Sponsored by:

Track Day with Small Leak in Tire?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 03:54 AM
trader247
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by longboarder
Yes would appreciate meeting up and learning some tips. Do you have a pic of your car so I know who to look for?
You, my friend are being modest.

Old 04-18-2022, 01:24 PM
mipcar
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 64 Posts

Brining this old thread back as I made quick assumption and lost time at the track. Sometimes its the simple thing to consider.

Got my new MPSC2's mounted and car prepped for first track day weekend. Did a 30 mile check drive on the local roads.

Only got 2 sessions in on day one due to rain and cold weather. No reason to chance anything. Funny thing noted was the front right didn't seen to increase in psi as did the other tires. It was cold and was not pushing.

Next morning front right baseline was 6 psi below other 3 tires. Set pressures and for a 35F morning and set out. Front right dropped 4psi on the out lap.

What was running through our thought process was that we picked up a small puncture on day 1 that was getting worse. We did the best to visually inspect and feel around the tire. Couldn't find anything. Bummed out we loaded up and went home early.

Got home unloaded and took a closer look at the tire where we found a very loose valve stem. Actually, all 4 were loose with the front right so loose you could touch it and hear air leaking out.

I have to give some blame to the installer for not tightening the valve stems back up. I accept the responsibility that I should have checked these as part of my track prep procedure, which I will do going forward.

Super bummed I didn't catch this at the track.

Old 04-19-2022, 12:37 AM
PatrickBateman
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 79 Posts

Sorry you paid tuition in terms of track time, but on the bright side, it won’t happen again.
Old 04-19-2022, 02:18 PM
jkob5
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by mipcar
Brining this old thread back as I made quick assumption and lost time at the track. Sometimes its the simple thing to consider.

Got my new MPSC2's mounted and car prepped for first track day weekend. Did a 30 mile check drive on the local roads.

Only got 2 sessions in on day one due to rain and cold weather. No reason to chance anything. Funny thing noted was the front right didn't seen to increase in psi as did the other tires. It was cold and was not pushing.

Next morning front right baseline was 6 psi below other 3 tires. Set pressures and for a 35F morning and set out. Front right dropped 4psi on the out lap.

What was running through our thought process was that we picked up a small puncture on day 1 that was getting worse. We did the best to visually inspect and feel around the tire. Couldn't find anything. Bummed out we loaded up and went home early.

Got home unloaded and took a closer look at the tire where we found a very loose valve stem. Actually, all 4 were loose with the front right so loose you could touch it and hear air leaking out.

I have to give some blame to the installer for not tightening the valve stems back up. I accept the responsibility that I should have checked these as part of my track prep procedure, which I will do going forward.

Super bummed I didn't catch this at the track.
Been there done that. I've been told the the wheel and valve stem area heat / shrink due to extreme temperatures and thus the valve stems get loose. I now carry that size socket with me in the car (though I forget what size now heh)

Quick Reply: Track Day with Small Leak in Tire?