Sponsored by: Road Spy

New 991.2 TTS versus used 458 Italia

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 10:40 PM
QueueCumber
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by zxt
991.2 tts - i chose this car because it is the most practical and reliable super car. when you get in it you just know how to use it, unlike other super cars where you have to still figure out how to operate it. everyone here already knows how fast it is so no need to say that. and i needed the extra 2 seats so i can use it when my wife and kids are with me.
That is the one thing that bothered me in the 458s. The horn is in a really stupid spot. If you're used to decades of hitting the center of the wheel, in an emergency you're going to hit the center of the wheel no matter how ergonomic the layout is on the 458. I actually had someone back into my old 458 Italia in a mall parking lot because of it. I hit the center of the wheel and in panic couldn't remember where to hit the horn (and of course switching into reverse wasn't going to happen any easier...). No serious damage requiring paint work or anything, thankfully. You'd think a bright red sports car would be easy to spot! There are way too many bad drivers who don't pay attention out there.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:08 AM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by QueueCumber
That is the one thing that bothered me in the 458s. The horn is in a really stupid spot. If you're used to decades of hitting the center of the wheel, in an emergency you're going to hit the center of the wheel no matter how ergonomic the layout is on the 458. I actually had someone back into my old 458 Italia in a mall parking lot because of it. I hit the center of the wheel and in panic couldn't remember where to hit the horn (and of course switching into reverse wasn't going to happen any easier...). No serious damage requiring paint work or anything, thankfully. You'd think a bright red sports car would be easy to spot! There are way too many bad drivers who don't pay attention out there.
Sorry for off topic post...

haha, reminds me of when I came out from shopping at the grocery store, a big cadillac was parked up against my car, I had to wait for the driver to appear, an old lady that had no idea she had hit my car and put it in park Unfortunately there was bumper damage that required repairs.

Yes, all sorts of drivers out there, lol
Old 05-05-2018, 12:28 AM
QueueCumber
Racer

Originally Posted by Elliott991TS
Sorry for off topic post...

haha, reminds me of when I came out from shopping at the grocery store, a big cadillac was parked up against my car, I had to wait for the driver to appear, an old lady that had no idea she had hit my car and put it in park Unfortunately there was bumper damage that required repairs.

Yes, all sorts of drivers out there, lol
I actually have very specific rules on where and how I park now. And even that isn’t failsafe!

When I had my MP4-12C, I parked in front of a handicap space because there is extra room in front of those spots. I left 4 feet or more in front of me to the next spot. Coming out of the store, I see an old guy slowly backing up, and backing up, and backing up, and backing up, four feet into my parking spot even though he was already parallel parked correctly and just needed to move forward. He hit the car. Again, only some rubbing on the star shield (which ruined the star shield), but it defied all reasoning or logic! It was like he was used to hitting the car in back of him to know he was in the spot.

Now, I only park in front or single spots in parallel parking spots, and unless the side by side parking spots are very large, I always look for end spots and squeeze as close to the edge as possible. If there are none available that give enough distance, I either wait or leave and do something else... lol
Old 05-09-2018, 04:22 PM
hobeturbo
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An interesting comparison, I just traded my '13 458 in for a 2017 Porsche Turbo S 991.2 with numerous Champion updates. Here's my reasoning: First, the new Porsche Turbo S is literally light years ahead of the '13 Ferrari 458. It's faster, easier to get in and out of, and more of a daily driver. The electronics on the Porsche blow the Ferrari away. The original poster said his warranty was for 7 years with 3 years remaining. I doubt it. I could be wrong but I think he was thinking of the 7 years free maintenance which is still worth a lot of $$. Still, the Ferrari sat most of the time in the garage. Scared to park it anywhere and not particularly comfortable on any type of weekend trip. It's loud on the highway and tire noise is a problem. Don't get me wrong, I loved the car, but it was time for a change. I actually had another '12 Turbo S with all the Champion updates, approaching 700 HP. So I know Porsches. I think I actually got a little bored with the Ferrari. Now, the new Turbo S is blowing my mind. My next Ferrari, (I may be insane), that I will be looking for is a Red/tan 355. Oh, and the 458 market is getting very soft now. There will be Ferrari deals around. The new Porsches, not so much.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:43 PM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Received 277 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by hobeturbo
My next Ferrari, (I may be insane), that I will be looking for is a Red/tan 355.
The 355 is the most beautiful Ferrari ever build. Good eye!
Old 05-12-2018, 12:19 AM
zxt
Track Day

Originally Posted by ace37
Does a GT3 RS appeal to you? I haven't owned one but from reading your post it's possible it would split the difference between the TTS and the 458. Maybe not, but I thought it was worth saying.
it was actually my 1st choice before i got the TTS. local dealer sold the last GT3RS a week before i went to them. but after driving my friends GT3RS i was actually glad i wasn't able to buy one. where i am, local GT3RS don't have front lift suspension and only bucket seats. so my friend always scrapes his going in and out of parking lots and the traffic out here is terrible (20min drive could become 2hr drive, yeah that bad) it would suck to be stuck on a bucket seat.

