Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

would you buy used '16 TTS with minor accident on CarFax?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 12:06 AM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts
Default would you buy used '16 TTS with minor accident on CarFax?

I am looking at a 2016 TTS Coupe with "right front impact minor damage" on CarFax, it has 10,500 miles, price is 140k (most '16s with similar miles are going for 160+). I don't know all the details about the accident yet. However I do know any accident on the CarFax will greatly impact resale value and will narrow the field of buyers. The question is, how much of a discount will offset the impact when it comes time to sell it again? Would you buy a car with any accident on CarFax?
Old 10-14-2017, 09:48 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Elliott991TS
I am looking at a 2016 TTS Coupe with "right front impact minor damage" on CarFax, it has 10,500 miles, price is 140k (most '16s with similar miles are going for 160+). I don't know all the details about the accident yet. However I do know any accident on the CarFax will greatly impact resale value and will narrow the field of buyers. The question is, how much of a discount will offset the impact when it comes time to sell it again? Would you buy a car with any accident on CarFax?
I would probably not as I don't keep cars that long. However, if I were a long time holder, this would negative some of the negative depreciation of the car fax. Having said that, the only way I would purchase such a car is:

1) Full documentation of the hit. Pictures, repair bill, list of parts, etc. This will help understand the extent of the damage and if you were to sell any potential buyers would want to know the same.

2) The build and price would need to be right. A 20K savings is nice, but someone that can afford 140K can probably afford 160K... just saying. Really needs to be a good/great deal and to me 20K would not do it, especially if the damage cannot be documented.

Color would have to be desirable as well. Brown, yellow, etc already have a limited audience so make sure you buy right.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:13 AM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Michael_s
I would probably not as I don't keep cars that long. However, if I were a long time holder, this would negative some of the negative depreciation of the car fax. Having said that, the only way I would purchase such a car is:

1) Full documentation of the hit. Pictures, repair bill, list of parts, etc. This will help understand the extent of the damage and if you were to sell any potential buyers would want to know the same.

2) The build and price would need to be right. A 20K savings is nice, but someone that can afford 140K can probably afford 160K... just saying. Really needs to be a good/great deal and to me 20K would not do it, especially if the damage cannot be documented.

Color would have to be desirable as well. Brown, yellow, etc already have a limited audience so make sure you buy right.
thank you
Old 10-14-2017, 12:42 PM
QueueCumber
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Accident on Carfax is an automatic pass for me on a luxury car. Too many questions are evoked in my mind, and I'd always feel something was wrong with the vehicle decreasing performance.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:05 PM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 109 Posts

I would rather buy a low mileage 14 with no accident at that price. 14, 15 and 16 models are pretty much identical so what matters is the mileage and condition rather than model year.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:26 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

And what about all those 911s out there with accident history that the owner skirted the CarFax process? Also buy the seller, not just the car.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:32 PM
QueueCumber
Racer

Originally Posted by LexVan
And what about all those 911s out there with accident history that the owner skirted the CarFax process? Also buy the seller, not just the car.
That's what PPIs are for... Or at the least borrowing a dealer's paint meter and doing a panel check.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:05 PM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Thank you all for responding! I'm going to pass on the car and stay with a clean car fax

Originally Posted by QueueCumber
Accident on Carfax is an automatic pass for me on a luxury car. Too many questions are evoked in my mind, and I'd always feel something was wrong with the vehicle decreasing performance.
I'm sure many potential buyers of these cars feel the same way, which is supports not purchasing a car with an accident on the carfax

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
I would rather buy a low mileage 14 with no accident at that price. 14, 15 and 16 models are pretty much identical so what matters is the mileage and condition rather than model year.
I agree

yes, true, but a stain on the carfax, even without any significant damage to the car, taints the resale value

Originally Posted by QueueCumber
That's what PPIs are for... Or at the least borrowing a dealer's paint meter and doing a panel check.
never thought of that one
Old 10-14-2017, 08:23 PM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 109 Posts

There are ways of vetting this.

When I bought my Turbo S I had a guy go out and do a very rigorous inspection. He inspected the paint, put the car on a lift and inspected the chassis, checked to see if any bolts had been turned, measured paint depth, looked for clamp marks, etc. he also went in and looked at air filters and things like that. He concluded the car was never in an accident. He charged $300 which was money very well spent given the value of the car.

