Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

991 Turbo track car

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2023, 04:11 PM
Bluemax2
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 105 Posts

Same here. I bought mine with 6K as a CPO and didn't even consider it. People are surprised when you show up in a TTS. Especially when you click off good times.
The following users liked this post:
Manifold (02-22-2023)
Old 02-22-2023, 04:37 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,398 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluemax2
Same here. I bought mine with 6K as a CPO and didn't even consider it. People are surprised when you show up in a TTS. Especially when you click off good times.
I was at Watkins Glen several years ago in my 991.1 GT3 and thought I was driving quite well, only getting passed by cars expected to pass me, then along came a 991 turbo that passed me easily - I was like WTF! That put the thought in my head that maybe one day I need to get a turbo car.
Old 02-22-2023, 05:03 PM
Bluemax2
Rennlist Member

I had the same thing happen at INDE passing alot of cars then all of sudden a pack of Miata cup cars passed me like I was sitting still through the turns like I was standing on the brakes. WTF!!!
Old 02-22-2023, 05:15 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

I talked with a very knowledgeable person at one of my local race shops, and what he told me pretty much confirms what I've heard on RL:

- The PCCBs need pad thickness to dissipate heat, so for track use the pads should be changed when they reach about 50% thickness, which is about 6 mm. The rotors themselves don't absorb much heat, so the pads have to absorb the heat energy from braking.

- Only the Porsche pads should be used with the PCCB rotors.

- If the above rules are followed, the PCCB rotors should be good for roughly 50 track days. The rotors have a visual indicator to judge when they're near the end of their life.

- He's heard good things about Surface Transform rotors. With those rotors, motorsport pads can be used which will provide better performance on track, and they should also be ok to use on the road.

In his opinion, 3-pt belt with the car's airbags isn't significantly less safe than roll bar, harnesses, and the Porsche non-halo sport bucket seats, and these cars are generally pretty safe, but the high speeds of the 991 TT/S are certainly something to be considered from a safety standpoint.
The following 2 users liked this post by Manifold:
Bluemax2 (02-22-2023), Need4S (02-26-2023)
Old 02-22-2023, 05:20 PM
Bluemax2
Rennlist Member

That's some good info there.
Old 02-22-2023, 05:20 PM
Hinz Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 324 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
It's a dilemma. I had a chance to compare a 991.1 GT3 with PCCB with my GT3 with irons. I was shocked at how much better the brake feel with PCCB was, it was like night and day. Handling of the car with PCCB was also noticeably better, especially in the bumpy braking zones, I guess because of the reduced unsprung mass. On the road, I also find that PCCBs feel a lot better than the irons. So I want to try to make PCCB or other carbon ceramics work on track, even if the cost is higher.

Maybe the best plan is to try the PCCBs on track for an event, and if I like the car enough on track and feel safe enough tracking it without roll bar, etc., then I can switch to the Surface Transforms, which will cost much less and I'm guessing/hoping they have a feel similar to PCCB.
I can get you good pricing on Surface Transforms, I am the leading importer and sell a ton of these. I plan to keep a good stock of GT and Turbo fitments moving forward as well. These will last much longer than OE PCCB discs for half the cost of replacement PCCBs, but it too is important to keep 50% pad material to extend the life of the ST discs. As a result, I am also working with PFC and ST right now to bring a package combing PFC race calipers with ST rotors to market which will allow you to run thicker pads which will extend both pad and disc life significantly, reduce unsprung weight even further over stock/PCCB, and create a significant performance boost on the track. This will also open up 18"-19" wheel and tire options depending on the application.

On top of that, ST rotors are also much more durable than PCCBs, so you can run a wide array of brake pad compounds including OE PCCB, PFC 11/331/332, Pagid RS29/RSL1/RSC1/RSC2/RSC3, Manthey Pads, etc...The best news is you get to keep your stock calipers, as they have discs and kits designed to work for both iron and PCCB-equipped cars.

Also note, ST is going to be implementing a price increase here very soon so if you want a set I would recommend reaching out asap.
You can view the 991 Turbo fitments here.

Please don't hesitate to reach out with questions!

HINZ MOTORSPORT
Race Parts & Accessories for your PORSCHE
www.HinzMotorsport.com
Call: 414-212-5679
Email: rick@hinzmotorsport.com
The following 4 users liked this post by Hinz Motorsport:
Big Swole (02-27-2023), Bluemax2 (02-22-2023), Manifold (02-22-2023), Need4S (02-26-2023)
Old 02-22-2023, 05:25 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hinz Motorsport
I can get you good pricing on Surface Transforms, I am the leading importer and sell a ton of these. I plan to keep a good stock of GT and Turbo fitments moving forward as well. These will last much longer than OE PCCB discs for half the cost of replacement PCCBs, but it too is important to keep 50% pad material to extend the life of the ST discs. As a result, I am also working with PFC and ST right now to bring a package combing PFC race calipers with ST rotors to market which will allow you to run thicker pads which will extend both pad and disc life significantly, reduce unsprung weight even further over stock/PCCB, and create a significant performance boost on the track. This will also open up 18"-19" wheel and tire options depending on the application.

