991 GT3 RS - Confirmed Orders

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015 | 02:10 AM
silverrules
Drifting

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
I'm not sure myself, but going through some previous RL comments, other OPs
have reported it means the configuration is still open and an exact production
date has not been assigned. I'll try to find out more while I'm visiting PCNA in Atlanta. Hopefully they will have a GT3RS that we can actually see, or, dare I dream, to drive??? We should all know a lot more next week.
FAST, were you at V70 and w/o dealer allocation they moved you to V160?
Old 05-12-2015 | 03:28 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dark knight
I hope so too, this limited production stuff is crap, as for exclusivity, the price alone keeps the car exclusive. They can sell all they want, but you wont see a GT3 parked in a trailer park next to an outhouse, so whats the big deal if they build more, only the flippers and gougers benefit from limiting production.
If they limit the production of non-limited cars they are just being stupid by leaving millions and millions on the table. I'll put my money that the VW/PAG bean counters will want to maximize profit and build as many cars as the market will absorb. It's just that us non-mortals without the first allocations will have to wait an extra 6-12 months to get a car after the first ones are delivered.
Old 05-12-2015 | 08:19 AM
911dev
Drifting

Originally Posted by sportscentury
Congrats! What does V160 status mean?
iircc, v160 is when the dealer actually receives the build-able allocation.
Old 05-12-2015 | 09:16 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by FastLaneTurbo
Dealer just confirmed July Production for my GT Silver RS at V160 Status
Congrats! Did you spec the buckets? Just curios with the rumored 10 week delay?
Old 05-12-2015 | 11:18 AM
FORENN
Banned

Originally Posted by 911dev
iircc, v160 is when the dealer actually receives the build-able allocation.
Thank you.

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Congrats! Did you spec the buckets? Just curios with the rumored 10 week delay?
Worth the 10-week wait.
Old 05-12-2015 | 11:28 AM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
If they limit the production of non-limited cars they are just being stupid by leaving millions and millions on the table. I'll put my money that the VW/PAG bean counters will want to maximize profit and build as many cars as the market will absorb. It's just that us non-mortals without the first allocations will have to wait an extra 6-12 months to get a car after the first ones are delivered.
I don't know, I think there is something else at work here. The bean counters are more than likely also looking at profitability for other cars that Porsche builds on the same line. My bet is that the RS is a lot less profitable than other 991s as such for every RS they build they are losing the opportunity cost of building a more profitable machine that they know will sell. Remember AP talking about changing the line to accommodate the 21" rears? I think they will limit production simply because building the RS prevents them from building more profitable 991s, Boxsters, and Caymans. The more RS they build the more cut they have to take.
Just a theory........I'm probably wrong
Old 05-12-2015 | 12:44 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

^^ +1 - Small batch manufacturing is far less profitable in most cases when you have it down to the fine art that PAG would have on the rest of the 991. I suspect this is part of why they're building more GT3s, unit margins are probably much higher due to very very low failure rates of parts during manufacturing. When you see a failure rate double from say 0.5% to 1% it really starts to eat into unit profitability and factory utilization.
Old 05-12-2015 | 07:39 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by race7117
I don't know, I think there is something else at work here. The bean counters are more than likely also looking at profitability for other cars that Porsche builds on the same line. My bet is that the RS is a lot less profitable than other 991s as such for every RS they build they are losing the opportunity cost of building a more profitable machine that they know will sell. Remember AP talking about changing the line to accommodate the 21" rears? I think they will limit production simply because building the RS prevents them from building more profitable 991s, Boxsters, and Caymans. The more RS they build the more cut they have to take.
Just a theory........I'm probably wrong
actually I have heard that the most profit comes from the "halo" cars, that the additional costs in wider body, different motors etc etc is smaller than the additional profit, lets face it how many people go to showroom and buy a base 911 instead of the GT3Rs they originally came to look at, they limit production initially because they need to feel out demand to plan ahead with suppliers, the factory as we know is flexible enough to build any of the 911 models in any sequence or amount depending on demand and suppliers
Old 05-12-2015 | 08:31 PM
allans
Burning Brakes

Told today my May Build will be delayed 10 weeks. Here we go AGAIN !
Old 05-12-2015 | 11:42 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NateOZ
^^ +1 - Small batch manufacturing is far less profitable in most cases when you have it down to the fine art that PAG would have on the rest of the 991. I suspect this is part of why they're building more GT3s, unit margins are probably much higher due to very very low failure rates of parts during manufacturing. When you see a failure rate double from say 0.5% to 1% it really starts to eat into unit profitability and factory utilization.
Nate- you are actually making the case for higher volume production- the GT3 is pushing record levels for a GT Porsche and no doubt as you say, the profit levels now that things have stabilized post stop sale are rising. The RS really should fall in the same basic production process with a few bits that are different, body, crank etc- but basic assembly relatively similar. I think what we are seeing is a ramp up to normal production next year as suppliers work out kinks and the supply chain gets ramped up. Special tires, carbon parts, engine parts- all need to go through production first article process checks, and then regular production can begin. Small lots to get that done will take the first few months on a car where total volume will probably be around 2500 units world wide. The LWB seats are a perfect example of why they want to wait to ramp up production.
Old 05-12-2015 | 11:56 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Cry me a river on the 10 week LWB delay. There are a lot a people still waiting to see if they get an allocation...and they aren't waiting for some special purdy garage queen color either
Old 05-13-2015 | 12:06 AM
poofyo101
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rockitman
Cry me a river on the 10 week LWB delay. There are a lot a people still waiting to see if they get an allocation...and they aren't waiting for some special purdy garage queen color either
Preach on...but I do want a purdy color
Old 05-13-2015 | 12:08 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

There should be a poll...how many PTS owners actually track their car on occasion....
Old 05-13-2015 | 08:50 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rockitman
There should be a poll...how many PTS owners actually track their car on occasion....
PTS Signal Yellow leading a Speed Yellow cup car.
Attached Images  
Old 05-13-2015 | 08:55 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by W8MM
PTS Signal Yellow leading a Speed Yellow cup car.

Quick Reply: 991 GT3 RS - Confirmed Orders