Sponsored by: Road Spy

Turbo and other choices

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 09:09 PM
Hawkeye911
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Unconscionable
Is it faster than a Cayenne? Lol. It would obliterate a Cayenne TT if you gave the Cayenne a 500 feet handicap. This is a serious machine. A Cayenne TT is a cute mommy car.
This. . . Hilarious (and accurate)!

Here's a great quote from MotorTrend as well...
"As such, the 911 Turbo S is hardest-launching vehicle we’ve ever tested. During the best acceleration run, Motor Trend’s data-acquisition equipment registered peak longitudinal acceleration at 1.26 g at 18 mph, 1.19 g at 30 mph, and 0.69 g at 60 mph. On a subsequent run, the Porsche’s meaty rear 305/30ZR20 103Y Pirelli P Zero N1’s grabbed asphalt so effectively that the 911’s front wheels temporarily left the ground as our tester tried to correct for the car’s wayward heading."

I cross shopped a number of the cars you looked at as well as 488, Huracan Spyder and Aventador.

I really wanted an exotic, but wanted to daily drive it as well. The 911 really is the best balance of all. With the color combo you're considering, you will get plenty of attention.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:51 PM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

You will never get the sound like a V8 but you can definitely increase the throatiness and decibels with an aftermarket exhaust. I've driven AMGs for years but nothing I've had feels like the 991 TTS I have now. Very quick, precise and just FUN to drive. I would say thats the difference, the Porsche is just more fun to drive. I agree with the comments from the previous posts. There is nothing not to like about the 991 TTS
Old 11-24-2017, 11:38 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,787 Likes on 4,776 Posts

I don't own a 991.2 TT/TTS, but having driven a TTS extensively (both the 1.1 and 1.2 iterations), it is unquestionable that the Turbo S is like the swiss army knife of supercars. And to boot, when all folded up, it looks like a toe nail clipper, you'd never guess it could fold out to a knife, scissor, screwdriver, magnifying glass, etc.

Jack of all trades? Yes. Master of none? Not quite. Certainly, not master of all, but probably at least a master of a couple of things.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:59 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by nolimits
Aside from technology points, bottom line is physics rule, the difference is mainly power to weight ratio. Yes where power is matters, but there will always be compromises. The TT trades top end for better 0-60 than other cars mentioned. Look at time to top speed and both those full spectrum data points.
Turbo gets "slow" compared to some supercars at higher speeds mostly because 1) at low speed it has an "unfair" advantage of very good AWD and very good low end torque with practically no lag, but at high speed this does not benefit it as much and it all goes back to power-to-weight; 2) Turbo has long gears after gear 2 - basically its 7th gear is optimized for fuel economy entirely, and 6th is optimized for top speed. If its gearing was optimized for acceleration, its 7th gear would be slightly shorter than the current 6th.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:59 AM
Unconscionable
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to reiterate, one of the advantages of the TTS over faster competitors is that the powerband is so fat and linear. A Mclaren 570 is a little faster, but you must work for that power. It’s weak in the mid-range and there’s pretty horrible turbo lag. Huracan/R8 require high revs for thrust.

For the street, Turbo is king. You seem like a mostly street guy.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:10 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by rajctt
Thanks for the feedback. There are many options as you can imagine. Initially I thought Cali-30 or FF would be the best. Plus, they have seating for 4, and one of them is a hard-top convertible which is another bonus. We did test drive both. Amazing vehicles. The sound is such a huge part of their driving experience.

It may not sound completely rational but here's the current thought process.
  • F- cars - too much out there in terms of attracting attention. Need something more subtle. Plus it's almost 8k/year (5k annual warranty + 3K insurance) of "overhead" to simply keep them running. Like an extended insurance. It wont break the wallet. I would prefer something with one-time acquisition cost and fairly reliable like a Porsche.
  • Mclaren - haven't researched deeply. Similar to F-car for attracting attention. Lack of 2+2
  • AM Vantage S - Mighty V12. Amazing looks and sound. I would be happy with it. But I have read running costs can be very high. And there is a reason why they depreciate like a rock. Plus 10 year old platform for my price range.
  • Maserati GT - Amazing looks and sound. Not powerful enough for my needs. 10+ year old platform. Spotty reliability
  • R8 V10 plus - something to be considered
  • Acura NSX and Nissan GTR - Not a great fan of the brand. Ideal vehicle should be an object of desire and aspirational.
  • Mercedes AMG GT - Sick sound. Something to be explored more. All things being equal, I would take a Porsche any day.
How do you find the exhaust of 911 TT(S)? Given sound is so much a part of the experience, is the sport exhaust nice? Can it get anywhere close to Cali or FF?
Considered many on this list. Agree on most except Aston - it's disappointing on practically everything besides looks. Also, Ferrari does not necessarily cost that much to maintain. And don't they come with free 7-year maintenance plan and some warranty? But anyway, my alternatives to Turbo ended up being R8 or Huracan (because V10, and not bad) and Ferarri Portofino (upcoming replacement for California T). I think Portofino can be a hit - California T was a huge improvement on California dynamically, and Portofino is going to be lighter, much better looking and with a great powertrain. It also happens to have rear seats that seem to be big enough for kids. If they don't screw it up, can be a great Turbo alternative, and it some colors it can be not too flashy. But I have not driven it, of course, so it can end up being a complete dud.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:16 AM
nolimits
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Seems like a common theme here, including self, high thoughts of the car, great DD, very capable track car, best of both worlds. Regardless of where a cars power is, gearing, aero, or mechanical grip, when driven properly in its optimum window, its ultimate performance is derived. The TT/TTS has much to offer. Lots of good input from owners of many alternative options. OP, as has been suggested, go take one for a drive, it’ll put a grin on your face.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:51 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Unconscionable
Because it’s not about the peak HP. It’s about the size and shape of the power curve and how it puts that power down.

