SERIOUS test drive in 2015 GT3 today. holy hell

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 05:49 PM
Unconscionable
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SERIOUS test drive in 2015 GT3 today. holy hell

I just had to share this experience.

I'm already bored of my Boxster Spyder I got two weeks ago and went into the dealer today to complain, drive a 718 S, and see if I could find a 981 Spyder in someone else's inventory.

The 718 S, to be honest, bored the crap out of me. It's not just because it's slow and sounds meh. There's no sense of thrill to the power band. It seems to plateau around 4500 RPM and just stay there. No drama. No excitement. The brake pedal feel is a little mushy. Steering input is excellent. Grip was difficult to judge but seemed typical of a Boxster S.

Worst of all, there's no immediacy to the throttle response, which is something I have noticed on other turbo cars like my 991.2 Carrera Cab, Mclaren 570, and even my Turbo S to a lesser degree.

So I told the SA I was considering a GT3 and asked to drive a used one they just got in. SA was shocked I'd never driven one before.

We drove to a closed course on private property and I drove the snot out of it. Back roads, highway, all sorts of switchbacks and tight banked turns. It is a RACE CAR. Everything is immediate and needs to be handled delicately. Throttle response is instantaneous. Steering is taut and even a little twitchy. Grip is immense. Braking, even without PCCBs, is crisp and serious. The engine just revs for days and pulls hard from 5500 RPM. The PDK kicks you in the butt on every upshift and it's even a little jerky on downshifts. The machine literally plugs into your synapses. I know that's hilariously cliche, but it is the only way to describe it. I have owned many serious machines and I've never experienced anything like that.

At the end, when I was ready to give up because I actually thought we'd run out of fuel, my heart was pounding, I was sweating, and I wanted more.

I never drove a 991.1 GT3 because I always wanted the RS. I didn't realize how insane it is for the money ($130-150k???)

Ultimately, I think I decided to order a 991.2 GT3, but I am still undecided. The RS prices are coming down and the dealer wants $30k markup for the GT3. But I know I need one. I simply MUST have one.

Old 09-18-2017, 05:59 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Where is this private property with closed course and highways and switchbacks you speak of.. you think the owner of this closed course highway will let a few of us take a drive?

Old 09-18-2017, 06:03 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear inconsolable. You hit the nail on the head right there. GT3 definitely closer to the RS than to the GTS. In fact it revs higher and is a bit more delicate.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:05 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Like a bigger Elise but with more power would you say? Vehicular crack? You going PDK over 6MT with a GT3? I have to say I would get a 991.1 GT3 used if I were a PDK person. I loved my lotus (plural) and hope the GT3 gives back that feeling. GT3RS are close to MSRP now so that is another option.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:19 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Unconscionable

At the end, when I was ready to give up because I actually thought we'd run out of fuel, my heart was pounding, I was sweating, and I wanted more.

With most sports cars after you get out of it you think oh i could have done that a little faster. apex little earlier. little less brake on corner entry. etc etc. Only with the GT3 you have experienced the feeling of Thank god i made it out alive! and kiss the ground you have landed! Its permanent adrenaline rush and never subsides no matter how many times you try it. otherwise the best drivers car in the world. only thing better than pdk gt3 is a manual gt3.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:23 PM
Unconscionable
Racer

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Where is this private property with closed course and highways and switchbacks you speak of.. you think the owner of this closed course highway will let a few of us take a drive?

Oh yeah, it's super private though and we take security seriously. Must empty your pockets and prove you aren't carrying a badge or some other dangerous weapon.

Originally Posted by Gravs
Dear inconsolable. You hit the nail on the head right there. GT3 definitely closer to the RS than to the GTS. In fact it revs higher and is a bit more delicate.
This is in a different galaxy than the GTS. The GTS is wonderful but this is a race car. It just is.

Originally Posted by evilfij
Like a bigger Elise but with more power would you say? Vehicular crack? You going PDK over 6MT with a GT3? I have to say I would get a 991.1 GT3 used if I were a PDK person. I loved my lotus (plural) and hope the GT3 gives back that feeling. GT3RS are close to MSRP now so that is another option.

The thrill it gives is similar to the Elise but it's more composed, handles small bumps (or acorns) better, and makes you feel confident whereas the Elise is partly thrilling because you feel like you're going to die when you drive it hard. It's also less exciting putting around town. A Lotus can be exciting at 30 mph.

So in other words, you'll love everything about it and the fact that it won't kill you.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:25 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 257 Posts

.......I simply MUST have one.

Haha this is how they get you with those crazy ADM's!

I know how you feel. Drove a 991 Turbo S after the 991 GT3, and was underwhelmed with the Turbo S, even though on paper the Turbo S is faster.

I also have an Elise and it's a similar feeling to what you get there. More flickable...goes where you want it to go vs feeling like a big heavy steamroller.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:27 PM
Unconscionable
Racer

Originally Posted by carrering

With most sports cars after you get out of it you think oh i could have done that a little faster. apex little earlier. little less brake on corner entry. etc etc. Only with the GT3 you have experienced the feeling of Thank god i made it out alive! and kiss the ground you have landed! Its permanent adrenaline rush and never subsides no matter how many times you try it. otherwise the best drivers car in the world. only thing better than pdk gt3 is a manual gt3.
Hell yes! I actually thought, "oh my god... can I really take this corner this fast? Is this car for real? I am actually going to die but that's not going to make me slow down."

As much as there is a ton of drama to the GT3 experience, there's also a lack of drama in how it handles its business. It's a beautiful thing.

Congrats on your new GT3!!!! I should just do it.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:28 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I just want to know where these RS's are for $130-$150k...
Old 09-18-2017, 06:31 PM
Unconscionable
Racer

Originally Posted by mchrono
Haha this is how they get you with those crazy ADM's!

I know how you feel. Drove a 991 Turbo S after the 991 GT3, and was underwhelmed with the Turbo S, even though on paper the Turbo S is faster.

I also have an Elise and it's a similar feeling to what you get there. More flickable...goes where you want it to go vs feeling like a big heavy steamroller.
Yeah... I'm not going to say I regret my Turbo S (perhaps due to confirmation bias or because of how much I paid for it) but the GT3 is from another planet. The Turbo S shares some DNA but it's like how a peacock shares DNA with a crocodile.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:32 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Hell yes! I actually thought, "oh my god... can I really take this corner this fast? Is this car for real? I am actually going to die but that's not going to make me slow down."

As much as there is a ton of drama to the GT3 experience, there's also a lack of drama in how it handles its business. It's a beautiful thing.

Congrats on your new GT3!!!! I should just do it.
go all the way! join us in may for euro delivery too! lets all have an epic time. 4 days private session on nurburgring! i'll line up rest of the tracks once we get firmer dates in place.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:32 PM
Unconscionable
Racer

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I just want to know where these RS's are for $130-$150k...
Not RS! Regular GT3.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:57 PM
DBC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed you were at Long Island Sports Cars recently, did you drive any of the McLarens? I ask because I had a similar experience albeit in a different order and ended up in a different direction.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:03 PM
Unconscionable
Racer

Originally Posted by DBC
I noticed you were at Long Island Sports Cars recently, did you drive any of the McLarens? I ask because I had a similar experience albeit in a different order and ended up in a different direction.
Yes I was there! I am going back to drive the 720.

The 570 is interesting. I kind of like the jerky downshifts and simplicity of it. You have to work the gearbox.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:08 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 932 Likes on 535 Posts

if you thought that the GT3 has a lot of grip
wait till you drive an RS

Quick Reply: SERIOUS test drive in 2015 GT3 today. holy hell