On top of that, ST rotors are also much more durable than PCCBs, so you can run a wide array of brake pad compounds including OE PCCB, PFC 11/331/332, Pagid RS29/RSL1/RSC1/RSC2/RSC3, Manthey Pads, etc...The best news is you get to keep your stock calipers, as they have discs and kits designed to work for both iron and PCCB-equipped cars.

Also note, ST is going to be implementing a price increase here very soon so if you want a set I would recommend reaching out asap.
You can view the 991 Turbo fitments here.

Please don't hesitate to reach out with questions!
Thanks for this info. Once I confirm that I'm comfortable with tracking this car, I think ST rotors are the way I'm going to go, and I'll be reaching out to you.
Old 02-22-2023, 05:31 PM
Hinz Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 324 Likes on 197 Posts

Thanks for this info. Once I confirm that I'm comfortable with tracking this car, I think ST rotors are the way I'm going to go, and I'll be reaching out to you.
Sounds good. If you have any other questions in the meantime just ask.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hinz Motorsport:
Bluemax2 (02-22-2023), Manifold (02-22-2023)
Old 02-22-2023, 06:27 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

I got this tool to accurately measure the pad thickness:

Amazon Amazon
Old 02-22-2023, 06:44 PM
Bluemax2
Rennlist Member

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have the same one. Well worth it.
The following users liked this post:
Manifold (02-22-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 08:19 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,850 Likes on 1,520 Posts

Amazon Amazon
I use the same, bought several extras as well as everyone who sees me using this wants one as well!
Same tool, but less expensive through the below ASIN
Amazon Amazon

I think I've mentioned it before, but on my 991.1 Turbo S with factory PCCBs, I had 65K+ miles and several track days on it before swapping my pads which *still* had more than 50% pad depth on them!

Last edited by pfbz; 02-26-2023 at 08:21 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by pfbz:
Big Swole (02-27-2023), Bluemax2 (02-27-2023), moto_geek (03-27-2023), Uplandr (07-26-2023)
Old 03-26-2023, 02:15 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,494 Likes on 801 Posts

I love this thread so much that it made me buy another car. Its a 991.1 turbo with a full gt2rs body kit. Don't worry, I'm not a complete posier and I already ordered the following mods:
997 gt2 folding buckets
techart springs
dsc controller
Girodisc rotors and pads
ES Motor 71mm turbos
ipe catless titanium exhaust
Fvd harness bar
Scroth Harnesses
bbs 21 rear 20 fronts
cup2r 325/30/21 and 275/30/20 front (I'm hoping fronts don't rub)

I track at Sebring and Daytona so im hesitant about heat soak. Thinking of running oem IC's and retrofitting sprayers?

Last edited by flsupraguy; 03-26-2023 at 02:46 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by flsupraguy:
moto_geek (03-27-2023), MovingChicane (03-08-2024), rodsky (03-28-2023)
Old 07-26-2023, 12:17 PM
miky360
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

What’re you guys doing to prevent your actuators from overheating? We’ve replaced them entirely and built a heat shield but im still only able to get about 7-8min sessions out of the car.

We were planning to go non-vtg but i got screwed over the deal and we no longer have time to wait for a new kit to arrive.
Old 07-26-2023, 12:33 PM
Bluemax2
Rennlist Member

I have never had that happen personalty but I'm cat-less and tuned. I would talk to Sam and see what he would suggest.
Old 07-26-2023, 12:46 PM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Received 276 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by miky360
What’re you guys doing to prevent your actuators from overheating? We’ve replaced them entirely and built a heat shield but im still only able to get about 7-8min sessions out of the car.

We were planning to go non-vtg but i got screwed over the deal and we no longer have time to wait for a new kit to arrive.
Which actuators are we talking about? They are all over the car!

As for the rotors/pads, I've not tried ST, but I'm sure they are fine...but a lot more expensive than Girodiscs. I too liked the initial bite of the PCCB with OEM pads, and Girodisc with Ferodo DS3.12 pads has a less "grabby" feel, but I found the actual brake performance to be virtually identical. It's really just a matter of feel, which I worked through. Mike Skeen did some laps in my car, and he said the same about the Girodisc/Ferodo combo - less initial feel, same stopping power, and they felt more like his racecar. Importantly, there is NOT a visible wear indicator on the rotors. They are to be measured using the dealer's Carboteq tool, which is very conservative. Having dropped $13k on a new set of front PCCB rotors, I will stick with Girodiscs/Ferodos. Clark at Apex Perfomance is the guru on that. I just ordered new DS3.12 pads on Monday, so they have them in stock at the moment.

I can't abide by the "just as safe" using the 3-point and airbag if you are at 120mph plus. If nothing else, at least make sure you can wear a HANS device somehow. I've seen some people pretty banged up without harnesses and a HANS. Permanent injury is not a risk I'd take if I'm going full bore. I know of 2 people who broke their backs in track incidents with OEM safety gear.

Quick Reply: 991 Turbo track car