Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS VS 991.2 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 01:35 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
Interesting, and you would know this how? Whats the difference around a track? I can tell you in relation to the 991.1 GT3 and in relation to a 997 Cup car.

Why would Porsche want to sell the GT3T as a GTS? That would make no sense. The assumption that the very tiny purist market can run the agenda is amusing, hence Porsche built the GTS the way it is and as a consequence it has been well received by reviewers and buyers alike..
As usual you twist my words. I've driven enough FI and NA cars to know the experience is different is between the two powerplants and I've read the comments of dozens of reviewers on each specific car, so I feel pretty comfortable that my 'opinion' about them being a different experience is probably a reasonable comment. Sorry I didn't run that past you before posting.

My last point, was my opinion/hope. I believe that the GTS should be a high horsepower naturally aspirated car with a 6 speed and a bit of an edge to it, not a sticker kit car like it was with the .1 or a turbo car like it is with the .2. It would be nice if Porsche actually offered a raw, sporty, lighter car in its regular lineup rather than requiring the purchase of a GT car to get it. And perfect positioning would be at the high end of the range, as a GTS. You can already spec an S with the powerkit anyway; save the GTS for a more special car IMO.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:37 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

thr GTS is a good car but its not a GT3 period
Old 11-24-2017, 01:49 PM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 897 Likes on 569 Posts

The GTS is an amazing car, it's everything the GT3 aspires to be on the street but can't be due to its DNA. While a GT3 would outperform a GTS on the track, I doubt it completely pulls away from a well driven GTS on a short track (~2.0 miles). That said, I suspect the FEEL of both cars would be drastically different, with the GT3 easier, more effortless to drive fast and the GTS requiring slightly more attention. Both are amazing cars, I love my GT3 but the GTS is no slouch, especially the .2 GTS (with turbo).
Old 11-24-2017, 02:13 PM
JEI-Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I have both a PDK ’18 4 GTS Targa & 911R. On most public streets it seems easier to more often enjoy quick bursts of torque and slingshot between bends vs revving out the R to really feel & hear it’s NA fireworks. They both are fantastic cars, just very different in the experience they deliver. By the seat of my pants, the GTS certainly does not feel any slower than the R.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:20 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero

^and you have an heavy weight Targa
go figure!
Old 11-24-2017, 02:23 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
Some of us, somewhat surprisingly, can appreciate the Cayman has the best chassis...
The only surprise in that statement is that you feel the strut equipped Cayman is actually the “best chassis”. Have you experienced it over the limit, traction control off, etc?
Old 11-24-2017, 03:50 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,578 Likes on 1,602 Posts

The GTS is a fast car, but the chassis and steering are nowhere near the GTS. Great everyday driver and plenty quick, but feels way more remote and disconnected.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:29 PM
superchargedman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for sharing. You can't lose with that fleet. The spyder is interesting but I'd still rather gt4. Not enough top down times here in the north.
Originally Posted by Petevb
I’d keep the 1M alongside the GT3 without question. Very different driving experiences, especially if you’re comfortable with traction control off in the 1M. I spent over 70k sideways miles in that hooligan, and while it’s far more flawed than the GT4 I confess to missing it more.

I have two 1969 hot rod Porsche’s I’m trying to keep, one of which checks the “sideways” box. I’m keeping an electric daily- upgrading the Fiat, which was actually kinda fun, to a Tesla Model 3. Still trying to decide what to replace the Audi S3 with. It’s my wife’s car, but the S3 was a mistake in hindsight. I was thinking maybe Jaguar F Type R until I drove one- still looking. If she would have taken the 1M that might have been a good solution, but...

