Sponsored by: Road Spy

Sunroof delete

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 08:47 PM
pullover
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sunroof delete

How does a sunroof delete effect resale & desirability on 991.1 - 991.2 Turbo's & Turbo S? A vast majority have sunroofs, is this because dealers are raising profit margins or customers really desire them? A delete must increase torsional rigidity, however slight. Also a sunroof must add a little weight?
Thanks for you comments, Ted
Old 04-23-2018, 09:37 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Everyone wants a sunroof except me (and Randyc151) so that's why I ordered mine delete. Besides the fact that I don't use them more-or-less ever, they add weight up high, affect stiffness slightly, require periodic maintenance, and can in some cases be a source of squeaks, rattles or leaks.

Some folks like the increased 'airiness' feeling of the glass sunroof, or like the look of a black roof. Some folks like the wind (and dust and pollen) in the hair

If you are spec-ing your TT for the next owner then ask the folks that bought them used.
Old 04-23-2018, 09:58 PM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
Everyone wants a sunroof except me (and Randyc151) so that's why I ordered mine delete. Besides the fact that I don't use them more-or-less ever, they add weight up high, affect stiffness slightly, require periodic maintenance, and can in some cases be a source of squeaks, rattles or leaks.

Some folks like the increased 'airiness' feeling of the glass sunroof, or like the look of a black roof. Some folks like the wind (and dust and pollen) in the hair

If you are spec-ing your TT for the next owner then ask the folks that bought them used.
I don't want one either, so I checked the delete box as well.
Eric
Old 04-23-2018, 11:19 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 76 Posts

The sunroof in the TTS is the best I've ever had. In my experience of it, it's positioned perfectly to create the open air feeling without significant interference by the wind. On other cars with a sunroof, I rarely opened the sunroof. With this one, I do it frequently. And, regarding another objection I've heard, I haven't experienced any significant noise or rattle problem when it's closed. On the other hand, if you don't want the weight and don't like the open air feeling of it, then I totally respect your decision not to spend the extra money or weight on it.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:23 PM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 422 Posts

I bought used. My only requirement was no glass sunroof. They're ugly, ruin the lines of the car, add weight etc. If my car didn't have a sunroof at all it would have had no effect on my decision to buy or not. The only time I use mine is to raise the rear to vent it while parked someplace outside.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:19 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 752 Likes on 473 Posts

I have had one with and one without, personally I would not buy another one without a sunroof, to me it adds to the driving pleasure.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:55 AM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts

I dont believe it makes any difference at all. For a Turbo there are only a few options that desirable. First and foremost color interior and exterior. After than there is little value in the option packages chosen in my opinion. The only time options play a factor are a tie breaker for a buyer between cars.

Where is matters is in the base models that dont have PDDC, PCCB, PASM, Sport Chrono, Sport Plus Seats........ these are key features.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:31 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

I love mine and would not be without one,.....buyers for non-sunroof cars are there, but I would tend to believe they would be fewer compared to buyers who wanted one.

I don't think anyone really knows (including me) how having one or not having one does to a cars value. Dealers may have some input, but of course different parts of the country will most likely have different responses.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:50 PM
gled
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't buy mine for resale, never had a 911 with sunroofs, never will.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:00 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

Don't like them. I ordered with sunroof delete. I would prefer to buy one without if I was I market for used.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:19 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

I did not think about resale when I ordered mine without. Just did not think I'd use it, so went with the lighter option that gives more headroom.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:18 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by AviBen
The sunroof in the TTS is the best I've ever had. In my experience of it, it's positioned perfectly to create the open air feeling without significant interference by the wind. On other cars with a sunroof, I rarely opened the sunroof. With this one, I do it frequently. And, regarding another objection I've heard, I haven't experienced any significant noise or rattle problem when it's closed. On the other hand, if you don't want the weight and don't like the open air feeling of it, then I totally respect your decision not to spend the extra money or weight on it.
I agree. And if you want one, let me suggest choosing carefully between steel and glass. The glass is "open" all the time because it lets light in, but in some places, it's too hot, even with a shade. I got the steel one and like being able to keep out the sun when I want, and like it being painted to match the rest of the car.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:48 PM
pullover
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sunroof Delete

Thanks all for your response. Last P cars were 86 - 930 coupe, 97- 993 coupe, both with sunroofs. Then they were steel, plenty of head room. Your input is greatly appreciated. Very interesting however, most prefer delete option. It appears most 991TT s listed for sale have glass sunroofs. I have driven them but never owned one. I guess I would order a delete option if I can get an order, they are scarce as reported. Prefer headroom & reduced weight for some track. Interesting to see if opinions continue pro/delete. Thanks again for your time.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:31 AM
r00t61
Pro

Received 244 Likes on 154 Posts

Here are a couple of past threads re: the sunroof.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8637...our-991-a.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9709...nd-resale.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7610...of-delete.html

I do like the glass sunroof in my C4S - it is nice and airy. However I do not like how the black glass ruins the aesthetics of the roof (my C4S is GT Silver). The only exterior color I like in combination with the glass sunroof is Black; but trying to keep a black car clean is a whole 'nother can of worms.

Looking at 911 TTS listings the past the few months, I'd estimate that 98% came with the glass sunroof. Non-sunroof TTS seem very rare.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:52 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by r00t61

Looking at 911 TTS listings the past the few months, I'd estimate that 98% came with the glass sunroof. Non-sunroof TTS seem very rare.
Obviously, the non-sunroof cars are rare because they get snapped up so quickly in the used market!! I think we have our answer!

Quick Reply: Sunroof delete