Now if the car had been in an accident, there are also guys who can measure the chassis with lasers and check if the car has been properly repaired.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:38 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,264 Likes on 616 Posts

Well, for peace of mind it may make sense to avoid repaired cars, but usually, it's not that rational. Practically all small damage can be repaired without a trace or degradation in performance, and practically all cars will eventually need some repairs. A friend of mine passed on a Ferarri because of a repainted bumper, paid much more for one without paintwork (but bumper paint looking ****ty). And guess what - he ended up repainting bumpers within the time he owned the car. People are almost superstitions about repaired cars, and it easy to see why - the cost of a mistake can be huge. But most of the time a good repair will be not worse than a new car

If the damage is non-structural and PPI confirms good repair, I'd not hesitate to get a repaired car, for some decrease in price, sure.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:24 PM
A/S
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 131 Posts

I bought a 2012 Carrera S with a carfax (rear ended without fram damage, just bumper cover and tail lights). Bought it $10k under market, traded it in $10 under market trade-in value.

2014-2016 Turbo S are all identical. The newer car has extra warranty. For $135k I would go for it, but I would rather go for a $145k 2015 with no history.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:49 PM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
There are ways of vetting this.

When I bought my Turbo S I had a guy go out and do a very rigorous inspection. He inspected the paint, put the car on a lift and inspected the chassis, checked to see if any bolts had been turned, measured paint depth, looked for clamp marks, etc. he also went in and looked at air filters and things like that. He concluded the car was never in an accident. He charged $300 which was money very well spent given the value of the car.

Now if the car had been in an accident, there are also guys who can measure the chassis with lasers and check if the car has been properly repaired.
thank you

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Well, for peace of mind it may make sense to avoid repaired cars, but usually, it's not that rational. Practically all small damage can be repaired without a trace or degradation in performance, and practically all cars will eventually need some repairs. A friend of mine passed on a Ferarri because of a repainted bumper, paid much more for one without paintwork (but bumper paint looking ****ty). And guess what - he ended up repainting bumpers within the time he owned the car. People are almost superstitions about repaired cars, and it easy to see why - the cost of a mistake can be huge. But most of the time a good repair will be not worse than a new car

If the damage is non-structural and PPI confirms good repair, I'd not hesitate to get a repaired car, for some decrease in price, sure.
yes, if all the boxes are checked, for the right car, agreed

Originally Posted by A/S
I bought a 2012 Carrera S with a carfax (rear ended without fram damage, just bumper cover and tail lights). Bought it $10k under market, traded it in $10 under market trade-in value.

2014-2016 Turbo S are all identical. The newer car has extra warranty. For $135k I would go for it, but I would rather go for a $145k 2015 with no history.
I agree, I'd rather spend a little more for a newer car with more warranty
Old 10-24-2017, 02:53 PM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

regarding the '16 TTS in question, I passed on the car. Not because of the CarFax blemish, but because it did not have the options I was looking for.

I appreciate everyone's replies, thank you!
Old 10-25-2017, 07:51 AM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

regarding the '16 TTS in question, I passed on the car. Not because of the CarFax blemish, but because it did not have the options I was looking for.

I appreciate everyone's replies, thank you!
Well then that's a no brainer. Accident plus lack of options = PASS.

Keep looking for the right car. In this price range, you must get what you want. The "must have" options cannot be compromised. For me they are:

18 way seats heated and vented
Heated wheel
Sport Chrono
Full leather (assuming not a TT which comes with it standard)

Good luck.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:31 AM
QueueCumber
Racer

Originally Posted by Michael_s
Well then that's a no brainer. Accident plus lack of options = PASS.

Keep looking for the right car. In this price range, you must get what you want. The "must have" options cannot be compromised. For me they are:

18 way seats heated and vented
Heated wheel
Sport Chrono
Full leather (assuming not a TT which comes with it standard)

Good luck.
So true.

I wanted:
Full leather (no odd colored tacky interiors)
burmeister
PCCB
turbo S Wheels
Sport Chrono
18 Way seats
Ventilated seats
Subtle exterior color

Quick Reply: would you buy used '16 TTS with minor accident on CarFax?