Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

So why does sport mode sound differently?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 02:03 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts
Default So why does sport mode sound differently?

I thought that sport mode sounds differently because symposer opens. I disconnected my symposer (so much better now), but noticed that sport mode still sounds different.

So I did an experiment - started a cold car and let it warm up to about 80% of where it stabilizes - at this temperature, the engine is completely warm but idles at the same 750RMP in both sport and normal modes (just above that temperature, sport idles slightly higher and normal slightly lower) and changed from sport to normal and back. The exhaust note changed noticeably both inside and outside, actually more so on the outside. The idle stayed the same, the symposer is removed and AFAIK, there are no flaps in exhaust. So what does it?
Old 05-13-2018, 02:20 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,792 Likes on 4,779 Posts

I believe it changes the engine profile - timing, boost, etc. - which affects the sound of the engine, both at idle and at throttle
Old 05-13-2018, 12:57 PM
A418t81
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 106 Posts

I think it’s s combo of timing and cam phasing changes that do it. The VTG vanes also change pitch in order to increase shaft rpm at partial throttle and low load for better transient response with a slight hit to fuel economy as a result.

Quick Reply: So why does sport mode sound differently?