308
Default

Realizability is top notch. TTS are strong. For a DD a great cruising car that is stupid fast. Have had mine 3 years all I've done are oil changes and regular maintenance.
Penn4S is online now  
Old 10-15-2018, 12:07 AM
  #9  
bigrpowr
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
bigrpowr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: So Cal
Posts: 409
Default

Originally Posted by lowpue View Post
Thanks guys....I am looking at this for a daily driver since I have another car more for the thrill on weekends so I am less sensitive about having all the tuning and after market stuff (though I don't mind it .
My bigger concern is reliability and longevity.

BTW....guab, Dundon built my 2000 996....the car is essentially a high performance 997 with 996 body. THey are great guys and your reminded me I should get Charles dundon's opinion.
i wouldnt sweat the tune in the least, i'd call it saving you a step . i would just focus on the car and it's records , if that all checks out go with your gut. if you dont like the exhaust note, change it and sell the fabspeed. these cars are nasty and a tuned C4S wont touch a stock TTS , no way .
bigrpowr is offline  
Old 10-15-2018, 11:45 AM
  #10  
guab
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 450
Default

Originally Posted by Penn4S View Post
A 17 C4S with a tune will not compare at all to the TTS especially with a tune. With a Cobb you are pushing over 600 hp. The stock TTS is 560 hp not counting the boost function and an under 3 second car to 60. I really like the C4S but a TTS it is not not even in 2014 form.

Also certainly not bashing Fabspeed but I don't believe some of the outrageous claims of hp gain from an exhaust and like mentioned above the tone is not to my liking. But if you like it that is all that counts.
I wasn't aware the 991.1 TTS had overboost for 30 seconds. Probably adds another 40/50 horsepower though for 30 seconds which is a good bit.

Looking at the numbers, I see:
- C4S Tuned with an OTS Cobb stage 1 would put out roughly the same power to a 2014 TTS in stock form, sans overboost use.
- Overboost in the TTS adds more horsepower, so that makes the delta larger.
- The cars are roughly 6/10th's of a second to 60 apart in stock form (PDK Launch Control). This delta would shrink with the tune.

Power isn't everything to everybody. I just figured with a tune, it's pretty close to a 991.1 TTS. I still think it is. It's not identical, but I think it's close enough that some people may value the additional warranty duration and newer tech (car play, etc) if looking at CPO options.

Then again, on the flip side many people do want the best of the best if they're looking at the Turbo anyway, and the 991.1 TTS will depreciate less than the 4S.

Last edited by guab; 10-15-2018 at 05:28 PM.
guab is offline  
Old 10-15-2018, 05:20 PM
  #11  
Harry Da Hamster
User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 355
Default

Originally Posted by Penn4S View Post
A 17 C4S with a tune will not compare at all to the TTS especially with a tune. With a Cobb you are pushing over 600 hp. The stock TTS is 560 hp not counting the boost function and an under 3 second car to 60. I really like the C4S but a TTS it is not not even in 2014 form.

Also certainly not bashing Fabspeed but I don't believe some of the outrageous claims of hp gain from an exhaust and like mentioned above the tone is not to my liking. But if you like it that is all that counts.
You would be surprised what a base 991.2 Carrera can push with relatively basic mods. I'm hearing 600 horsepower to the wheels which translates to ~690 brake horsepower (the way manufacturers rate horsepower). That's more than my 991.1 Turbo S with By Design Stage 4 no methanol.
Harry Da Hamster is offline  
Old 10-15-2018, 05:42 PM
  #12  
Randyc151
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Randyc151's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 889
Default

A few things: 1) The Cobb and Fabspeed tune is perfectly reliable. If you were concerned about reliability, you can de-tune the Cobb software back to OEM. 2) The microcracking in the brakes is normal, and comes from the factory that way. Don't let it bother you at all. 3) The TTS is a league beyond the C4S, not even close. If you like the C4S for a DD, that's fine, but it's not nearly the same experience or performance. 4) This Porsche TTS may not be quite as sexy aesthetically as the Huracan, but it will definitely blow it off the road or track. Thrill is subjective, but I get more thrill from my TTS than I would a Huracan...which is why I bought it instead. 5) Enjoy!
Randyc151 is offline  
Old 10-15-2018, 07:25 PM
  #13  
jp884
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
jp884's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 87
Default

