Sponsored by: Road Spy

DSC Module for 991.1 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 07:34 PM
gtallegra
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DSC Module for 991.1 Turbo

Hey Guys, Im looking in to get this module for my 991.1 Turbo that i track, as an alternative to lowering springs, I know they aren't the same but just an add on that would help on the Track. Has anyone tried this on a turbo? is it worth getting? some have suggested that the Turbo setup is already soft and agile and won't benefit much from this. Can anyone give me some input on this before i make the investment. Thanks
Old 01-28-2018, 08:11 PM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Received 277 Likes on 174 Posts

I am going to the Audi Club open track event in April at VIR, and DSC is going to be there and is offering to let me try it out on my 991.2, along with Randy Pobst helping out with getting it dialed in for my car if needed. (That alone should be worth it - that guy is hysterical!) I have lowered my car, but am hopeful that this device can help with turn 5a and the esses! We'll see, but I'm also interested in hearing more from those that have it on their turbo.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:42 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

I added DSC V2 to my 991.1 TT that does not have PDCC. I feel it offers the benefits of PDCC without an expensive PDCC retrofit (if it's even possible). You definitely feel the difference as there is less body roll. Also, the range is broader, so the car rides better on rough surfaces and seems to stick better to bumpy roads. I would definitely recommend it. As you can see from the installation videos, it takes all of 15 min. to install it, and you can easily swap back in the OEM unit when you sell the car. I should add that I've not yet tracked the car with the DSC in it, but expect some material improvement based on back roads driving.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:16 AM
nolimits
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default DSC V2

I have been extremely satisfied by the results of this product. More in this thread. https://rennlist.com/forums/991-turb...the-turbo.html
Old 01-29-2018, 09:33 AM
JW1
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Randy,

Do you have the front axle lift and a sunroof on your 991.2? The DSC still has issues with those.

John

Originally Posted by Randyc151
I am going to the Audi Club open track event in April at VIR, and DSC is going to be there and is offering to let me try it out on my 991.2, along with Randy Pobst helping out with getting it dialed in for my car if needed. (That alone should be worth it - that guy is hysterical!) I have lowered my car, but am hopeful that this device can help with turn 5a and the esses! We'll see, but I'm also interested in hearing more from those that have it on their turbo.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:36 AM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JW1
Hi Randy,

Do you have the front axle lift and a sunroof on your 991.2? The DSC still has issues with those.

John
Hi have neither! (yes, I ordered without the sunroof, to the horror of my dealer)
Old 01-29-2018, 12:07 PM
gtallegra
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reposes guys, but can someone give me a descriptive idea of how the car changes while on this module. Are the changes worth the money?
Old 01-29-2018, 01:03 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Originally Posted by JW1
... The DSC still has issues with... a sunroof on your 991.2?
Whut?

My TT is also sunroof-challenged (or rigidity-enhanced depending upon context) so I don’t really care, but I gotta know.

‘splain?
Old 01-29-2018, 04:44 PM
JW1
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

It's just that TCP Racing's developmental 991.2 had neither a sunroof nor the front axle lift system. Porsche changed something on the 991.2 that now causes fault messages to be displayed when you have a DSC Sport installed. The sunroof fault goes away as soon as you close the sunroof but the FAL fault freezes the FAL system after about 20 seconds until you turn off and on the car to reset it. TCP Racing will be able to come out with a fix as soon as they are able to get someone with both systems to go into their facility to be hooked up to their computers. If anyone has a 991.2 with the front axle lift system AND a sunroof and would be willing to bring their car over to TCP Racing in Jessup, MD (20794), I will offer them a free DSC Sport V2 module for their trouble. I have no affiliation with them. I just want my DSC module to work without causing any faults in my car.

Originally Posted by worf928

Whut?

My TT is also sunroof-challenged (or rigidity-enhanced depending upon context) so I don’t really care, but I gotta know.

‘splain?

Last edited by JW1; 01-29-2018 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:33 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

My initial reaction to the sunroof and FAL issue was also surprise, but as I thought about it, it makes sense. There is definitely a sensor feed from the sunroof to the vehicle dynamics computer because when the sunroof is open, the rear spoiler deploys higher. I'm guessing it may also affect the handling map. If there is no sunroof and no feed, I can see how the DSC might be confused. You also would not want the system to be active when the front axle is lifted, so I can see how that might affect the DSC, too. There are probably a few lines of code that need to be changed so as to eliminate these bugs.

I'm not sure what the other poster is asking about when he says "descriptive idea of how the car changes", but the DSC is described on the DSC website. http://www.dscsport.com/porsche/#991
I think it's worth the money, but that's really something specific to the buyer. For what it does (aid turn-in, reduce body roll, and at the same time improve ride quality), and the cost and ease of installation, I'd say it's worth it.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:01 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JW1
It's just that TCP Racing's developmental 991.2 did not have neither a sunroof nor the front axle lift system.
Ah hah! Thanks.

Originally Posted by Need4S
My initial reaction to the sunroof and FAL issue was also surprise,
FAL didn't surprise me. And now that you remind me ...

the vehicle dynamics computer ... the sunroof is open, the rear spoiler deploys higher.
... that makes sense too. Since I only get a sunroof with a can opener, I'd forgotten about that tidbit from the owner's manual.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:55 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,265 Likes on 616 Posts

In my 991.1 GT3, DSC conflicts with front axle lift (obviously no sunroof there) - when I try to change suspension mode with front axle lift on, the button light goes out of sync with the display (e.g., the button may show sport suspension and display non-sport and vice-versa).

Going back to the question on what effect DSC has - off the track, the most noticeable things are twofold:

1. Dive on braking and squat/porpoising on acceleration are reduced, and the car feels more stable and confidence-inspiring
2. When driving straight, big pumps are unsettling the car less.

On track, you get all that plus that inside wheels are not unsettled by curbs as much, so you can take curbs more aggressively.

There are only the very obvious things, I'm sure it has some more subtle effects as well.

It's a worthwhile mod.

Edit: Also, jut remembered I have a spare 991.1 module (bought multiple not realizing that 991.1 and 991.2 are different). If anyone wants it, I can sell it cheaper than OEM (let's say $950 vs. $1300 from DSC). It's brand new, effectively unused - I only installed it to check if works to make sure I will not be selling a brick. If anyone wants it, let me know.

Edit 2: It is sold.

Last edited by MaxLTV; 01-30-2018 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:54 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Edit 2: It is sold.
Missed it by 30 minutes.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:26 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Going back to the question on what effect DSC has - off the track, the most noticeable things are twofold:

1. Dive on braking and squat/porpoising on acceleration are reduced, and the car feels more stable and confidence-inspiring
2. When driving straight, big bumps are unsettling the car less.

On track, you get all that plus that inside wheels are not unsettled by curbs as much, so you can take curbs more aggressively.
+1 Forgot to mention dive and squat improvement. On big bumps (seems an epidemic of "speed humps" installed on every residential street), the initial impression is that the ride is softer and you expect as a result the car would start bouncing as if under-damped, but all you get is the initial softness (relative to stock) and it's well-controlled right after that.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:42 AM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

I talked to TPC Racing about the DSC V2 for the 991.2 TTS, and they confirmed that it has some issues with the front axle lift and the sunroof. I have neither, and am scheduling a time to take it up to them to get a full track alignment and look at more suspension options and tuning. I will report back.

Quick Reply: DSC Module for 991.1 Turbo