Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Turbo and other choices

Old 11-24-2017, 06:28 AM
rajctt
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Turbo and other choices

Looking for advice. I have a 2014 CTT for last 4 years - my first Porsche. It has been an incredible vehicle. Now I am getting the itch to get something more exciting. Wife loves to be driven in the Cayenne. So I would most likely keep it and get a sports car. Willing to spend 150-200. Italian exotics have been ruled out by the family given they are too loud and ostentatious. Personally I desire something that is really special but not too flashy. Turbo/S is promising option with its supercar performance and daily drivability. Red/Lava Orange with blacked out wheels would add some uniqueness. On the other hand, its the same 911 shape that can be had for much less and fairly common sighting. Also, is the performance/turbo rush so much different than CTT? (FYI haven't driven any 911 yet and understand the difference in 0-60, quarter mile timings). Can 911 fit kids in back seat for short 15-20 min trips?

I have also considered AM VantageS (amazing sound and looks) but getting turned off by reliability and maintenance issues. Benteley Continental is another option, but too heavy and staid for my taste.

Curious to hear how you rationalized spending supercar money on 911 Turbo. Does it really feel special? What other cars should be considered?
Old 11-24-2017, 08:49 AM
Unconscionable
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You know you’re going to get biased advice here, but you should believe the hype of the Turbo S: it’s the best sports car you can buy, period.

Same shape, but with lava orange, it will absolutely stand out. You don’t want something ostentatious you said... lol. I got tons of comments and compliments on mine.

Is it faster than a Cayenne? Lol. It would obliterate a Cayenne TT if you gave the Cayenne a 500 feet handicap. This is a serious machine. A Cayenne TT is a cute mommy car.

Can kids fit in the back? Absolutely. Front passengers will have to move their seats up as much as possible, but I’ve put adults back there. It’s fine. Not an S-class but it’s a great benefit.

Even depreciation is solid given the volume of Turbos produced.

You might read that the Turbo S is boring to drive. That’s not true. It’s not a GT3 with a jerky PDK, but it’s a kitten when you want it to be and a tiger when you get in the mood. The steering feedback is great (not excellent) and precise, the grip is immense, and even 80% throttle acceleration will make your passengers yelp. You really don’t know acceleration until you’ve launched a Turbo S.

You drive around quietly knowing that you hold incredible power under your right foot and you use it only when needed. I would often find excuses to pass people on a highway.

If you were coming from a different sports car, you’d have some ideas of what you want, but for your needs, a TTS is the perfect car. Even a base Turbo has incredible performance.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:55 AM
Unconscionable
Racer

I would also add that this is the only sports car you’ll ever need. It’s fit for track duty (I’ve done plenty of them in mine) and actually extremely competent on the track. It’s fit for road trips (I took mine to West Virginia with my dog in the rear). It’s fit for bad weather or fair weather.

If you wanted to consider other cars, you’ll lose your rear seats, but a Mercedes AMG GTC is a nice GT/sports car. Mclaren 570 is a nice car but could be too flashy for your tastes and is less comfortable and usable. A Jaguar F type SVR is an excellent car with all the luxury and usability of the Turbo and you can get absolutely sick deals on them. Don’t buy anywhere near MSRP. It leans towards luxury though. Anything from Aston Martin or Bentley is not a sports car.

Conclusion: Turbo S is a legitimate, formidable supercar. You’ll be faster than everything on the road and you won’t have to worry about people following you home as if you owned a Lambo.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:20 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

I looked at several options before I bought my 991 TTS. I considered the Jaguar F-Type R, and a few others. I agree with the comments above; there’s really just nothing that beats the total package offered by the 911.