I wouldn't be too worried about the mods. Porsche's are pretty bullet proof. I have a Fabspeed exhaust on my TTS and I really like it. The stock exhaust just was not enough for my liking. The only problem I have is a droning sound at low RPM in the cabin but that's probably normal for most aftermarket exhausts that enhance performance. If you like it, buy it and drive the crap out of it. It's my DD and I look forward to my daily drive to work every morning.
jp884 is offline  
Old 10-16-2018, 12:29 AM
  #14  
ch33rio
New User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 4
Default

Originally Posted by lowpue View Post
New to Forum but looking to upgrade my C4S daily driver. I found a 2014 TurboS with just over 20K miles and it looks and drives amazing. However, the car has a Fabspeed Cobb ECU tune and Fabspeed cats and X pipe and fabspeed intake as well. Previous owner says its likely and additional 120-140HP. This would be my first turbo and so I have some things I'd like opinions on:
1) The car was never tracked but did run the quartermile dragstrip a few times.
2) I noticed that the Auto stop/start function doesn't work....likely from the tune that disabled it.
3) There are microcrack on the ceramic rotors when I shine a light on them that I don't see on my huracan rotors.
4) I am sure all the power comes from the ECU tune increasing boost....I can here the gates dumping between shifts.
The car runs great and sounds great but should I worry about any of these mods?

Anything else I should check out.

Thanks in advance.
1) this isn't a problem. did you see the youtube video of the guy doing launching his car 50 times in a row and the car ran perfectly fine. I don't think any of us would abuse our motor and tranny to that extent, EVER.
2) Auto stop/start - there is a button on the center console that enables/disables it. It doesn't always engage, it depends on the battery charge and i'm sure a few other things. I always have mine disabled. just a fuel efficiency thing.
3) hairline cracks are normal with the brakes. just make sure there are no chips or chunks missing (small chips are ok up to a certain size).
4) the "gate" is just the blowoff valve. when youre under boost and let off the gas or shift, the throttle body closes and the excess boost is dumped making the pshh sound.

nothing to really worry about, however, please know that the sample size for problems/reliability issues is pretty small. There aren't that many 991 turbos in existence and most just don't get driven that often.

the mods you listed are pretty basic and an exhaust with ecu tune are usually the first set of mods owners do.

ch33rio is offline  
Old 10-16-2018, 12:37 AM
  #15  
lowpue
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
lowpue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,483
Default

Originally Posted by Randyc151 View Post
A few things: 1) The Cobb and Fabspeed tune is perfectly reliable. If you were concerned about reliability, you can de-tune the Cobb software back to OEM. 2) The microcracking in the brakes is normal, and comes from the factory that way. Don't let it bother you at all. 3) The TTS is a league beyond the C4S, not even close. If you like the C4S for a DD, that's fine, but it's not nearly the same experience or performance. 4) This Porsche TTS may not be quite as sexy aesthetically as the Huracan, but it will definitely blow it off the road or track. Thrill is subjective, but I get more thrill from my TTS than I would a Huracan...which is why I bought it instead. 5) Enjoy!
Yeah...I wonder about that since I will still plan on keeping my Huracan. The Huracan does have more of a visceral feeling then any car I have ever owned including my 991 GT3 however, with the tune and fabspeed upgrades the Turbo does seem to capture a nice balance for the a DD that the Huracan could never be and still provide equal if not better performance.

On a side note, I did get a PPI done today and the car checked out good except the tech found evidence of paintwork....going to meter the paint again since I did not see it the first time I metered. Also tracked down the previous owner who I trust and he was not aware of any either. So if anyone has thoughts on this it would be appreciated.

And JP884....I do love the car!

lowpue is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: