Sponsored by: Road Spy

991.2 Turbo Spoiler failure/stuck

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 08:10 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,857 Likes on 1,523 Posts

Originally Posted by Mercuriell
I guess just replacing the bladder would not have fixed the problem in Big Swole's case as the problem seemed to be with an adjacent sensor or control box. I suspect this a microswitch that outputs deployment status to a cpu. Assuming of course that this has fixed the problem 😳
I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was a $2 microswitch as the root cause...
The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (07-24-2021)
Old 07-24-2021, 08:24 PM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

Received 491 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was a $2 microswitch as the root cause...
That’s my hunch and why I would love to see an autopsy on a removed front spoiler!
Old 07-24-2021, 11:07 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,109 Likes on 1,329 Posts

That’s my hunch and why I would love to see an autopsy on a removed front spoiler!
I kept mine... We may just get to see it open.

I'll post pics tmrw. and y'all can guide me to what you want to see opened up.
The following 2 users liked this post by Big Swole:
Mercuriell (07-24-2021), r00t61 (07-25-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 08:19 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Here is the quick look at what was replaced. I only had a few mins. to look at it.

Old 07-28-2021, 01:01 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was a $2 Chinese microswitch as the root cause...
FIFY.

Old 07-29-2021, 04:06 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

After multiple visits to my dealer that did NOT fix my spoiler's faults, I insisted they re-enter the car's operating system.
That fixed it! After some weird problems on my Panamsra that were similarly fixed with program re-entry,
"RE-ENTER OPERATING SYSTEM" has become my Go-To on all weird problems with my Porsches.
Only takes a few minutes to do it, and re-booting so far has fixed all my computer-controlled systems.
doing "weird stuff".
The following 2 users liked this post by FastLaneTurbo:
abiazis (08-10-2021), Big Swole (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 06:29 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

I often wonder is that is the case on some of the major replacements of parts I see, including mine. I wonder Way more had my warranty not covered it.
Old 07-31-2021, 08:56 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
...I insisted they re-enter the car's operating system.
That fixed it! ...
"RE-ENTER OPERATING SYSTEM" has become my Go-To on all weird problems with my Porsches.
Only takes a few minutes to do it, and re-booting so far has fixed all my computer-controlled systems.
doing "weird stuff".
What does this mean? I have never heard this mentioned before. I've also played around (just a bit) with a PIWIS system and never seen any option like this. Any more details on exactly what you mean? My guess is my dealer will not have a clue either if I mention it to them without some clarification...

But yes, in general I agree with the suspicion that Porsche dealers might sometimes be replacing hardware for software glitches....

Last edited by pfbz; 07-31-2021 at 08:58 PM.
Big Swole (07-31-2021)
Old 07-31-2021, 10:26 PM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

Received 491 Likes on 303 Posts

Bit like re-installing Windoze when the glitches become intolerable
Big Swole (07-31-2021)
Old 07-31-2021, 11:22 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Bit like re-installing Windoze when the glitches become intolerable
Yeah, I get the *concept*, but there are many different computers ("modules") in our cars, none of which have a re-loadable operating system to my knowledge... Hence my question.

Front spoiler is under the domain of the Rear Body Control Module...
Old 08-09-2021, 05:46 PM
brakerlord
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you should just go with a Turbo S if you're not into a purpose built track cars. At least you'd get rear seats. The GT2 RS has some pretty bold styling that fits best with the spoiler. snaptube vidmate Without it, the fender vents, etc. look a little unbalanced, imo.

Last edited by brakerlord; 08-10-2021 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-27-2021, 03:10 AM
MattHer
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@Big Swole, Did you ever have a chance to take it apart further? I have the same issue as some others where the spoiler will inflate and deploy, but the car doesn't detect it and I get an error message >78mph.

I'm prepared to dissect and document the innards to see what's in there electrically detecting the spoiler's position (I'm hoping for the $0.02 microswitch). I'm on the west coast, but I'd be happy to buy the broken spoiler and pay for packing + shipping (if that would be acceptable to you). I was hoping to learn how to dissect the part and what's inside on a broken spoiler other than my own (partially because it's my daily driver, so I can't have it apart very long).

Thanks!

Last edited by MattHer; 10-27-2021 at 03:12 AM.
worf928 (10-27-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 05:20 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MattHer
@Big Swole, Did you ever have a chance to take it apart further? I have the same issue as some others where the spoiler will inflate and deploy, but the car doesn't detect it and I get an error message >78mph.

I'm prepared to dissect and document the innards to see what's in there electrically detecting the spoiler's position (I'm hoping for the $0.02 microswitch). I'm on the west coast, but I'd be happy to buy the broken spoiler and pay for packing + shipping (if that would be acceptable to you). I was hoping to learn how to dissect the part and what's inside on a broken spoiler other than my own (partially because it's my daily driver, so I can't have it apart very long).

Thanks!

I never did actually... No time for stuff like right now. I guess I could try to pack it up in the box the new one came in and ship it.

Hit me with a PM and I'll check it when I can and will call ya on details.

David
Old 08-24-2024, 07:36 PM
iFlat6-FR
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MattHer

Thanks!
Hello there. Did you finally got the part and dissect it? Im curious to know since Im having the same issue….the whole front spoiler was replaced, as well as the controling box…and still have the same issue ! Thanks for your help 😊
Old 08-24-2024, 08:41 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
I just received the "Spoiler Failure - Reduce Speed" code tonight.
Random... I was in Sport Plus with Aero Deployed and was getting on the hwy.
Once up to speed I got the code. Now the front and rear spoilers will not deploy. At speed or manually.

Few threads and a few people seemed to have found electrical issues / gremlins. One had it fixed by just unplugging / replugging some connection.

Thoughts?
I went through this for a few months trying to figure it out. Had my Indy do a lot of diagnostics and it was the front frunk spoiler control unit. Not the cheapest thing to fix but way better than a new front spoiler. Unfortunately they do go bad. What will happen is you will get to speed and spoilers will get ready to activate and then you get the warning message and the spoilers will go down. If the front spoiler is the culprit the rear spoiler won’t stay engaged.
I think the new control unit is $1500 or a bit more.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Turbo Spoiler failure/stuck