Sponsored by: Road Spy

991 Turbo track car

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 11:00 PM
Bruce H.
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
I tried N-spec Pirelli Corsa 4 tires on my GT3. Went through two sets. They feel better than MPSC2 and are a little faster (0.6s per 1:30-minute lap) but they lasted me a day and a half both times (as opposed to 3 days I get out of MPSC2). I will never buy them again because of that. Basically, as soon as they get close to the wear bars, the tread would split in the middle of the tire where different compounds meet and start peeing off the tire. I tried lowering the pressures down to 29-30psi hot, but even that did not help.
Thanks for your feedback, I was expecting better results. Was the peeling a form of delamination, and if so that may have been caused by overheating the tires. Did you ever measure temps? Was this on the front or rear? Were you getting fairly even wear across the tread face? What would your typical out lap pressures vs hot pressures? And lastly, were the tires fast to heat up, and did you make a point of warming them up slowly so as not to "shock" the tires. Trying to better understand what happened. Thank you.

Bruce
Old 11-09-2018, 09:42 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Outstanding post, nolimits! Great feedback.

When you get a chance over the next whatever period of time, can you please dive in to more specifics about the suspension mods? Which bearings, which arms, which spacers, which camber plates, which links? Stuff like that. We're down to fine tuning, so more detail is better.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:06 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 167 Likes on 100 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to do the write up Nolimits..

Are you struggling with understeer at your track? Your tire pressures and camber differential front to rear suggest you are. You might want to setup your DSC control softer upfront.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:39 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
Thanks for your feedback, I was expecting better results. Was the peeling a form of delamination, and if so that may have been caused by overheating the tires. Did you ever measure temps? Was this on the front or rear? Were you getting fairly even wear across the tread face? What would your typical out lap pressures vs hot pressures? And lastly, were the tires fast to heat up, and did you make a point of warming them up slowly so as not to "shock" the tires. Trying to better understand what happened. Thank you.

Bruce
I did not measure temps, but same pace and driving style as with MPSC2. Delamination happened both front and rear, with front starting about 1 session before rear. With MPSC2, fronts wear much faster than rears for me. The wear was even at the front and slighly more to outside at the rear. Out pressures were around 25-26 and in pressures were 29-30 when I tried to save centers. I typically have an hour or less between sessions, so tires were slightly warm at the start of each session except the very first one. It could have been overheating, but even if it is - I'm not going to drive slower or cut sessions to less than 20 minutes, so not much else can be done to prevent that. It definitely looked like the connection between the soft and hard compound just gave up once the wear reached the certain depth. Could have been a defect, but on two sets of tires purchased 2 months apart that could be a pattern too.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:39 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jean

Are you struggling with understeer at your track? Your tire pressures and camber differential front to rear suggest you are. You might want to setup your DSC control softer upfront.
It could be driving style too. I am running Cup2 265/325 and run pressure at 32/32, -2 camber front and rear. I have more oversteer than understeer, but again...driving styles can vary widely.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:22 PM
nolimits
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151
Outstanding post, nolimits! Great feedback.

When you get a chance over the next whatever period of time, can you please dive in to more specifics about the suspension mods? Which bearings, which arms, which spacers, which camber plates, which links? Stuff like that. We're down to fine tuning, so more detail is better.
Thanks, will do, may be a couple weeks tho.

Last edited by nolimits; 11-09-2018 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:42 PM
nolimits
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jean

Car is set up for very slight oversteer in general on purpose, my preference. What I mentioned is really more fairly characterized as one high brake at straight end to tight 20mph corner hill drop (not the compression dip turn prev mentioned above) that also has some roughness to manage (so several things going on), coming in at threshold and just managing plow to make the turn rolling and getting on throttle. I was talking about normal grip loss that we all would get under that aggressive circumstance rather than overall understeer. Car is compliant where wanted for our tracks up here. The car can be easily configured for over, under or neutral right now via tire pressures or DSC as next step when needed. The DSC is set up with front a little softer and progression more compliant, fine tuning that per car config and tires over the last year. I did minimize the dive more though to keep the caster up and clearance ok. All very good and far exceeding expectations. Appreciate your and everyone's input, especially past which helped me get here with less experimenting !