Gearing, shift speed, and aerodynamics also affect acceleration.

Turbo S also has a sport response button which increases boost (and torque) for 20 seconds. Who knows how much power it’s making during that time? I don’t think Porsche has said anything about it.
Unconscionable, You obviously appreciate and accurately describe the merits of the TTS. Why did you sell your 2018 TTS?
Old 11-25-2017, 01:07 PM
Unconscionable
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
Unconscionable, You obviously appreciate and accurately describe the merits of the TTS. Why did you sell your 2018 TTS?
Hey that’s a good question. My first drive of a GT3 and subsequent drive of an RS just left me speechless and sweating with adrenaline. This is the thread I created about it. https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...holy-hell.html

I’m kind of a track junkie and the RS, I’ve been told, is the only car I’ll ever want or need.

But the truth is I miss my Turbo lol. I’ll buy another one soon. I don’t keep cars for more than 3-6 months for some reason.

Also, I just get bored easily. I want ALL THE CARS!!!!
Old 11-29-2017, 08:00 PM
nicoff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. There are many options as you can imagine. Initially I thought Cali-30 or FF would be the best. Plus, they have seating for 4, and one of them is a hard-top convertible which is another bonus. We did test drive both. Amazing vehicles. The sound is such a huge part of their driving experience.

It may not sound completely rational but here's the current thought process.
  • F- cars - too much out there in terms of attracting attention. Need something more subtle. Plus it's almost 8k/year (5k annual warranty + 3K insurance) of "overhead" to simply keep them running. Like an extended insurance. It wont break the wallet. I would prefer something with one-time acquisition cost and fairly reliable like a Porsche.
  • Mclaren - haven't researched deeply. Similar to F-car for attracting attention. Lack of 2+2
  • AM Vantage S - Mighty V12. Amazing looks and sound. I would be happy with it. But I have read running costs can be very high. And there is a reason why they depreciate like a rock. Plus 10 year old platform for my price range.
  • Maserati GT - Amazing looks and sound. Not powerful enough for my needs. 10+ year old platform. Spotty reliability
  • R8 V10 plus - something to be considered
  • Acura NSX and Nissan GTR - Not a great fan of the brand. Ideal vehicle should be an object of desire and aspirational.
  • Mercedes AMG GT - Sick sound. Something to be explored more. All things being equal, I would take a Porsche any day.
How do you find the exhaust of 911 TT(S)? Given sound is so much a part of the experience, is the sport exhaust nice? Can it get anywhere close to Cali or FF?
Let's see, looking at your list: you are interested in a car that sounds great; want something more subtle than a Ferrari or McLaren (or, I guess, a Lambo which is not on the list); need something reliable (which means forget AM or Masserati); not interested in the NSX or the GTR (which is a great and reliable car, btw); and a Mercedes AMG GT is just meh... THEN the only vehicle to consider from that list is the Audi R8 V10 Plus.

The Audi R8 is an eye catcher. More subtle than a Ferrari, McLaren or Lambo (when people ask, you can say, "it is just an Audi"), but much more visible than a P-car (you don't see R8s on the roads every day). It is reliable and cheap to maintain (4 warranty included and a 4 year service plan that costs $300 per year ($1,200 total!). And the sound of a NA V10 Plus engine is...INSANE! And if you get the Spyder version (2018 model), you would probably opt for no radio (only if that option were available which is not!).
Old 11-29-2017, 08:41 PM
rajctt
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

R8 V10 Plus is indeed a great choice. Stunning rear. Looks exotic. Much easier to drive daily than the Italian exotics. One downside is 2 seats.

Initially, 911 was not on my list since I already have a CTT. I wanted something different. However, after really thinking through the various possibilities I am leaning much more towards the 911.

