Sponsored by: Road Spy

2014 991 TTS Cobb PDK Tune Initial Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 06:13 PM
znammz911TTS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 991 TTS Cobb PDK Tune Initial Review

After 6 months with Sam's ByDesign Stage 2, I still enjoy the car with its new profound power. I recently decided to get the PDK tune before moving forward to stage 3 and here is my initial review:

COBB Sports Map:
On both Normal/ Sports Mode, I noticed much firmer shift between each gear and it stays on RPM higher than OEM. It's a good thing if you like a more sport oriented TTS than a GT TTS. However, you might not like it if you are more GT orientated. Below are my observations:

COBB Sport Map:
1. COBB Sport Normal mode: is like OEM Sport but with more crispiness to the shift. Overall about 20-30% of the smoothness is gone, 20-30% more crispiness feels during shifts.
2. COBB Sports Sports mode: is like Sports Plus but completely usable on the street. Overall about 40-50% of the smoothness is gone, 20-30% more crispiness feels during shifts. I think many will like this shifting pattern to be the OEM sport plus shifting pattern because it's aggressive but very useable on the street and it makes the car sounds great with Kline exhaust.
3. COBB Sports Plus mode: I did not try.

COBB Aggressive Map:
Definitely more aggressive than the Sports Map and you can feel the gear change in each gear. Overall, it's too aggressive for me as it took away a lot of the smoothness of the TTS GT personality. Overall, 40% or more of the smoothness is gone. 50-60% more crispiness feels during shifts.

COBB High Torque Aggressive Map: Did not try.

The overall experience was pleasant as always and Sam will go out of his way to help you. However, I spoke with Sam about it and see if I can return to OEM spec and refund because I didn't think the program was for me (I drive like an old guy most of the time). He told me to do the PDK re-learn procedures to see if it was any better so I will report back on that once I drive it.

I think that COBB should include another map to cater both aggressive drivers who like the current COBB PDK tune and grandpa (like me) customers who want to keep 90-95% of the car characteristic but just a little more.

For Examples:
COBB OEM Plus: Normal = OEM; Sport = OEM Sport with Firmer shifting; Sport+: COBB Sports Map for Sport (sportier than OEM sport but not as aggressive as stock Sport+ so it's still driveable on the street)
COBB Sport: Keep it the way it is.
COBB Aggressive: Keep it the way it is.

Some improvements if Sam and COBB can include would be nice:
1. Memory function for last selected Mode: Normal and Sport only; not Sport Plus
2. On the fly program change from COBB OEM Plus/Sport/Aggressive

Last edited by znammz911TTS; 01-25-2018 at 10:44 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:11 PM
zagaone
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

My experience and a friend of mine both with 2014 tts were exactly like what you experienced. Also we both tried to do the relearn and both cars were unable to performe the pdk relearn as it wll freeze and abort every time during the process. Cobb did not have an explanation as to why nor were they able to fix it. End up unistalling it. But BEWARE. Once you uninstall the software the pdk gets unpredictable and gear upshift and downshifts are clunky and trashy . End up taking the car to the dealer and paying them to do the pdk relearn After the dealer visit and $350.00 lighter everything is oem smooth.

Great fan of Cobbs(GTR & Porsche) for years but this upgrade is not yet fully sorted.

Last edited by zagaone; 01-25-2018 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:52 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,000 Likes on 602 Posts

Hey gents. Thanks for the kind and honest review N. There’s a beta firmware update to allow the relearn on some cars that have had issues with it. It’s a timing thing and it’s quite an amazing feat that they got it stuffed into the access port. The update has been working every time. Please feel free to reach out I’d love to support you through that so you can try it and enjoy the software. Also back you up on any other service that you may need to make up for the cost. They are extremely sensitive and it’s a very tight calibration so the relearn is important on some cars more than others. Staying tuned and I’m here for you guys.

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 01-25-2018, 09:44 PM
znammz911TTS
Advanced

Update # 2

I did the PDK relearn process this afternoon with success, took around +/- 18 min to complete. The instruction on COBB website and AP were easy to follow and I did what Sam instructed me to do after the PDK re-learn process to drive the car gently after that and move through gears from 1-7-1 several times to allow the car to learn and adapt. Drove it around a little bit and stop to do some shopping. The car is Stage 2 ACN 91 and Sports PDK map. On my way back home mixes with local streets, freeways with traffic, I notice that gear shifts were smoother as Sam described. Gear holding was still up there for normal and sports modes, Sports Plus weren't used. Sam said the car PDK will adapt to my driving style and he will be there for full support. Overall I feel sport is the right one for me. Aggressive would be great on the track but too much for my daily GT driving.

I’m glad everything worked and it made a difference. Can’t wait to go to stage III soon.

I'm providing Sam with inputs to create an additional COBB OEM Plus Map as mentioned in my first to post complement a wider range of drivers and occasions.

MTF.