Last edited by nolimits; 11-10-2018 at 04:50 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:50 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I’d stay away from any auto braking on a car used at the track. The group I run with has talked about not allowing car on the track that have auto braking. It dangerous actually
Old 11-13-2018, 09:35 AM
Bruce H.
Racer

Originally Posted by mdrums
I’d stay away from any auto braking on a car used at the track. The group I run with has talked about not allowing car on the track that have auto braking. It dangerous actually
I was going to ask Randy more about it having intervened on him on the track when turned off. But I had decided it just wasn't worth any risk to have it happen, whether my fault or the car's, so I won't be getting it. I also decided on the Sport Classic 5 lug wheels because they will be very easy for me to re and re, I liked the look when seen in person, and they look easy to clean...all good.

Learning lots from all the activity in this thread...thanks to all! Looking forward to sharing my lap times in the TS compared to those in the Viper TA, which is definitely no slouch either!

Edit: '19 TTS ordered, no FAL, Sunroof or ACC.

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce H.; 11-16-2018 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:42 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

It’s when you approach other cars on track the auto brake will mess you up....you’ll be modulating braking into a corner and the system will jump to full braking because of the speed and the car in front of you...and that car might not really even be all that close up the system see’s it and calculates and thinks your in a bad situation...and bam full braking....yikes!
Old 11-16-2018, 11:13 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
It’s when you approach other cars on track the auto brake will mess you up....you’ll be modulating braking into a corner and the system will jump to full braking because of the speed and the car in front of you...and that car might not really even be all that close up the system see’s it and calculates and thinks your in a bad situation...and bam full braking....yikes!
Obviously, many people can and do run cars with this, and they successfully turn it off before they go on track. The problem is that maybe you forget to switch it off, or it reactivates next session, or it steps in anyway under extreme circumstances. I've seen cars have issues with it. Bottom line, it's an opportunity for uncertainty on track, and we all stay safe when we are all completely predictable. (PS - I've never personally had a track car with auto-braking, and it's never happened to me)
Old 11-16-2018, 02:27 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

Has anyone tried this kit or know anything about it? Seems like an interesting alternative CCB system for cars originally with iron brakes. https://www.racingbrake.com/RB-CCM-C...por-crk-03.htm
Old 11-16-2018, 10:39 PM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 422 Posts

Thanks to the PO my car came with the PCCB's and I love them! I don't track my car but the lack of brake dust alone make them worth it to me. However $11,020.00 is a lot. You could probably trade up, be all stock and have better resale for less than that.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:20 PM
Bruce H.
Racer

I've seen a couple of reviews that comment on the PDCC roll bar system being a negative on track and wondering other's impressions. Does turning off on track work as if the car didn't have it at all? This is a track review of the Turbo without PDCC, and preferred that way...

I also noticed that both the 2017 Motor Trend BDC and Car & Driver Lightning Lap comparos wore the Pirelli Corsa tires. Porsche must have a lot of confidence, and testing you'd think, using this tire. It was also slightly quicker around VIR than the GT3 RS on MPSC2 tires.

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce H.; 11-20-2018 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:17 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
I've seen a couple of reviews that comment on the PDCC roll bar system being a negative on track and wondering other's impressions. Does turning off on track work as if the car didn't have it at all? This is a track review of the Turbo without PDCC, and preferred that way...

I also noticed that both the 2017 Motor Trend BDC and Car & Driver Lightning Lap comparos wore the Pirelli Corsa tires. Porsche must have a lot of confidence, and testing you'd think, using this tire. It was also slightly quicker around VIR than the GT3 RS on MPSC2 tires.

Bruce
OK, let me give my humble feedback on your comments. The EVO reviewer said he liked the car without PDCC on track because it was "more fun and expressive" to him, and he said this as he's drifting the car around corners on track - nobody does that! I've driven with PDCC on and off, and the difference is not exactly night and day, but I'm miles more confident (and therefore quicker) with it than without. If you are getting a TTS as a drift car, you are welcome to get it without PDCC if you desire. If you want a faster car at the limits, get PDCC.

Secondly, the Corsa tire has more grip than the regular Pzero, so Kudos to Porsche for giving an option. However, if they felt the Corsa had as much grip as the Cup2, and they really wanted to show how good the TTS really is as compared to the GT3RS, then you have to wonder why they don't put the best tire on both cars. Oh, it's because they are trying to advantage the GT cars. Remember, the 918, GT2RS, GT3RS, and GT3 all come with Cup2, not the Corsa. If they think this is the fastest tire, and it is, then why not offer it for sale and test it that way with the TTS? With Cup2 in the same sizes as the GT3RS (which is how I run at VIR), the TTS would be probably closer to 2.5 seconds faster on the Grand West course that Lightning Lap runs. That shows how much Porsche is handicapping the TTS just to give the GT cars more cred, and those numbers put the TTS near the pointy end of the supercar world.

Quick Reply: 991 Turbo track car