120-150K range in the next 2-12 months would have interesting options. 2017 991.2 GTS and 2014-15 TT/TTS are my main options. It seems the new GTS is hitting 0-60 in 3.1 secs which is almost Turbo performance. It has nice exhaust. Plus it would be a newer model with better PCM, steering wheel. Also easier to find a GTS in one of the bolder colors like Lava Orange, Red, Miami blue, Yellow. Off course the TTS would be faster. Would it be so much “violent” (in a good way) than GTS. For perspective, I find my 2014 CTT pretty fast. When it pulls, you can really feel the rush. Would the 911 GTS be at least that strong? I would think so since 0-60 is 3.1 vs 4.2. PS: I don't track. Interested to hear perspectives..

I see some 911s where the entire roof is glass, like the Panoramic roof in my CTT. What is the name of that option? Seen pics of cars with electric sun roof but the glass doesn’t seem to cover the entire roof.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:09 PM
nicoff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

R8 V10 Plus is indeed a great choice. Stunning rear. Looks exotic. Much easier to drive daily than the Italian exotics. One downside is 2 seats.

Initially, 911 was not on my list since I already have a CTT. I wanted something different. However, after really thinking through the various possibilities I am leaning much more towards the 911.

120-150K range in the next 2-12 months would have interesting options. 2017 991.2 GTS and 2014-15 TT/TTS are my main options. It seems the new GTS is hitting 0-60 in 3.1 secs which is almost Turbo performance. It has nice exhaust. Plus it would be a newer model with better PCM, steering wheel. Also easier to find a GTS in one of the bolder colors like Lava Orange, Red, Miami blue, Yellow. Off course the TTS would be faster. Would it be so much “violent” (in a good way) than GTS. For perspective, I find my 2014 CTT pretty fast. When it pulls, you can really feel the rush. Would the 911 GTS be at least that strong? I would think so since 0-60 is 3.1 vs 4.2. PS: I don't track. Interested to hear perspectives..

I see some 911s where the entire roof is glass, like the Panoramic roof in my CTT. What is the name of that option? Seen pics of cars with electric sun roof but the glass doesn’t seem to cover the entire roof.
Ah Ok. I thought that you were keeping the Cayenne and were looking for a sports car. Also, I just noticed from your first post that you have never driven a 911.
Quite frankly the rear seats of any 911 are ok for small kids but only to a certain age. No adult can fit there.
In my opinion, you are putting too much emphasis on 0-60 figures. Those figures are often given more importance than they deserve. A Tesla S will blow way 99% of Porsches in the 0-60, but that does not make a Tesla S a better driving car than any P-car (in my opinion).
Perhaps, you should consider a Porsche Panamera (the turbo version) with panoramic roof (like in your CTT). The Panamera can comfortably fit adults in the rear seat and has plenty of zip. It is what I would call a GT car as opposed to a sports car, but it may fit your needs better than even a 911.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:40 PM
rajctt
Instructor

Planning to keep the Cayenne. 911/? will be the 3rd car in the family for "fun" and occasional rear-seat usage.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:51 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,787 Likes on 4,776 Posts

Planning to keep the Cayenne. 911/? will be the 3rd car in the family for "fun" and occasional rear-seat usage.
If you're dead set on a 2+2, there really isn't better option than a 911 TTS.

That said, if you want to think out of the box a bit, consider the Ferrari California T. With the introduction of Portofino (the successor to the California T), the current California T can be had for sub 200K.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:08 PM
rajctt
Instructor

I am the OP and drove my first 911 and 2015 TurboS today. This one

What a car.. It is so damn fast that things happen before the mind can register. It has much more speed than I can desire. Amazing. As stated earlier, Cali-30 and FF are the "ideal" cars from driving experience standpoint. I am basically thinking how 911 can get close to that experience. That would make my decision easier Couple of things come to mind.

1. Exhaust note - The TurboS felt way faster than Cali/FF. The violent acceleration should be matched with similar sound. Are there some exhaust tweaks to add more occassion to speed, perhaps 70-80% of Cali/FF?

2. Steering paddle shifter vs PDK shifter - With sport mode on. I would assume that hitting +/- on paddle shifter has the same effect as moving PDK lever to manual and shifting +/-. For some reason, it felt that PDK shifter had quicker effect on engine RPM than steering shifter.

2. Throttle response - Imagine the car is gently cruising at 25 mph and RPM is < 2K. If you press the gas, it takes a short while before the RPM climbs and power surge comes in. North of 3.5K, the car is just unstoppable. Is the delay to build RPM mainly because of turbo engine? On the other hand, Cali-30/FF feel responsive at all RPMs. Press the gas and RPM climbs instantly. Is this because of their NA engines?

Quick Reply: Turbo and other choices