Last edited by znammz911TTS; 01-25-2018 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:41 PM
znammz911TTS
Advanced

Update # 3

Post PDK re-learn process

Below are my observations:

COBB Sport Map:
1. COBB Sport Normal mode: is like OEM Sport but with more crispiness to the shift and smoother shifting compare to pre-PDK re-learn. Overall I think 5-15% of the smoothness is gone, 15-30% more crispiness feels during shifts. Much improvement compare to pre-PDK re-learn.
2. COBB Sports Sports mode: is like Sports Plus but completely usable on the street and smoother shifting compare to pre-PDK re-learn. Overall about 10-15% of the smoothness is gone, 30% or more crispiness feels during shifts. Much improvement compare to pre-PDK re-learn.
3. COBB Sports Plus mode: I did not try.

COBB Aggressive Map: Did not try

COBB High Torque Aggressive Map: Did not try.

Sam continue to provide me with excellent customer service and support. Overall, I think that COBB should put on their website that PDK re-learn is recommended after install PDK tune.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:17 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I’m really glad we got you dialed in quickly! The relearn is an amazing feature and has so many uses including maintenance and clutch longevity. The reason there are several versions is to try and meet everyone’s expectations. Some people wanted it to kick them in the back really hard every shift and there is a map for that. The more aggressive or sporty it is, the less it will have that luxury feel. But there is something for everyone and if not we will work with you. You get 4 options and all have the 3 Porsche settings too! If anyone needs anything at all feel free to reach out. Can’t wait to get you on stage III!

Cheers!

Last edited by SamboTT@ByDesign; 01-26-2018 at 12:50 AM.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:31 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,351 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by zagaone
My experience and a friend of mine both with 2014 tts were exactly like what you experienced. Also we both tried to do the relearn and both cars were unable to performe the pdk relearn as it wll freeze and abort every time during the process. Cobb did not have an explanation as to why nor were they able to fix it. End up unistalling it. But BEWARE. Once you uninstall the software the pdk gets unpredictable and gear upshift and downshifts are clunky and trashy . End up taking the car to the dealer and paying them to do the pdk relearn After the dealer visit and $350.00 lighter everything is oem smooth.

Great fan of Cobbs(GTR & Porsche) for years but this upgrade is not yet fully sorted.

Wow that is disheartening. I was planning to do the upgrade and now not sure based on these comments. I too have 14 TTS. The hp and tq upgrades seems quite good and without issues but I’m concerned about the PDK Upgrade after hearing these comments.

Sam I spoke to Jared at Cobb today via mail and he mentioned speaking with you. Have you had issues with the upgrade I can learn from? Feel free to PM me.

Old 01-26-2018, 12:38 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

I posted before seeing the last 2 update posts. Sounds more positive now.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:52 AM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hey Penn. You be the judge and let is know. That baby will be there in the morning!
Old 01-26-2018, 04:35 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

I just did the relearn on the AP and it worked very well. Car runs like stock.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:52 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

So I understand properly. The relearn is done after the PDK Upgrade is installed and it smooths out the PDK tune but keeps the value of the tune. Correct?
I’ve never tuned a PDK car only MT.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:11 AM
carguy84
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Does the PDK tune also help with the shift delay when using the paddles? I don't drive in auto, but I do notice a delay when you click the upshift or downshift to when the car actually shifts. In Ferrari's it is instantaneous at all RPM. Just wondering if this helps with the delay as well? Also, do you have to ship out the ECU?

Thanks,

Chip-
Old 01-26-2018, 11:48 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy84
Does the PDK tune also help with the shift delay when using the paddles? I don't drive in auto, but I do notice a delay when you click the upshift or downshift to when the car actually shifts. In Ferrari's it is instantaneous at all RPM. Just wondering if this helps with the delay as well? Also, do you have to ship out the ECU?

Thanks,

Chip-
No the delay is still the same, I actually suffer from it on the racetrack, not getting the upshift/downshift engaging at the precise moment I need it under certain conditions.

Originally Posted by Penn4S
So I understand properly. The relearn is done after the PDK Upgrade is installed and it smooths out the PDK tune but keeps the value of the tune. Correct?
I’ve never tuned a PDK car only MT.
I used the relearn process after having been using the PDK aggressive tune, and wanted to go back to stock to drive back home. When you go back to PDK stock programming the clutches/transmission need to have their pressure and gaps readjusted otherwise it could be somewhat clunky when moving between gears, namely from neutral to first gear. The relearn process removed that clunkiness and now it shifts as smooth as stock without the tune.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:20 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

So the relearn process is used when returning to stock and the tune is uninstalled. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:07 PM
BOOSTED TTS
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jean
I just did the relearn on the AP and it worked very well. Car runs like stock.
Hi Jean,

Which PDK map are you using for the track?

Regards,

Manuel

Quick Reply: 2014 991 TTS Cobb PDK Tune Initial Review