I would add a Spyder if I get the chance. Enjoy that car much more than I’d expected to.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:46 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by superchargedman
Thanks for sharing. You can't lose with that fleet. The spyder is interesting but I'd still rather gt4. Not enough top down times here in the north.
I’m a hard-top guy, and 9 out of 10 will go that direction. I like the Spyder in particular though because in addition to the noise it’s got a lot less tire and more progressive breakaway (for the street, unless you get the PSC2s nice and hot). It’s never going to be a 1M, but I found it more adjustable. The GT4’s harder to hold a slight angle with for me- especially in the wet it’s either tidy or pretty sideways, where the Spyder was happier to play in-between. I hear you on the weather though, not much you can do about that, and if you’re competing the choice is also pretty obvious.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:45 PM
superchargedman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I set my sway bars and alignment up perfectly to have smooth break away in the gt4. Also the dunlops seem to let loose pretty easily. But like you said, the 1m is happiest when it's *** is out. Either way I'm lucky to keep one or the other.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:01 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,528 Likes on 5,055 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
thr GTS is a good car but its not a GT3 period
Or you could just as well say, "The GT3 is a good car, but it's not a GTS period."

Just depends on perspective.

Make sure when you're backing away from the Kool-Aid, not to trip over yourself.
The following users liked this post:
Min Choi (04-13-2020)
Old 11-25-2017, 02:57 AM
fxz
Race Car

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Or you could just as well say, "The GT3 is a good car, but it's not a GTS period."

Just depends on perspective.

Make sure when you're backing away from the Kool-Aid, not to trip over yourself.
1 is not 2 and 2 is not 1 right?

well depends from which perspective!!

i.e. both are numbers isn t it ?

that statement was implying that you test drove both and of course is obviously reversible

because saying on standardized tests are 0 to 60 similar
is miss leading ppl in their opinions

if a GT3 is not a GTS a GTS is not a GT3

in other words jumping from an S/GTS to a 3/RS is a totally different driving experience so different that driving them
you d have perceived 2 DIFFERENT cars

again notice there s no better statement but DIFFERENT

btw going to my personal pov is that a GT3 is the only 911 on Porsche production today
but this is another story because you have to drive it to make a decision

Last edited by fxz; 11-25-2017 at 03:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Min Choi (04-13-2020)
Old 11-25-2017, 03:42 PM
FastLaneTurbo
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

I drove the Turboed C2S, GT3RS and '17 TTS at my last Porsche Master's Course at Barber Motorsports Track last year and I was amazed how close it could stay to the
TTS and 3RS lapping with us. It was my first experience with the smaller 3.0 L TC engine in the Carrera, and it was the car that impressed me the most. It drove as a far lighter
and more nimble car around corners compared with the TTS, and the surprising low-RPM Torque of the C2S on Barber's Large Elevation Changes up the hills could pull the 3RS.
Although it did not drive with the GT3's precision, it came surprisingly close. Considering how close the average Torque through the useful Rev range of the C2S to the GT3,
and the hundreds of lbs of weight advantage of the GTS over the TTS, I would not be surprised that the GTS laptimes
on shorter tracks of all 3 cars would be very close if all cars were on comparable Tires.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:31 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,528 Likes on 5,055 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
1 is not 2 and 2 is not 1 right?

well depends from which perspective!!

i.e. both are numbers isn t it ?

that statement was implying that you test drove both and of course is obviously reversible

because saying on standardized tests are 0 to 60 similar
is miss leading ppl in their opinions

if a GT3 is not a GTS a GTS is not a GT3

in other words jumping from an S/GTS to a 3/RS is a totally different driving experience so different that driving them
you d have perceived 2 DIFFERENT cars

again notice there s no better statement but DIFFERENT

btw going to my personal pov is that a GT3 is the only 911 on Porsche production today
but this is another story because you have to drive it to make a decision
I see our patient here has a very high Blood Kool-Aid Content.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:57 AM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

The GTS is a great daily driver and the best 911 in the lineup for fun daily driving. It sounds good and rides really well what for it can do. Mine also has RWS so it handles pretty well too. Clutch is light and shift is light and reasonably precise. Steering is very good.

GT3 is just harder everywhere. Harder ride, steering, shifting (more precise and mechanical), seats (LWB). GTS is quick but GT3 actually has more torque everywhere and acceleration is more visceral and manic. Running around town at similar speeds ,the GTS will be operating at a higher average rpm than the GT3. GT3 can be louder when above 3700 rpm or so. Mine has center-muffler delete, so its even louder. All that adds up to a much more of an event when driving it compared to driving the GTS which is more of a very fun daily driver.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS VS 991.2 GT3