The question that you you have to ask yourself is: Why am I buying this car? Personally, I like the fact that the TTS blends in with “lesser” 911s, and I bought mine in a dark color. I’m not trying to stand out in a crowd like an exotic car owner. It sounds to me like you’re interested in being seen in the car and making a certain impression. I’m not criticizing you - everyone buys cars for different reasons. Have you considered a Ferrari GTC4 Lusso, or maybe a pre-owned FF? If you got one in a more subdued color, it might fit the bill.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:39 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

If you find the 911 Turbo/S shape too much in common with other 911s, and the Italian cars too loud or ostentatious, how about a McLaren 570s or an Acura NSX? Personally, I would not choose either of those over a 911 TT/S, but they are alternatives.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:44 AM
Unconscionable
Racer

Oh yeah. Audi R8 V10. It’s a nice car.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:04 PM
rajctt
Instructor

Thanks for the feedback. There are many options as you can imagine. Initially I thought Cali-30 or FF would be the best. Plus, they have seating for 4, and one of them is a hard-top convertible which is another bonus. We did test drive both. Amazing vehicles. The sound is such a huge part of their driving experience.

It may not sound completely rational but here's the current thought process.
  • F- cars - too much out there in terms of attracting attention. Need something more subtle. Plus it's almost 8k/year (5k annual warranty + 3K insurance) of "overhead" to simply keep them running. Like an extended insurance. It wont break the wallet. I would prefer something with one-time acquisition cost and fairly reliable like a Porsche.
  • Mclaren - haven't researched deeply. Similar to F-car for attracting attention. Lack of 2+2
  • AM Vantage S - Mighty V12. Amazing looks and sound. I would be happy with it. But I have read running costs can be very high. And there is a reason why they depreciate like a rock. Plus 10 year old platform for my price range.
  • Maserati GT - Amazing looks and sound. Not powerful enough for my needs. 10+ year old platform. Spotty reliability
  • R8 V10 plus - something to be considered
  • Acura NSX and Nissan GTR - Not a great fan of the brand. Ideal vehicle should be an object of desire and aspirational.
  • Mercedes AMG GT - Sick sound. Something to be explored more. All things being equal, I would take a Porsche any day.
How do you find the exhaust of 911 TT(S)? Given sound is so much a part of the experience, is the sport exhaust nice? Can it get anywhere close to Cali or FF?
Old 11-24-2017, 02:19 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

You’ll need an aftermarket exhaust for the TT or TTS if sound is important to you.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:35 PM
js9527
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

How can a car with stock exhaust be too loud?
Old 11-24-2017, 03:25 PM
Unconscionable
Racer

Get exhaust for Turbo. Sounds good with a Kline.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:35 PM
rajctt
Instructor

Default Performance

Performance: I was reading on Fchat that TTS can keep pace with 488 and perhaps a little faster. It is certainly faster than Huracan.
According to https://www.zeroto60times.com, 0-60 and quarter mile are (2.5, 10.5) and (2.9, 10.5) and (3.0, 11.0) for TTS , 488 and F12

Thats mighty impressive. The "geek" in me wants to understand in more detail. In this segment, most of the cars have 8-10-12 cylinders pushing 600-700+ HP. What makes TTS deliver so much performance with fewer (2 to 6) cylinders? Has Porsche ever considered putting more cylinders - would be interested to hear informed opinions.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:04 PM
nolimits
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Fast at low end due to gearing and AWD. The trade off is top end.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:11 PM
Unconscionable
Racer

Because it’s not about the peak HP. It’s about the size and shape of the power curve and how it puts that power down.

Gearing, shift speed, and aerodynamics also affect acceleration.

Turbo S also has a sport response button which increases boost (and torque) for 20 seconds. Who knows how much power it’s making during that time? I don’t think Porsche has said anything about it.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:25 PM
nolimits
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Aside from technology points, bottom line is physics rule, the difference is mainly power to weight ratio. Yes where power is matters, but there will always be compromises. The TT trades top end for better 0-60 than other cars mentioned. Look at time to top speed and both those full spectrum data points.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:58 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Maybe you should go drive one instead of asking us (totally biased) existing owners. I seriously doubt you will find anyone on this forum unhappy with their TTS decision.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo and other choices