Originally Posted by Apbc2
I have had a bunch of Ferraris. I had 2 458's. Now I have a TTS. They really aren't comparable cars. The sound of the 458 at 9000 rpm is beyond words. My problem with the Ferrari's was that I never used them. My last one was a 2013 458 Spider that I spec'd and got as new. I kept it 3 years and sold it with 2100 miles on it. I was afraid to take the car to places, didn't want to be perceived as showy or obnoxious. I wouldn't take my kids to school in it, etc. It was really a limited use car.
On the other hand, the TTS is something that I can use all the time and it draws little to no attention. Having the back seats is a bonus and when it's in normal mode, it's really a perfect DD. it is also faster than the 458 was.
Do I miss the Ferrari? Of course, sometimes. On the other hand, I use the TTS so much more, that I have no regrets. I don't care if it depreciates more, because I'm getting so much use from it.
Not sure if this helps.
exactly this! if you plan to use it only once a week then go ahead with the 458 but if you're going to use it a lot then TTS.

Crazy. I never had any of those issues with my Italia or Speciale.
i guess it's a hit and miss. but we know at least 4 other 458 owners with some of the issues we've had along with something else, mostly electrical issues which is not a big deal and wouldn't turn me away from getting a 458.

i've been using the 458 atleast 1-2x a week for about 2 years now and still can't figure out what exactly the buttons behind the steering wheel are for.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:01 AM
QueueCumber
Racer

Originally Posted by zxt
i've been using the 458 atleast 1-2x a week for about 2 years now and still can't figure out what exactly the buttons behind the steering wheel are for.
The electrical issues you’ve had are unfortunate. I don’t know anyone else with those issues. Worst I’ve heard of is the battery going dead if left too long off the tender when the car is not driven regularly enough. The 458 is known for being very reliable as an exotic. Occasionally I’ve read of a random mechanical issue here or there on Ferrari Chat by singular people, but nothing wide-scale or pervasive.

McLaren on the other hand is renowned for electrical issues, at least with the MP4-12C. I was fortunate and didn’t have those issues on my MP4-12C, though I felt the car handled terribly at low speeds (it always wanted to veer off in weird directions). I suppose that could have been an electrical issue now that I think about it.

The left button behind the wheel controls volume. The right button behind the wheel controls changing radios/satellite stations, CD tracks, or HD tracks.

Last edited by QueueCumber; 05-12-2018 at 01:17 AM.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:25 AM
zxt
Track Day

The left button behind the wheel controls volume. The right button behind the wheel controls changing radios/satellite stations, CD tracks, or HD tracks.
oh i know what they are for, i just get confused which is which every once in a while especially the center button.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:30 AM
Fracman
AutoX

I’ve owned a 458 and currently have a 991.1 TT. As many have stated, the 458 was a Point A to Point A car. I enjoyed it, but it had a few electrical glitches starting at 1200 miles (display screen out followed by start circuit issues). The problem with the glitches was the time and pain associated with resolution, the dealer was always backlogged by 6+ weeks and I am not comfortable with the independants in my area, and I was incapable of addressing myself. For one of the problems I had the car shipped to a dealer 4 hours away. In the end, I decided that the time spent chasing this around wasn’t worth it considering how little I was driving it. I hope to have another Ferrari down the road when the kids are older and I can devote more time to supporting it and enjoying it. My experience with the 458 was similar to my Scuderia, however, I did not have kids with the Scud and was more legible on time devoted to support and A to A driving.

I love the 991 TT, as solid as my previous p-cars and drives great. The only thing I miss about the 458 is the look and sound, For me, I think the 991 is as good or better in all other aspects (driving dynamics, transmission, etc.). In 5 months I have already put more miles on the 991 than I would on the 458 in a year.

Lots of Point A to Point A driving and time/tolerance toward minor issues = Get the 458
More flexibilitty on parking and Porsche reliability at the expense of Ferrari attention/looks/sound = Get the 991

Both are outstanding machines!

Last edited by Fracman; 05-12-2018 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 02:32 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 883 Likes on 366 Posts

Owned a 458 and I daily drive a 991TTS. I love both of the cars. But they are very different. I personally think you can daily drive a 458.

I have a sharkwerks exhaust on my 991TTS and it sounds great...very happy with it. Additionally with the new generation Michelins Pilots help alot.
Old 05-12-2018, 02:38 PM
QueueCumber
Racer

I could daily the 458 if I used automatic often (traffic, etc.), but I feel like it’s a waste to use automatic in a 458. I like keeping it in race mode when I drive.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:15 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by richk
Owned a 458 and I daily drive a 991TTS. I love both of the cars. But they are very different. I personally think you can daily drive a 458.

I have a sharkwerks exhaust on my 991TTS and it sounds great...very happy with it. Additionally with the new generation Michelins Pilots help alot.
Hah. If you like the change to the Michelin Pilot SS, you'd love the grip of Sport Cup 2s! The tire differences between the GT3 and TTS make up for most of the track performance differences between the two cars. Some can drive their TTS faster on a track with SC2s than with a GT3.

Back to topic, like I said before, occasional driving, mostly Point A to Point A, get the 458. If you can have only one car in your garage, and use it more for Point A to Point B/ daily drive, then the 911TTS. Or get a 718 for a daily and a 458. FWIW, I sat in a GT3 today, and wow, it was hard to see what's behind you with that big wing filling a good part of your mirror! Might not be a good daily for that reason alone.

Quick Reply: New 991.2 TTS versus used 458 Italia